1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's Black Note (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 9, 2013.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Is it true that Bells and Chicago's distributor for Bells got into a fight over allocations and there is no BN coming to chicago now?
  2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Dear lord, tell me it's true, tell me it's true! This would be amusing.
    Larry and Illinois = Not friends.
  3. That is correct. World Class takes care of most of Indiana, but Indiana Beer, now called Indiana Beverage bought out the Northern Indiana distribution area, and they are now the distributors of Bell's in N. IN.
    bozodogbreath likes this.
  4. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I spoke with a local liquor store today. The guy said that they did not want Hopslam an BN to come out the same week. Hopslam this week, BN next. Hope he's right.
  5. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Thank-you. And what I heard is they received 20 cases.
  6. For anyone still looking in metro detroit; there were some bottles on the shelf at ml spirits in Birmingham as of about 7 pm tonight. No limit except for the one you may impose on yourself at $10 a bottle. Also, per their Facebook, 8 Degrees of Plato in Ferndale will be doing their release this Sunday morning...11 am if I'm not mistaken.
    Czar_chasm and MarcatGSB like this.
  7. CanisMajor

CanisMajor Savant (280) Indiana Oct 24, 2012

Did this land anywhere in NW IN?

Canis
  8. DrHopHead

DrHopHead Aficionado (130) Michigan May 18, 2010

They had BA Batch 9000 on draft at Bell's last night...wish i could have made the 2 hour drive :-(
  9. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (385) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

Looks like Black Note is on tap today at Bell's!! I will be there for lunch:)
  10. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (385) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

Btw, they also have BB Batch 9000, 07' BB Cherry Stout, BB Kalamazoo Stout firkin, and BB expedition.

I might BLACK out!
  11. sidetracked

sidetracked Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2009

...which would explain why we get Hopsoulution instead of Oracle. :(
  12. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

That is actually, the reason why you got Hopsolution.
    adamdd likes this.
  13. Any sightings of this in Northern Virginia or DC metro area yet???
  14. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

Just snagged a single bottle for $6.50 in the western suburbs of Chicago. They weren't on the shelf, so no clue what kind of stock they have/had.
  15. Wish I could get some :(
  16. rsenters29

rsenters29 Zealot (95) Michigan Nov 19, 2012

Just purchased two for pack of Bells Black Note Stout today and I'm very pleased with the end results thanks Bells fro making such amazing STOUTS!!!
  17. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Didn't take the time to read the whole thread but I'm seeing a 1 case limit here in some posts... the store I got it at (and the only place in my area that has it) had a 1 bottle per person limit! And I live in MI! They are normal 12 oz bottles, damn it! To put that into perspective, they limited Hopslam to 1 case per person, but I'm not an IPA fan so I haven't tried that but it seems to have even more hype. Haven't tried the Black Note yet as I'm getting over a cold and I want to fully taste it at $2+ an ounce... I'm hoping it lives up to the hype.
  18. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

Someone charged $24 for 1 12 oz bottle of Blacknote? Yikes
  19. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

It was 6 something a bottle, and my drunk ass fails at math right now... sorry! Should be 50 cents an ounce because I reversed the math; thanks for pointing out my fail!
    JohnB87 likes this.
  20. Tap takeover in Burton tomorrow, ba 9000, black note, hop slam, sweet potato stout, all on tap
  21. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (410) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

i came back from the eccentric cafe with two 750ml bottles. kind of wishing i had access to a few 4packs, as well.
  22. Today they had 750s?
  23. rodlavers

24. Probably the only place that sold this beer by the case was at Bell's General Store, and I think they did have a 1-case limit. A one or two bottle limit appears to be the situation everywhere else.
  25. rodlavers

sorry no, it was two weeks ago that general store had 750's.
  26. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Does anyone else that has had BN and BB Expedition have any insight to why they'd add a cream stout to a massive imperial stout? I personally would rather just have BB Expo...
    chefkevlar and JohnB87 like this.
  27. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Anyone else going?
  28. I'll be there.
  29. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Bb expo is really really thick, imo almost undrinkable. I mean its smells and taste wonderfull but adding the double cream just makes the mouthfeel so much better
    steebo777 and Mothergoose03 like this.
  30. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

This is most definitely the first thing I have ever heard that is even remotely negative about BB Expedition. I hope to try it sometime to compare.
  31. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

To me it tastes like bourbon in expo, literally, not at all like their cream stout.
  32. CityofBals

I wish I could try it some time, hopefully at the next FOBAB... I just can't image a 12% stout overpowering me with viscosity and flavor to the point of undrinkability. BN was quite delicious, but I almost like BB9K more... That's just splitting hairs though.
  33. founder26

Like I said it is a great beer, but I wasnt the only one in our group that had the same feelings about it.
  34. founder26

It is that thick man you will see when you try it, more so then bb9k, hell more then marshall zhukov
    JohnB87 likes this.
  35. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Stop. My pants are getting shorter.
    CityofBals likes this.
  36. founder26

Lol what?
    Levitation likes this.
  37. I was at the barrel-aged beer tasting on Wednesday that was part of Kzoo Beer Week so I had the opportunity to taste Black Note along the BB Expedition. I thought that the BB Expedition was a conflict of bold flavors (the heavy malts and the bourbon) that was overpowering (although it was a great experience to try it). Blending the Expedition with the Cream Stout tempered the Expedition's flavor and produced a great beer in Black Note.
    adamdd likes this.
  38. CityofBals

I figured it was mostly for mouth feel reasons, because there's no way any aroma or taste from the cream stout would make it past Expo or bourbon. I wonder what the ratio is...
  39. Hindsight

Hindsight Aficionado (245) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

Are you still hearing this?
  40. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

dammit i wish bells came to california.
    1424IpA likes this.