1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's Black Note (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 9, 2013.

1. broodog

broodog Savant (335) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

Just picked up 3 bottles of BN in the Near West Suburbs of Chicago. They were charging $9.99 per bottle. Ouch!
  2. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Yes.
    Hindsight likes this.
  3. Timceattle

Timceattle Initiate (0) Washington Nov 28, 2012

Still lookin to trade.. I could really do anything that we get out here in the Northwest that you don't get in the Midwest..
  4. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

OK Manti Te'o...sorry, I had to use that at least once.
  5. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I has 1 12 oz and one 750... but someone is gonna have to get realllll freaky for this one, not trying to be a dick.
  6. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (450) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Got a bunch, in Chicago, need some good stuff, BM me
  7. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

POKE!

I saw you today.....Right after, I went a grabbed a couple 4-packs of Black Note :D :D :D

Maybe I'll trade ya some ';)
    YogiBeer likes this.
  8. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Soo, you post in the Chicagoland thread that you did not enjoy Black Note, and in fact hinted at the fact you wanted to GIVE it away...yet, you went and bought "a couple more" four packs, while other BA's haven't even had the chance to buy one single bottle? Fuck yourself, Playa.
    adamdd, stxSS07, siege06nd and 14 others like this.
  9. vw73182

vw73182 Aficionado (175) Indiana Oct 6, 2007

This
    Marti403 and fiver29 like this.
  10. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

^This...except I would edit it down to;

"Drinking beer is very stressful. I always feel like there is something else that I should be drinking when I am drinking whatever I am drinking."
    waddellc2 likes this.
  11. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

He didn't actually buy multiple four packs of it.
  12. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I agree. Beer collecting (and any hobby where people are chasing rare goods) is a test of character. Can you manage to enjoy whatever it is you've got without worrying that the grass is greener somewhere else? Can you deal with the inevitable disappointment without losing your cool and your dignity? It's analogous to accepting your place in society. There will always be people better off and worse off than you, it's up to you to deal with that fact gracefully.
    JohnDMartin, BigTomZ, FEUO and 2 others like this.
  13. rsenters29

rsenters29 Zealot (95) Michigan Nov 19, 2012

Well I was able to buy a case total of the Black Note from about two different stores,so good luck to the rest of you still looking I hear it's still out there!
  14. sweatervest27

sweatervest27 Savant (260) Ohio Oct 13, 2009

Maybe they will ;)
    KevSal and gpawned like this.
  15. foobula

Thanks for the specifics! I'm quite sure your post will serve as a valuable resource for any BA's trying in vain to track it down.
    montman likes this.
  16. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

NWI is getting very little of this - possibly as few a 4 cases. Stores will be lucky to get more than a 4 pack.
    CanisMajor likes this.
  17. CanisMajor

CanisMajor Savant (280) Indiana Oct 24, 2012

Yeah, that's what I figured. Just wondering if I didn't miss it. I have my name down at places, but haven't heard anything yet. I should have just made the trip up to Bells, oh well. Thanks man.

Canis
  18. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (450) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Bells still had it at the general store as of yesterday
    CanisMajor likes this.
  19. foobula

Whaa? If true Bell's sure is throwing everyone for a loop with this release, including their own store employees.
  20. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

It's kzoo beer week. Not surprised if they hid a bunch for the weekend crowds.
  21. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Staggered release is standard for Bell's. They will only put out so much at a time, this has always been by design.
    JohnB87 and founder26 like this.
  22. It sounds like they made more of this than most people think. Any official production numbers?
  23. Foamfollower

Foamfollower Initiate (0) Illinois Jul 28, 2004

The very good beer store that I go to in the Chicago suburbs only got one case, and were limiting to one bottle per person. It's stashed and waiting for the right moment.
  24. Foamfollower

Foamfollower Initiate (0) Illinois Jul 28, 2004

So true...but try not to make it a contest. There is SO damn much good beer out there, that you never have a reason not to be happy with what you are drinking.
  25. foobula

Yeah, I'm not surprised at the staggered release aspect, just surprised that the guy I talked to was really sure they were done selling this season's supply. Guess even the General Store employees are given release info on a need-to-know basis.
  26. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

My feeling is, the General Store employees really have no reason TO know. Sure they should be educated about the product they are selling, but from a business stand point, they don't need to know how much of a certain stock they have.
    JohnB87 likes this.
  27. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

The way I see it, these are the ways to get limited releases with little effort:

1. Work at a beer store

2. Be really tight with the beer buyer at a store.

3. Consistently spend hundreds every month at a beer store.

* You won't be the only one trying #2 and #3 and there are no guarantees.

If you are like the majority of us and don't fit into the above 3 categories, you will have to deal with all the nonsense that goes along with chasing limited releases. It is easy to figure out when a store gets their deliveries, but you will likely need at least one of the following to capitalize:

1. Work evenings or nights.

2. Have a job that allows you to come and go as you please.

3. Have a job that is within a few minutes of a beer store.

4. Call out of work on delivery day.

5. Be willing to change your schedule to be at the store at the right time to catch delivery.

* You won't be the only one trying these and there are no guarantees.

I actually fit #1, working evening shifts. I still strike out all the time, and no longer waste my time trying.
    EyePeeAyBryan and bld81 like this.
  28. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Could also just go to a place that has it on tap.
  29. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I've failed that way also. In a busy city/metro area it still depends what time you get there.
  30. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I fall in #2 and 3. I'm never more than 10-15 minutes from a few good shops, and I have a job where I can literally bolt for the door as soon as the announcement hits Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/etc.
  31. DrHopHead

DrHopHead Aficionado (130) Michigan May 18, 2010

Do you still have that Collaboration 4 pack?? Also - if you ever need anything here (like Short's, which makes awesome beer but only distributes in Mi.) let me know and I would be willing to grab stuff and swap other stuff too.
    Between Bell's, Founders, Arcadia, Dark Horse and Short's - those are 5 breweries that just make fantastic beer, but not sure what you can get out your way.
  32. DrHopHead

I have traded (2) 4 packs and have another to trade if you have something to trade...
  33. DrHopHead

I have 4 packs for trade...what you got?
  34. DrHopHead

Kerry - Just a suggestion, at $2/ounce let it age at least 3 months. It will even be more amazing 3 - 12 months from now if you can wait that long.
  35. DrHopHead

Tell me more...I have some to trade...
  36. DrHopHead

I have some for trade...
  37. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

^ I think this guy has a few to trade....
  38. Question for Bell's Aficianados - I'll be at Bell's Brewery on 2/8-9 for Greensky Bluegrass...any chance it will be on tap?? I'm not familiar with this release, but I'm thinking its my only shot to get some. Thanks in advance!
  39. What's the going price for a Black Note 4-pak? Guessing $20-25?
  40. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Ever hear of sending a BM? Jesus