1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bells Black Note Coming to Madison!

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Ri0, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Hmm, enjoy! Well worth stopping by for a snifter or two.
    jegross2 likes this.
  3. Lexo430

Lexo430 Disciple (70) Illinois Dec 27, 2011

Me thinks 4 cases or less for all of Madison.
  4. MarcatGSB

But it's on tap! Drink your two four packs worth, and take a cab home. It's so damn good.
  5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

just had to call to get in on the lottery at Riley's for their BA Black Note. probably won't win, but that'd be awesome. going to see if i can make the tapping!
  6. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (405) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

It's just called Black Note. That would be like calling Bourbon County Brand Stout BA BCBS.
  7. Stevedore

Oh right of course. I blame the FBS and ZD I just drank.
  8. Stevedore

Waiting for a buddy to get back into town so we can head over and talk life over a Black Note. I'm assuming its a full keg they have, so I'm going to just hope they still have some left in a few hours.
  9. Ri0

You could go enjoy a glass while you wait for your buddy! Man I wish I could make it today.
  10. Overheard its a quarter barrel and there isn't very many folks here. Should be on for awhile. It's great!
    Ri0 likes this.
  11. MarcatGSB

I'm fairly sure Bell's only does quarter barrels of Black Note, BUT I could be wrong. The one we tapped in September was definitely a quarter.
  12. Stevedore

Delicious. It was full of dark chocolate and espresso, and as it warmed up you could taste the bourbon. So good I had to get another glass even though I'm meeting with another friend tonight to drink off a few bombers.. prob Night Stalker and BCBCS.
    Ri0 and MarcatGSB like this.
  13. Sent the message to my brother whose GF lives in Madison and he said it was delicious. I'm sure he saw some of you guys.
  14. Stevedore

My liver hurts. Although I think my palate prefers Black Note to BCBCS; although a more fair comparison would be to BCBS but I'll have to say BCBS is slightly > Black Note for me.
  15. Stevedore

Btw, Ri0, thanks for posting that. I wasn't really paying attention to my twitter feed lately and might have missed this bit of news. Hope we can meet up sometime so I can give you some ZD to try. I still got about 2 sixers in my stash so it won't run out anytime soon.
    Ri0 likes this.
  16. Ri0

BTW Brickhouse BBQ still has some left on tap if you missed out yesterday as I saw on their twitter feed just now.

How much was a glass for those who went?
  17. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (535) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

This is actually still on as of noon or so today. I enjoyed 2 glasses with lunch!
  18. Ri0

So the bottles arrived, but I blinked... :(
  19. Woodman's might have some.
  20. Ri0

As luck would have it they still did. I finally got a bottle. Shocked.
  21. Stevedore

I got one at Steve's and that's it. Woodman's west doesn't have any more left- just drove by to check and grab a few quick groceries. I don't much feel like chasing down more since I have my one bottle already and checked at Woodman's. I have enough BCBS in my hoard and already had 3 glasses when it was on tap earlier. Great beer! :)

P.S. Rio, since nobody answered your previous question, it was $10 a goblet. Definitely on the pricey side, but I thought it was worth it especially since at the time, we weren't getting any bottles in.
  22. Stevedore

And all things considered, it's not that much more than $7 a bottle which I assume is the going price in Madison these days if you can find it. Yikes.

Edit- I thought I'd just add that the guys at both Steve's University and Woodman's West said they each got 4 4-pks, or 16 bottles.
  23. Me and a buddy picked up a bottle each at Woodman's on Milwaukee for $7. Hyvee didn't get any.
  24. Ri0

Sun Prairie. I really got lucky. I had to leave work at 12:45 and they had 4 bottles sitting behind the checkout.
  25. I bought one from each Woodman's and had a friend get me an additional.

A lot of hoopla around a beer if you ask me. Also curious as to where they've been since the sons of bitches were brewed in December.
  26. Ri0

I'd take one more, just so I could give it to someone. Getting one was an accomplishment for me just because I don't have time to chase beer.
  27. Stevedore

Seriously man, good for you- just be sure to share it with friends!

Regarding the hoopla: yeah, it's a matter of supply and demand. I wonder if the distributors that cover Madison sat on them for whatever reason, maybe making sure they have enough.
  28. Stevedore

Makes me wonder if I'm ever, ever going to get my hands on KBS when it hits Madison. Jesus Christ, that is going to be a shitshow. At least I can blame it on my work schedule.

29. I just happened to be off today AND got a heads up the night before about it coming out, so I was able to hit each store. I plan on sharing each one, I always share the limited/out of state stuff.
  30. Also, just a heads up....Jenifer Street will have it early tomorrow afternoon. Same deal, 16 bottles only, so 1 bottle per person.
  31. Stevedore

Thanks for the heads up. Probably not happening since I'm tied up at work till 4. Hopefully you guys get some! You must be well connected to know all these timelines
  32. I bet if you head there after work, you could get one. I don't think I will buy another.

I just called around a bunch today to try to find where it all was and got some good info from the manager. A lot of store managers who are fellow BAs are pretty cool.
  33. Stevedore

Perhaps- I'll check my Twitter feed when I get off, but I'm sure people have seen your post and plan to immediately raid the place at 12:01pm ;)
  34. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Try living in Chicago ;)
  35. Did anyone go to Jenifer Street yesterday? They didn't Tweet about it, but the manager was very certain they were supposed to have it yesterday afternoon.
  36. Stevedore

Totally forgot about this thread. I never went to JSM- stuff came up so I stayed later than expected and decided I'd rather go straight home afterwards (I live in the other direction).

I wonder if there's any Black Note left for sale anywhere in Madison, including JSM.