1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's Black Note

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by foobula, Apr 6, 2013.

1. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

It isn't speculation on the order of "hey I just made something up" it's a precise reading of a poorly written label.

stayclean and highdesertdrinker like this.
  2. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

That is a new formulation for Black Note. Black Note was 70% Double Cream and 30% Expedition, according to David Bell. I was also under the impression that the blend was aged in bourbon barrels - which it still may be. The wording on that label is ambiguous.

3. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

All following versions of BN will be HORRIBLE! Leave them on the shelves in Michigan. (Just tell me where you saw them please)

4. MichPaul

Hmmm... Guess I was imagining when I bought my 750's then which sucks because I love this beer! :( (Runs to the basement to make sure they are still there) WHEW!

foobula likes this.
  5. key words are "isn't true this year"

6. broodog

broodog Savant (360) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

Can you cite your source that David Bell said this?

7. kdb150

No. He told me at a Bell's event at The Big Hunt in DC last year.

8. This thread is great.

Regardless of what the percentages are, it seems pretty clear from all the evidence presented (keg label include and interpreted grammatically) that Black Note is made from taking Double Cream blending it with Expedition then putting the combination in a bourbon barrel for an indeterminate amount of time.

9. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Had BN once and it was the kittie's titties.

No Joke

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  10. So who shot first: Han or Greedo?

11. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I wouldn't call a keg label a source. Especially because it can easily be read the proper way which is 50% of each and 100% BA.

12. Can I find it amusing that you say it's poorly written when it's simultaneously grammatically correct? :)

13. lsbell

lsbell Aficionado (105) Michigan Mar 7, 2008

Hey BA's!

Just to make sure we're all on the same page regarding Black Note, the way the label is written is for the TTB formula. Black Note is 50% Expedition Stout and 50% Double Cream Stout, aged separately in bourbon barrels and then blended post barrel aging. I hope this helps clear up any questions!

Cheers!

Laura S. Bell
    Director of Marketing
    Bell's Brewery, Inc.

14. kdb150

Is the 50/50 blend based on pre- or post-barrel-aging volumes, and has the recipe been constant over the past several years?

15. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I think you may have inferred too much into my use of the word speculate. I was merely speaking about engaging in a course of reasoning based on inconclusive evidence. The should not minimize your question at all, it was based off of legitimate evidence, but at the time we were still making assumptions based incomplete information or what I called speculating.

16. Okay, somebody needs to save this reply for the sake of the next time we all discuss this recipe. ;)

Thanks, Laura.

17. foobula

Care to cite your source on that? :D :D :D

But seriously, thanks for taking the time to respond with the authoritative word. I'm sure when I have BN on draft soon I'll be just as impressed as last year.

18. foobula

That's cool. I can go along with that. Time to crack open a hopslam and chill.

19. Orloliz

Orloliz Disciple (55) Michigan Nov 27, 2011

Living within driving distance of Bell's and Founder's I find myself spoiled. This past weekend we opened a bottle of Bourbon County, Black Note and KBS. There were six of us and we all got a taste to compare the three fantatic beers. We did this while watching Michigan play Syracuse.

JxExM likes this.
  20. And.....?

21. foobula

And it's Orloliz's first post, welcome!

22. And a gracious BA welcome to you, Oroliz, but don't leave us hanging. Let us know your comparison thoughts. :)

23. MichPaul

Ummm... Mine are the last batch to come out. Have they put out a 2013 batch yet or released the fact that they will no longer be bottling them in 750ml format? Where you gettin your facts bro?

24. foobula

I think either 1up didn't know the 750's were sold at the brewery a few months ago, or he was just focused on the 12-oz bottles that hit distro.

25. I didn't know they released 750s this year

26. MichPaul

That's alright. We have all learned quite a bit about speculation through this thread. :p
    Happy Beer Hunting fellas!

OneBeertoRTA and Mothergoose03 like this.
  27. Orloliz

Orloliz Disciple (55) Michigan Nov 27, 2011

Sorry, all the beers fantastic. But I have to agree Black Note out of the bottle is not near as good on tap. Bourbon County had a very strong bourbon taste, maybe too much. It was my first KBS and it was good. but I just got about a shot and half. I hope to have my own this weekend.

We were fortunate to get a couple 750ml (gave one away as a Christmas present to my son-in-law) and a four pack of black note. We also, purchased two four packs of KBS.

foobula and Mothergoose03 like this.
  28. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

/definitive
    /thread

29. foobula

That's good to hear... I had nothing but tap Black Note last year, and have had all bottles so far this year. I'm looking forward to finding it on tap again.

Anyone have any experience with BA Batch 9000 on draft vs. bottle? It's probably my #1 beer, which I've had twice on draft.