1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Bell's Brewery Inc. to be sold? Larry Bell says it's possible"

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Apr 29, 2012.

1. plaid75

plaid75 Advocate (740) New York Jan 13, 2005

Maybe they'll come to NY now.

2. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I would think their expansion will allow them for more production thus more markets.

3. I don't know if they plan on going into new markets, but they may. They do plan on making more Two Hearted to meet demand for the markets they are in, 14 of the specail tank that they dry hop in were added, vs the 2 they had before. The new brewery also has allowed them to go from a 24/7 production to 24/5, giving the brewers some weekend time, while making more beer. Toured the new brewery last Saturday, it was impressive (and where I got the tank and shift information).

4. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Savant (485) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

Isn't this how takeovers happen? I thought this is how the Buschs lost control of AB to InBev, if you can get a majority of shareholders on your side you can change the board of directors. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an Econ guy).

5. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

larry told me at a bell's event he "hates" NY and has no desire for his beer to ever be sold here.

6. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Exactly, so the sooner Mr. "I hate NY because I'm ignorant" Larry Bell is out of the picture, the better I will like it. He may hate NY (how the fuck do you hate a state, was he terrorized by a map once??), but I love Expedition Stout and Hopslam.

beerFool28607 and xerenthar like this.
  7. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

I could understand being of that opinion if it were another brewery. But I have yet to have a beer from bells that was anything less than a fantastic example of the style. They are all just so damn good, I would be crushed If BMC acquired them and started making product you know shouldn't taste that way. Potentially retiring awesome things like The Oracle or Hopslam.

8. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

YEAH! Like what happened to Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout when AB took over! Oh wait...that's not at all what happened... http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...ounty-stout-to-be-available-year-round.12465/

Terrapinfan, Don't forget that last year Terrapin sold a minority stake in their company to MillerCoors to buy out some troublesome investors and pay for an expansion... http://onlineathens.com/local-news/...nority-interest-brewery-miller-coors-division

I wouldn't be surprised if Larry Bell does the same thing.

9. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

I haven't really been a fan of how difficult it's been to get their beer as of late, or the price of the ones we manage to get a hold of since, the also dropped some beers from their line up.

And Goose Island was purchased in its entirety if I'm not mistaken, Again I dont know what their portfolio was like before but it seems like they have a lot of retired beers. I said POTENTIALLY we could lose some awesome beers.

10. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Sell to pay for an expansion? Wouldn't that have made more sense before the completed their $50 million+ 200 barrel brewhouse? At this point they have plenty of room to grow into their new digs before they think about expanding.

11. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Expansion was part of Terrapin's reason for selling a minority stake to MillerCoors. The other reason was to buy-out some uncooperative minority investors. Sound familiar?

beerFool28607 likes this.
  12. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Sure, there are some similarities there but I am sure there have been plenty of instances in the past that involved uncooperative investors than did not lead to selling off a piece to one of the big boys.

We are talking about Larry Bell here. The same Larry Bell who has fought tooth and nail to make sure his product is distributed and sold in a manner he sees fit. If he sells it is not his product any more but it is still his name and it is still his legacy, would big beer treat his product with the respect he demands? Would he be willing to sell to a company or an individual which he has questions about the quality of the product moving forward? I am just speculating, just like you are but I am a bit more skeptical at this point.

13. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

The Mayor of Michigan has spoken... and I like what he says.

14. dont sell. i might die if i cant get hopslam every year