1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's Hopslam (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

[​IMG]

http://instagram.com/p/T_tUp8sTlc/

Look what Bell's bottled today...

No word on exact release date yet, but their website says this is returning this month.

Slight confession: I've never had this. I didn't really discover my love for IPA's until after this had left the market last year, so I'm very excited to try this and see how it stacks up to Oracle, Ruination, and other hop bombs, having the reputation of being THE hop bomb.

2. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

It doesn't suck.

3. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Yep I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some. Hopefully they make it out to WI (no reason why it shouldn't) soon.

4. I called my local place in Georgia to get an ETA on this just today. Late January, early February.

I was blown away by it last year(limit of (1)6 pack per person). I'm hoping they'll be able to get a bigger allotment for 2013.

5. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Hopslam is in 6 packs, at least it was last year.

PABSTMASTER likes this.
  6. Good looking out, and even better news ;) . Most of their(the store I go to) limited brews come in 4 packs, so I was just recounting recent history.

7. rrski198

rrski198 Savant (330) Georgia Mar 7, 2010

I had it a ton when I lived in MO and it always came in a 6 pack, about $18/6

8. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Awwwwww yeaaaaaa. Just in time for me to visit my folks back home in Brighton. Gonna have to snag at least a 4pk to bring back to ME.

fmccormi likes this.
  9. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Oh no... there goes my beer budget for the next couple months. ;)

10. Bells doesn't make 4 packs. I doubt the allotment will go up unless they really increased production. I have only been buying this stuff for 3 or 4 years and it gets harder to find every year.

11. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

this year's is way too boozy and not quite as hoppy as years past.

TryppZ, Swim424, ditch and 17 others like this.
  12. I addressed the 4/6 pack confusion in a previous post. The place I go to didn't get more than a couple cases of it last year.

And now that I'm remembering, I believe they enforced a 4 bottle limit, as opposed to a (1)6 pack limit.

13. sandbergandy

sandbergandy Zealot (85) Minnesota Nov 21, 2012

This was one of the first beers that really gave me sticker shock a few years back, and then I tried it. Totally worth the price.

founder26 and fredmugs like this.
  14. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (150) Virginia Jun 15, 2012

I thought that about the '12 Hopslam.

15. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

FIFY.

fmccormi, Zaphog, JulianB and 3 others like this.
  16. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Plenty of release parties in Michigan pretty much starting now. My local craft bar in Indiana is rolling it out on the 21st. A year ago when I was a noob I bought a mix six with just IPAs for a super bowl party and that was one of my random selections based on the name alone. Imagine my surprise when I took that first drink.

I don't think it's similar to The Oracle at all. I recently had a Hopsoulution and it's similar to that.

17. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

IPA's go bad after 23 hours. Sadly Hopslam will be a drain pour by the time we get it.

18. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

YESSSSSSSSSS. You can get it at bars around here for 4 dollars a bottle. Very excite.

19. I think I secured a case last year for around 68 bucks. I was pissed to find somewhere around me that had it in the 10.99 mixed six section. Good times...

20. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

One of my favorites.

21. Had it once and it was awesome! Please someone trade with me :(...

22. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

mmmmm, just like hop sex

cnbrown313, YogiBeer and Lipsntoes like this.
  23. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

My favorite beer time of year! Countless Hopslam threads to follow.

I generally find it around $60 to 65 a case and buy one, and if it's good (and it always has been) I'll buy a few more.

All things considered, it's my favorite beer.

Lipsntoes likes this.
  24. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I need to get my trading partners lined up.

Sheils likes this.
  25. Blows ruination away. And ruination is a top 5 DIPA for me. This is just leaps and bounds ahead.

Hoptimus-Prime and forrestbetts like this.
  26. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

It's a fine quality item. However, with the abundance of Abrasive around these parts I'm not running down any beer trucks for this. Relatively easy to come by so I'll get to it when I get to it.

TurboManGT and printer1 like this.
  27. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

I got you if we can work something out. shouldnt be long before it shows up here BM me if you are really interested.

28. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Ships from brewery on Monday... Booya.

xxcarpxx and match1112 like this.
  29. /swoons :)

30. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

This is great news! I live in Mich and most stores around me have it...
    btw, does anyone know how to store them so they stay as hoppy as possible? If I buy a few 6-packs I'd like to make them last while maintaining their potency.

31. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

You have to love Bell's for always brewing a lot of this beer. Demand is high, but there never seems to be a shortage in my area.

DanK4 likes this.
  32. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Any news of the rollout? Will they stagger it like last year? I'd love to grab about 12-18 of the first batch, then wait for batch 2 to rollout to buy more. They way they did it like this last year was great. I hope they do it again.

33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Fridge.

34. I was told that I could expect 10-15% more of this Elixer of The Hops to be allocated at my store, so I might actually be able to snag a case for me this year!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  35. Was just talking to my friend (who works at Bell's) about hopslam last night. She brought me a bottle of Black Note for christmas =) She said they were "tasting" this the last she heard about it. YAY. I live 5 minutes from Bell's. Gonna fo sho get a case of this. I'm down to trade......

LouDogg114 likes this.
  36. That's about what I was expecting; last year I don't think I bought a bottle that was older than two weeks MAX.

37. does hopslam make its way to NY? I need this in my life

Fantasy_Factory likes this.
  38. rmcnealy

rmcnealy Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2006

I can say with full surety, total certainty, undoubtable infallibility, absolute indubitableness, and frank unquestionableness that this may be my favorite brew. Fresh... unparalleled.

YogiBeer and BigMike like this.
  39. Are you trying to be funny or are you really retarded?

40. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (380) Ohio May 13, 2008

I had this last year and on draft it was amazing and in bottles was almost as good (I had at least three 6 packs.) Since then I have discovered Three Floyd's Dreadnaught, Arctic Panzer Wolf, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Founders Double Trouble, I want to revisit HopSlam this year just to see how it stacks up to these beasts I've grown to love so much.

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.