1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's Hopslam (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

The recipe doesn't change, but ingredients naturally change due to weather, soil and other natural factors. With that said, this year is the best I've had over the past 6 years. Nice bitter hop presence with a sweet malty backbone.

2. jb123

jb123 Savant (485) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

Def hoppier in the keg, no question. Bottle was marginal

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  3. djh263

djh263 Zealot (90) Virginia Apr 22, 2008

I bought a bottle for $10 in DC last week. It wasn't as smooth as in years past. I also had a Nugget Nectar from cask last week and thought it was much tastier.

4. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

My doubt is whether those factors change so drastically as to affect each year's product noticeably.

harrylee773 likes this.
  5. blackcompg

blackcompg Savant (325) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

$16.99 at a larger retail shop here in Lake County, IL - $23.99 at a small local shop - picked up a case for $67.96 at the larger retailer.

6. blackcompg

blackcompg Savant (325) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

*Just an fyi of my experience - I've purchased quite a few cases of Oracle directly from Bell's over the years, and I tried aging a few 6 packs of Oracle - drank one at 3 months, and one at 6 months - at 3 months, the nicer hop nuances (bright citrus, pungent green pine) had dropped off significantly and had just become more bitter vs. individual flavor profiles, and the maltiness/sweetness had come up significantly. At 6 months...well in my opinion this was a travesty that I won't repeat, it had become a sweet mess with a an unpleasant bitter aftertaste, and along with this the alcohol became forward and very noticeable, as it was no lonnger "hidden" by the fresh hop qualities. If it's going to be a few months I would strongly recommend you have him keep them chilled, this will slow the "undesirable" aging effects of a dipa - again, just my 2 cents :)

7. I never said they made 4-packs of Hopslam. I said they make 4 packs. Which is a correction to your general statement "Bells doesn't make 4 packs". They very rarely make anything in 4 packs but from time to time they do. So the next time you hop on here to try to correct somebody make sure you are actually correct yourself.

8. RobinLee

RobinLee Savant (430) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

$15.99 in central Wisconsin for a sixer. Local store had bottles in mix and match six pack section, so I picked one up. Thinking about going back and just getting a six, it is not selling here (Stevens Point, college town with few beer geeks. Store just happens to have an awesome beer guy working)

9. rails

rails Aficionado (170) California Nov 8, 2012

Not good, but at least make sure he keeps it in the fridge. Personally I didn't think it was very good fresh.

10. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

I've been drinking Abrasive since December and I have to agree. Hopslam just isn't in the same ballpark, IMHO!

11. Bought case last week bottled 1/23/13 and it's as delicious!! Not as hoppy as most DIPA's but nice and smooth.

12. Not recommended for aging, but with the high ABV it can be aged. I've had Hopslam up to 13 months after bottling, stored in a cooler, and it remains very appealing. The malts, honey and sweetness come more to the fore. I'm sure some folks would actually prefer that.

13. Did you not notice that my "general statement" of "Bells's doesn't make 4 packs" was in a direct response to a poster saying that they bought a four pack of Hopslam last year year? If that wasn't enough of a clue that the discussion was about Hopslam, then perhaps you could of noticed the fact that it was within a thread titled "Bells Hopslam 2013". Or maybe the fact that both my post and the post that I was responding to went on to talk about Hopslam availability. Your obviously the one who hopped on here to try and correct someone since you didn't take any context into consideration when correcting my post. The fact that Bell's makes 4 packs of a few beers has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Sure, I should have wrote "They don't make 4 packs" or "Bells doesn't make 4 packs of Hopslam", so that I couldn't get trolled. But, the other 600+ posters and the person I was directly replying to didn't have a problem figuring out that we were talking about HOPSLAM.

Pay the troll toll!

Thanks.

PS: Welcome to the forums, great first 2 posts.

14. wow you are sad. you just can't stand being wrong. I hope you realize somebody else had already corrected the person whose post started this so really you are the one trolling. I work in the Michigan beer industry and have probably seen more Hopslam in a day then you will in your entire life. I typically don't post but I had to make an account just to correct you. Quoting always sunny and pretending you know about beer does not make you cool. you were wrong and thats all there is to it. don't get mad about it.

bye

15. Creating an account just to correct a post someone made almost 2 months ago is the exact definition of trolling. Stating your qualifications doesn't help that fact. Although I corrected someone in my post that is not why I was posting and contributed to the thread by offering up my thoughts on this years distribution. I do realize that someone had already mentioned that they do not make 4 packs of Hopslam, and they likely did this while I was typing. All of our posts were on January 3rd, minutes apart, right after the OP started this thread. I don't care if Bells makes 18packs of XSlam minikegs.... and I never pretended to know anything about beer.

16. I'm tired of "it's not nearly as good as last year" posts. Not only regarding Hopslam, but especially regarding Hopslam. They don't change the formula. You obviously liked it enough to pay 20ish dollars for it, so if your tastes changed, don't blame the beer! I got a case and a half. It's amazing. I drank it last year but I've had so many DIPAs since then I couldn't even begin to compare it to last year. If you drink as much beer as many claim here, you couldn't either! I thought we were advocating beer, not bitching about how it was better back when...

Hermthegerm and beerindaglass like this.
  17. Oh, and stop putting Sucks in the same category as Palate Wrecker, Hopslam, and Enjoy By. It's so far away I hardly find it a DIPA at all.

JohnSnowNW, ChitownSpartan and Holsie like this.
  18. cincysig

cincysig Savant (340) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

I just traded 4 Heady Topper for 6 Hopslam. The Hopslam were bottled on Jan 3, 2013. Cracked open the first two hours after chilling. Quite disappointed. My expectations were high, so shame on me. Maybe the dudes who rant on about freshness aren't so douche-y after all.

19. Absolutely! I had the pleasure of trying them side by side , out of the tap had a lot more spank to it. Wish I had a keg of it at home lol

20. jb123

jb123 Savant (485) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

No doubt. That'd be awesome. Building a keezer this summer so hopefully ill be able to land a keg of hopslam! Come to Linwood and enjoy!

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  21. Hell yes, that would be awesome! Cheers!

22. Tdean

Tdean Initiate (15) Mar 2, 2013

Tapping a Hopslam Keg at 4pm at Fox and Hound North Hills. Sat 2nd March.

23. Sure wish I could get my hands on some of this in Tennessee!! Gotta love states with horrible beer laws!! :(

24. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

Agree completely. A lot of naysayers. Hopslam is exceptional. Smooth, bright, crisp. What else could you ask for . Tired of the naysayer BS.

25. OK..I LOVE Hopslam. May be my favorite beer. I doubted all the negative reviews. My first few '13 Hopslams were excellent. But I opened one last night and...holy crap! It was so un-Hopslammy! Taste was muted, hops were hidden and that distinctive "Hopslam flavor" was not there. Tasted like a run of the mill IPA. Now, it was from the same sixer I already drank 2 from and they were both spot-on excellent. Date was 01-15-13 for the whole sixer. I hope the rest of them will be great. But I have now experienced my first Hopslam disappointment...ever!

26. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Yup I got 12 1/15s they all sucked.

27. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Did you send them back? ;)

28. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Nah, shipping costs are through the roof these days...

29. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Savant (330) Kentucky Mar 17, 2008

Love hopslam with age on it. Have some bottled Feb. 2012 in my man room fridge -- the key is,keeping it chilled-- and it mellows just fine.

30. I agree. Have some 2012's left in my cellar and they are WAY better than the bad 1-15-13's I've had.

31. I have 3 sixers of 1-28-13 that I have not tried yet. Anybody sampled those yet?

32. Big_V

Big_V Savant (285) Maryland Nov 30, 2012

You find some, please let me know where. Dying to get my hands on some...

33. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

If anyone still wants any, I'd be happy to set up a trade. I have 5 bottles left.

34. I have a bottle left that I don't even want...would almost be happy to give it away to someone in the DMV.

35. This thread makes me wish there was a dislike button.

craigo19 likes this.
  36. Hopslam is an awesome beer when fresh. That said, I think the 2014 batch is already falling off a little.

37. Exactly how I feel about KBS

38. Pinioned

Pinioned Aficionado (195) Kentucky Dec 16, 2012

I had it on tap and wasn't a big fan. Luckily, earlier that day I had bought a case of it. Glad I did, because I loved it bottled.

39. You need to drink it at least a month before the bottle date to really enjoy it.

40. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

I found it to be overrated. Maybe it wasn't fresh enough. For my money I'll take Two Hearted, FW Union Jack IPA, Schlafly AIPA over Hopslam.

unclebuckpa and Pinioned like this.