1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's Hopslam (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. broodog

broodog Savant (335) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

U mad, bro?
  2. acyl

acyl Aficionado (125) Michigan Mar 16, 2010

Hopslam is NOT a DIPA. Its an imperial.
  3. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Not that we need to mention than Double and Imperial can be used interchangeably, but we should mention that Bell's does call it a Double IPA.
    steebo777 and fredmugs like this.
  4. BlakeAM

BlakeAM Aficionado (220) Illinois Nov 6, 2011

The last part of this is so true. The six pack I bought was bottled 4 days prior and the three I had within 2 days of purchase were infinitely better than the ones I saved for 3-4 weeks.

However, I had it on tap in that initial time period and it tasted really boozy without much hop flavor, so who knows.
  5. Thank you - I did say my beer geek flag does fly - but it is what labeled
  6. Big_V

Big_V Savant (275) Maryland Nov 30, 2012

I'd be happy to take it off your hands!
  7. I am trying to actually get to the bottom of this whole Hopslam thing. Can you tell me where you are getting information about their formula?
  8. I would trade you mine.
  9. schmelby

schmelby Aficionado (130) Virginia May 13, 2012

I've got 12 hopslam left dated 1/15 if you want to trade? I had 2 cases this year and didn't like it as much as last years batch. And I have a bunch of Sucks and Nugget Nectar to drink that I like better :)

So if you or anyone else want's to trade, let me know. I'd reaaaaaly love to get my hands on some Heady Topper, Lawson's Liquids and/or Hill Farmstead.
  10. Big_V

Big_V Savant (275) Maryland Nov 30, 2012

My haul is low, not sure if I have anything you'll be interested in. Check my "GOTS" and let you know if I have it still.
  11. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

This is from someone who has never thought any DIPA was drinkable except for this years Hopslam last years was undrinkable for me I can tell you it has definitely changed and IMO for the better last years was a drain pour just like every other DIPA. When was yours bottled though some people seem to think the batches were different?
  12. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

Is this sarcastic?
  13. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

I suppose possible batch variation can't be dismissed outright. I've had it when it's hit shelves within the first few weeks after it's bottled, on tap, and one about 9 months old that was basically a delicious DIPA/Barleywine hybrid.
  14. There. I really just don't get it. It's a too sweet/not all that hoppy beer to me. I've had it again this year and I still don't get the hype.
  15. Same here. Same bottled date. Boo! Won't keep me from trying it again though.
  16. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (230) Arizona May 28, 2012

Had it from a cask last night, seriously smooth. If I didn't have to drive home I could have sat there and consumed lots of it!!
  17. Budinetz

Budinetz Savant (350) Pennsylvania Dec 29, 2010

Perhaps...If oxidized beer is your thing, then drink up I guess.
  18. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

13 months in a cooler will not cause it to oxidize anywhere near to being noticeable on someone's palate.
  19. acyl

acyl Aficionado (125) Michigan Mar 16, 2010

The shelf life of hopslam is 6 months. This is directly from the brewery.
    Budinetz likes this.
  20. that would be unrefrigerated shelf life, unless they are being unorthodox and overly optimistic. Anyway, after a year of refrigeration Hopslam is a bit different, mainly being less hop-forward.
  21. kzoobrew

Why speculate when we can go right to the source..
    So it may be an unrefrigerated shelf life but it is also a properly stored shelf life. I do not think it is unrealistic for a brewery to state a lifespan with the understanding that the beer will be properly stored. This is not to say they expect stores or consumers to actually follow through. My thought, if you know enough to understand what the date and shelf life actually mean you should know enough to take care of your beer.
    acyl likes this.
  22. Apom

Apom Disciple (60) South Carolina Mar 30, 2013

Missed this one hopefully I can get it next go around because I hear it is fantastic.
  23. Budinetz

It will absolutely oxidize to a point where it will be noticeable on your palate...Heavily hopped beer is not meant to age AT ALL and should be consumed within 6 months. Yes, it will oxidize SLOWER if kept cool, but crack one open fresh from the brewery and then age one 13 months...does it taste like wet cardboard with a hint of sherry? then it's oxidized...the beer did not age.
  24. kzoobrew

Barley wines and a handful of Stouts would like to disagree with you. Heavily hopped beers can age very gracefully, hop forward or focused beers may not.

I have had plenty of aged Hopslam over the years and I can honestly say I have not noticed significant oxidation over the course of 13 months. You lose bitterness and the crispness of the hop flavor. A gentle citrusy flavor still remains along side a sweet almost biscuity malt back. I get all that but I have never experienced wet cardboard or sherry at this point in time.

Now I am not saying it is not possible but saying it will definitely happen is potentially as misleading as saying it definitely won't. Regardless of oxidation or not this is still a beer that is best served fresh.
  25. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

I aged a hopslam on accident once, after i opened it, it was definitely delicious. Hoppy? nope. sweet? yes.

on a side note, i ran into a liquor store that had 2 sixer's of hopslam. i thought about freshness on it, i decided to get it, but realized it was a cash only venue. i'll get it tomorrow. i know it'll be there. it's in a neighborhood where the demographic doesn't match the product selling (not all the product)
    beerindaglass likes this.
  26. Budinetz

Duly noted. I will have to try a bottle before its freshness date and well into the year after...and what i was getting at is that beer with a formidable amount of hop flavor, aroma, bitterness, etc will suffer from oxidation. Obviously I am aware that barleywine and stout will age well, among other styles. The styles I have experienced oxidation with have been the Amber ales, Imperial Reds, IPA's, DIPA's, and a few Barleywine's that have had an overwhelming amount of hop aroma and bitterness, despite the abv. I feel more often than not, I get oxidation from these styles after too long and I have ruined it for myself by trying to age them, when I should have just cracked them and enjoyed. I wouldn't want anyone else to make the same mistake! Beer is meant to be drank at it's peak of perfection, the way the brewer intended!
  27. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Opened one of my 2013 hopslams last night and must say, its tasting delicious, at least to me. Personally I'm not a fan of bitterness, so IMO it tastes better now than it did fresh. But thats just like, my opinion, man.
  28. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Anyone know what the latest bottling date on Hopslam is? I grabbed some as soon as it first came out, but want to make sure my final sixer of this vintage is as fresh as can be.
  29. 2013 was another disappointment
    sbxx likes this.
  30. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Savant (430) Florida Apr 3, 2013

I haven't been able to find any in Pensacola for weeks now. (outside of the bar that is) This year's edition is good, but I think I enjoyed last year's more so.
  31. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

I have store like that. I love it! They had hopslam in the cooler for about a month. Think I ended up buying all of it.
    Mnmaverick likes this.
  32. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Latest I saw was 1-28. Not sure bottling went into Feb or not.
  33. I know in years past I've had Hopslam with Feb bottle dates on them.
    But I havn't seen any this year.
  34. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

A grocery store in my area still has like 5 cases of Hopslam just sitting there.
  35. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

where are you at in Michigan
  36. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

Up north
    Petoskey area
  37. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (395) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I just drank my last two bottles of Hopslam. Dated Jan. 15, I think. Had them in the fridge the entire time. Tasted incredibly smooth. Now I wish I bought more.
  38. Yeah I saw some Sunday night at the Total Wine in Tucson and asked the clerk what the date was and she came back to me with a big smile and said "it's still good, it was bottled on 1-19! I politely thanked her and informed her that it still tastes good but doesn't have the hop profile that I desire. They were keeping two cases behind the counter like it was gold when they should have it on one of the corner aisles marked down to sell. On another side note, since I love the taste of Hopslam so damn much, what else tastes like it? I haven't had anything yet myself.
  39. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (395) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I hate that liquor stores do that. If its been out for a couple weeks and no more people are asking about it, put it back on the damn shelves!
    highdesertdrinker likes this.