1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's Hopslam (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. JackHPatterson

JackHPatterson Aspirant (25) Jan 3, 2013

Looking forward to trying it this year. Been expanding my palate this past year. My only concern is the price. Twenty dollars for a 6pack? Better be Damn Good

2. The politically correct term is mentally challenged, but yes he is trying to be funny.

3. do you know the guy?

4. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Hopslam time again already? This past year has flown by. Last year I got one six pack because I wasn't accustomed to buying pricey beers. What a mistake. I should have bought everything I could get. I need to get at least 2 or 3 packs this time.

5. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I really enjoyed this beer, but it is not something I am going to crazy to get a 6 of it. It's amazing, but there are tons of great replacements too.

ThatCracker and Revenant like this.
  6. Still have a 2012 in my fridge. Eek.

7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

The whole "falling off" thing is a continuing IPA joke here on BA, so yes he is joking. Welcome, enjoy, read and learn.

pjs234 and copslovebeer like this.
  8. Hopslam is good every year! Bring it on!! This time around i'm buying a case.

MisterGrizz likes this.
  9. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Hopslam is not really a hop bomb and NOT anywhere NEAR as hoppy as Ruination. Ruination is like chewing hops....Hopslam is a superbly balanced beer with lots of flavor. Ruination is pretty much a single not homp bomb.

But I do look forward to the new batch and hopefully will get a couple kegs at me bar.

10. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

This stuff is fantastic! A few years ago when I first tried it I thought "eh it's alright" but by my last bottle of the sixer I got for some reason was nearly perfect. Maybe it's the honey, but it's great as it mellows.

Last year I did a side by side from batches 2 months apart, and honestly they were not much different, one was only slightu more robust than the other, but both delicious

copslovebeer likes this.
  11. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Can't hit shelves soon enough.. it's always my favorite release of the year! Magical beer. I think it's pretty consistent every year. I've never been let down.. and $3/12oz bottle of a world-class DIPA is a great deal if you ask me.

Bitter_Echo and Dan_Bowman like this.
  12. I had it for the first time in 2011 when it was about 6 months old on tap. Meh. Then I had it again in february 2012 and though it was boozy and not hoppy enough so Im hoping this years is better.

13. vegantreats

vegantreats Aficionado (105) Hawaii Jul 18, 2009

I live in Japan and can't get this. Had it with my awesome
    brother when I visited Chicago last year, damn to have one of these in the summer...

dsal89 likes this.
  14. vegantreats

vegantreats Aficionado (105) Hawaii Jul 18, 2009

By the way, bring a few to Japan( I live near the beach in Fujisawa) crash for free at mt place!

15. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

This can only be an accurate statement if you explain what you mean when you say hoppy. Hoppy is a extremely vague term. If you mean bitter then you are correct, Ruination is much more bitter and kills Hopslam on IBUs as well. But to say Hopslam is not hoppy or is not a hop bomb is really misleading. It may be balanced but there is a ton of late addition and dry hop flavor in Hopslam.

DAllspaw, dsal89, founder26 and 4 others like this.
  16. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

I plan on upping my purchase from one case to two cases this year, unless I can get a keg.

dsal89 likes this.
  17. CT gets hosed out of distribution for a lot of great breweries, but Bells is the one I consistently wish I could buy here. :(

tarawho likes this.
  18. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Hopefully it's a bit better this year. Last year's was far from bad, but did not impress me as much as the two previous years' batches.

tronto likes this.
  19. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Nope - closest place is PA.

20. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

have you seen some of this playaplaya's post? I don't think I would take anything he has to say to heart :cool:

21. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Don't forget thinner mouthfeel!

whiskey and jamvt like this.
  22. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Well we just finished off our kegs of Winter White....So hopefully Bells will be sending us a good amount of HS in the next couple weeks.y
    We will be getting bottles either way though....But on tap would be ideal.

Perhaps some of yall BA's will have to make the trek out to DEKALB once we get Hopslam and Deschutes on tap :D
    I'll buy a couple rounds ;)

23. .... Now I just need to find out where in Philly I'll be able to get it from!

24. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Does anyone know what spices they are adding this year?

oh, wait, wrong beer

rholmes and dsal89 like this.
  25. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

Plenty of Hopslam in MN when it arrives. I would be willing to trade. I can usually buy as much as I want @ about $17.99

26. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

Palate Wrecker and Double Trouble are PHENOMENAL! Panzer Wolf is also very good, as is Devil Dancer.
    Cheers!

kendrahayes and ThatCracker like this.
  27. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

The past couple years I haven't really drank all that much Hopslam, I've been enjoying other styles besides DIPA...and I think it's coming back full circle. I'm really looking forward to this hop forward malt bomb, and the honey adds a good amount of sweetness as well.

founder26 likes this.
  28. newbie question: do they distro to ny?

29. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

same here, bring drinking nothing but stouts, starting to get boring, need to change things up a bit!

30. Another year, another chance at getting me some Hopslam. I hope the outcome is different this year.

31. Answer: No. As far as I know, the closest is PA.

TheNoodleIncident likes this.
  32. laaaaaaame

33. I've had 3 different bells. Expedition, This One Goes To 11 and Two Hearted. I loved each one, a lot. Now I want hopslam.

34. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

No DaleLikesAles in right. Although with Hopslam it's more like 17 hours. Hope you like malt bombs if you get it after that 14 hour window.

SortaAmbivalent likes this.
  35. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Savant (490) Illinois Sep 1, 2008

You haven't been a member long enough to embrace the BA "humor."

SortaAmbivalent and tarawho like this.
  36. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Great beer but a little over-priced/hyped in my opinion. Get me some Palate Wrecker and we can rip some stuff up ;)

Shalashaska90 and jsurfs82 like this.
  37. dfree23

dfree23 Aficionado (110) Texas Dec 1, 2010

On my list to definitely try but will need a trade since it's not here!

38. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009