1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's Hopslam (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Supposed to hit IN within the next few days. I saved a '12 to try side by side with a fresh one... is that weird?

2. I had hop slam last year and it was great, also on the list of favorites were Devil Dancer and Hop Notch.

3. Wow, I'm so jealous of all you that pay less than 20 for a six. When I first started buying it, it was $18.99. Last year it was up to $26. Kind of crazy to spend over fifty bucks, and walk away with only 12 beers.

As an aside, anyone know what the majorly grapefruity hop is that they use? I've been trying for years to find something similar for homebrewing..

4. alright, so i just picked up a case of hopslam from this year and i had to pour all of it out.

hctap00 and cavedave like this.
  5. Its the shit. Hands down.

6. Wha?

7. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hopslam-clone-137117/index2.html#post1923124

Help for the homebrewers. This won't answer the hop question definitively but it will probably be better than anything else you find.

8. Docrock

Docrock Savant (490) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Guessing it might be a combo of the simcoe and citra.

9. I'd agree, but any kind if simcoe ale I've had (like Weyerbacher's Double) isn't it at all. Maybe it's the citra that I'm not aware of - I'll have to look further into that.

Funny enough, I REALLY enjoy Lagunitas' Little Sumpin Sumpin. For me, it's almost the exact same flavor as the HopSlam.

10. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Definitely meant 6 pack... idiot.

11. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I like to hear your thoughts on the comparison

12. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

I've got to drink down inventories this weekend to make room because this stuff is outstanding!

13. CANT WAIT!!!

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (495) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Not weird if you like barleywines

skinsfan and fredmugs like this.
  15. I had this for the first time last year, and I remember being slightly dissapointed in the lack of bitterness of this brew (not to say it wasn't hoppy). If your expecting the bitterness of Ruination, you wont find it in this beer. Instead, you'll find a very well-balanced and smooth drinking brew.

16. Thank the beer gods for that far as I'm concerned. Considering what my palate looks for from IPAs I'm super excited to finally try this stuff this year.

17. LouDogg114

LouDogg114 Savant (285) Georgia Jan 1, 2012

My go to bottle shop in GA gets a small shipment every year. I have yet to get my hands on it. But I have a sixer on reserve this year! Can't wait to get my hop fix from this premier IPA!

18. LouDogg114

LouDogg114 Savant (285) Georgia Jan 1, 2012

I've been dying to get a bottle of Black Note! My bottler said they missed out on a bid to get some in there store this year. Definitely going to press em next year!

19. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

As with all their 750s, Bells doesn't distribute Black Note.

20. tfischl

tfischl Aficionado (185) Indiana Dec 28, 2005

Anyone know how much a 6-pack of 2013 Hopslam will be this year?

21. RichD

RichD Advocate (715) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I'm not from Pennsylvania but my girlfriend's dad frequently visits and could probably pick this up for me. Does anyone know if they sell these in 4/6 packs in PA and what the general going rate is?

John_M likes this.
  22. $18.09 out the door at Bell's. (That includes deposit here)

23. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

No price increase from Bell's. Should be the same as previous years.
    Buy a case and its 16.50 a sixer out the door ;)

24. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

Obviously sarcastic...pretty easy catch, really.

25. There should definitely be Six packs roaming around, but I don't know how much they end up running. I'd imagine around $18-20 at places like Market District. Hoping to find one myself in the next couple weeks.

26. Not weird, but you'll be having two completely different beers. Most people report big flavors changes in the HopSlam around month 2-3. Hence all the morons talking about how it fades after 2 weeks, 2 days, 2 hours.. everyboy funny. Now they funny, too.

27. broodog

broodog Savant (360) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

Does any BA work for the Glunz Syndicate? Is it hitting the shelves in Illinois this week?

28. It's Hopslam month...time to put away the cellar for awhile!

29. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

When does 2014 Hopslam come out? Is it out yet?

I think I will start a new thread.

30. llamabones

llamabones Aspirant (30) Ohio Jul 9, 2011

It's brewed with honey, says the label.

31. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

If you don't have it on shelves by Friday, it is already past its prime and should not be consumed. I will take one for the team and buy/drink all of them.

32. Wardo

Wardo Aficionado (130) Illinois Apr 17, 2012

I don't know if it's the honey that does it, but hint of sweetness seems to mellow/smooth out agressive hops profile a bit - such a great beer - top of it's class.

I know they say to drink these fresh, but I kept a bunch in the fridge last year, and it tasted damn good into August....

33. Please oh please won't someone trade with me....:(

34. I wish...Last year I happened to be in Virginia on release day and grabbed a 6-er.

35. This is one of the seasonal releases I'm most excited to try. I've been into trying new beers for years now, but I didn't start getting serious learning about and chasing down limited seasonal brews until last spring. As such, I missed out on it last year, but I'm ready in 2013.

36. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

I love Hopslam release season, if not for the delicious beer itself, then for the math-deficient people who cry about how $18 a sixer is a ridiculous price and then pay $8 for a bomber of an inferior DIPA. Derp.

37. laynethiele

laynethiele Disciple (65) Michigan Dec 21, 2010

Living in Michigan and not too far from the brewery, I have had my fair share of Hopslam. For those of you who have not had it you are in for a treat! In my opinion it is THE "hop bomb" out there. Although I have not had Oracle. I LOVE Hopslam!! Get what you can of it. Some places limit the number of six packs you can get. It arrives Wednesday the 9th at noon here locally. I am making room in the cellar.

38. Evilonewhichsobs

Evilonewhichsobs Aspirant (45) Jan 7, 2013

I live in northern Virginia does anyone have suggestions on where to look for this when it does arrive. I'm new to craft beer and BA. Thanks

39. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

I inadvertently have 1 bottle left from '12, didn't know it was pushed down in the way back on the bottom of my beer fridge. I will have to drink it for purposes of science only. :)