1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's Hopslam (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Let us know what you think of it..
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  2. Thank you.
  3. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

Pretty sure I saw bottles kind of hang out on the shelf for a few weeks here in AZ as well.
  4. There are a few places in DC that sell it.. Tunnel, Modern, and Rodman's at least. Be warned that it was $26/pack last year though, so who knows what it'll be going for this year! :eek:
  5. Evilonewhichsobs

Evilonewhichsobs Aspirant (45) Jan 7, 2013

Thanks. That's quite steep. I think I found the Bells distributor for the area and was just going to contact them closer to the 21st to see where it would be closer to my neck of the woods(Reston). With this and Enjoy By and Nugget Nectar all coming out in the next few weeks I'm a very happy lad.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  6. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Holly shit! Hopslam, Abrassive, Sucks and Hop Henge all on the shelves at the same time. I'm going to explode!
  7. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

I did this last year, and intend to try it again when I get the 2013 Hopslam. For me, this experiment really highlights the importance of freshness in IPA/DIPA's. I think you'll find the 2012 Hopslam to be much more syrupy, with less of that fruity/hoppy bite.
    luwak likes this.
  8. ceazaleo

ceazaleo Disciple (65) Virginia May 25, 2011

Norm's Beer and Wine in Vienna will get it. The Reston Whole Foods should get some, as well as the Total Wine in Sterling. Plenty of options in NoVa!

Also, it should not run more than $20 for a six pack.
  9. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Do not hesitate to buy a case at $80.
    cnbrown313 and genuinedisciple like this.
  10. anyone wanna trade a fresh hopslam for a fresh heady??
  11. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

How does this compare to heady topper?
  12. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

It's different.
  13. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Between this, The Oracle and This One Goes to 11, these have totally renewed my faith in Bell's! All three are spectacular! Two Hearted used to be my favorite "On tap" IPA till I had a Hopslam on tap at Bell's. It just now showed up around me, so I'm out the door!
    Cheers people!
  14. This hit GR this morning!!
    founder26 likes this.
  15. gdodd12

gdodd12 Aficionado (190) Georgia Oct 1, 2009

2 and 3 years ago I was able to buy many 6 packs and even had return trips to stores. I don't think the allotment change. The hype just went through the roof. I don't even try for it anymore as it is too much of a pain and there are plenty of IIPAs that are as good or better.
  16. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

They made more this year. They've been pretty clear about this.
  17. Renewed faith...what made you lose it? Bells is pretty legit.
    adamdd, founder26 and steebo777 like this.
  18. ^^^This. I've called a few places around here & they are getting in a ton of cases & Ann Arbor is not great for distro in general. I think we'll see a lot more sitting on shelves for a bit this year, at least around us. But whatever, I'm grabbing my case either way.
  19. we'll have to disagree.
    pschul4 likes this.
  20. thedopeyone07

thedopeyone07 Disciple (55) Nov 16, 2012

Cannot wait to sit back and enjoy this beer.
  21. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

I guess I'm just a growning BA, and, for a while, it was only Two Hearted/aged Expe for me. But now that I've had the beers I mentioned above, plus things like BBA Batch 9000/Black Note among others, I have been digging this brewery a whole lot more. Just growing and learning I guess. :)
  22. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Yup. Ill Bm you when we get ours in, and try and send it out within two days of recieving it.
  23. I met you in the store last week (day that Deschutes landed). Any idea how much Hopslam is expected at that location?
  24. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Sorry Ryan but Midwesten was pretty disappointing. Agreed overall tho!
  25. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

:D more than 10 cases. Also, we SHOULD be getting alesmith today or tmw, but wont be in the system until thursday.
    kilowattcycles likes this.
  26. Fantastic! Love Alesmith products. Would be great if Wee Heavy and Speedway get here. What day are you predicting Hopslam on the shelf?
  27. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Go to Bell's website. Somewhere on there they listed states getting it this week, next week, and the week after.
  28. gdodd12

gdodd12 Aficionado (190) Georgia Oct 1, 2009

Sounds good. Cheers!
  29. Are any of these available in NJ?
  30. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Pretty sure not, though I'm not positive about suks. However, in the case of hopslam, the beer is imported and distributed by Shangy's in SEPA, and that should be a doable drive for you. Also, many Wegmans and Wholefoods will have hopslam (by the 6 pack, with a two 6 pack limit - but you can buy two 6 packs, take them to your car, and then go back for more), so depending where you live in NJ, it might not be a very far drive at all for you to obtain some hopslam.
  31. Peter, we're you really expecting a lot?
  32. pschul4

I was hoping it would be as good as if not better than lagunitas daytime lol oh well lesson learned. Will still drink my share of hopslam (or more of my share if people out there think there is something better on the shelf in Chicago)
  33. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Hopslam will start shipping to areas in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio the week of Jan. 7.

It will begin shipping to Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, Missouri and Arizona the week of Jan. 14.

It will then start shipping to Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC, Kentucky and Pennsylvania the week of Jan. 21.

Keep in mind, availability will also depend on delivery and trucking schedules, so please be patient with your local bars, restaurants and retailers.
    Deltoro likes this.
  34. Wait...what about your 7% ABV rule? Why you wastin' your time with those low ABV things anyway? ;)
    pschul4 likes this.
  35. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (375) Pennsylvania Aug 23, 2012

I have never had this, and as a hop head I think it is my duty to buy a case of this as soon as it comes out!
    fredmugs likes this.
  36. pschul4

OMG...I've been wasting my life/money on watered down beers... selfiamdisappoint
    Steimie and genuinedisciple like this.
  37. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Interesting. $16.80 a sixer here in Okemos. That's a place notorious for great pricing though.
  38. $66 a case at Holiday
  39. hoppy99

hoppy99 Aficionado (195) Florida Feb 28, 2009

I can't wait to age a few sixers.
  40. avalonct

avalonct Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

$66/case? Where?