1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Hopslam (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Member

Bell's and apparently Holiday as well.
  2. neeko530

neeko530 Member

i've got 40 cases coming in tomorrow!!!!
  3. BMitch

BMitch Member

Along with what the other guys recommended, the various Total Wine locations (McLean, Sterling, Chantilly, etc.) will have it. Just make sure to ask for it at the front counter since they don't put it on the shelves. Price last year was $22/6 and frankly worth every freakin penny!
  4. avalonct

avalonct Member

Where?
  5. avalonct

avalonct Member

Where is holiday?
  6. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Member

7. avalonct

avalonct Member

8. neeko530

neeko530 Member

near northside of indianapolis. broad ripple
  9. neeko530

neeko530 Member

It is over rated though
    o_O
    miketd likes this.
  10. MichPaul

MichPaul Member

wizzy and mjshearer1 like this.
  11. forrestbetts

forrestbetts Member

Nice avatar
  12. forrestbetts

forrestbetts Member

Wow. So excited. So glad this is an annual release of somewhat limited proportions. Wallet, waistline, and wife probably couldn't stand year-round availability.
    Enjoy this one and Cheers!
    tectactoe and YogiBeer like this.
  13. TomAnderson

TomAnderson Member

Had this once, and it was amazing. That is saying a lot cuz i live in LA LOL.
  14. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Member

what the f..k are you talkin about man...oh u ready to talk sh.. brah...;)
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  15. proseberry

proseberry Member

In a previous post, you asked about keeping the hoppiness? and you got a to the point response. Keep it in the fridge. In the dark. Also drink it fresh, now, yesterday.
  16. saxclar123

saxclar123 Member

anyone know if hopslam hit the philly area yet?
    waddellc2 likes this.
  17. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Member

On the previous page of this thread someone outlined the shipping schedule...

"Hopslam will start shipping to areas in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio the week of Jan. 7.

It will begin shipping to Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, Missouri and Arizona the week of Jan. 14.

It will then start shipping to Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC, Kentucky and Pennsylvania the week of Jan. 21.

Keep in mind, availability will also depend on delivery and trucking schedules, so please be patient with your local bars, restaurants and retailers."
  18. dmnielsen

dmnielsen Member

$13.99 a six in Warren, MI at Champagnes. It will be gone soon, though.
  19. founder26

founder26 Member

thats gotta be BS
  20. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Member

I knew I should've waited until I got home. These guys are 5-10 minutes from my house. I picked a sixer up at Forest Hills Foods near my work for $16.80/$2.79 a bottle.

And yes, Riverside is a pretty great place.
    MichPaul likes this.
  21. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

I love the spices they used this year!;)
  22. biga7346

biga7346 Member

No, I remember they did something similar last year, Champanes put it out pretty cheap and their 100 cases or something like that was gone in a matter of days, i belive there was a 2-case limit.
  23. dmnielsen

dmnielsen Member

No BS. One case limit. I was shocked, too. I have not heard other prices, but no where will have it that ridiculously cheap.
  24. joshbrink

joshbrink Member

Had quite a few glasses off draft the day it came out last year, later found it in the nook in huntsville Al a few weeks later, couldn't believe they still had some! Hopslam quickly became a favorite of mine.
  25. Tee2Grn

Tee2Grn Member

$62 a case at Holiday or $16.99 sixer
  26. MortarPestle

MortarPestle Member

I picked up a 6-pack today here in Indiana, they had about 20 cases on the floor (no pictures allowed). There were three of us in line, all buying some Hopslam.
  27. TheSaboteur

TheSaboteur Member

It's true. Hopslam loses its hoppiness within hours of leaving the brewery. You pretty much have to drink it straight from the tank to truly experience all the glory that is Hopslam.
  28. TheSaboteur

TheSaboteur Member

Clearly you are new around here.
  29. vivasbeer

vivasbeer Member

Hillers has a whole pallet
  30. nfc2469

nfc2469 Member

Buschs too 15.99 a sixer
    MichPaul likes this.
  31. MichPaul

MichPaul Member

They are just a class act. Such a small place, and I have never had such great customer service!
    Enjoy the slam! :) Oh yeah, and for the record, I called for a price check in the morning and they said it was going to be 16.99 and I was kinda bummed... Then when I got there it rang up at 15.99 a sixer. The guy at the counter said that Roger lowered the price a few mins before I got there. Perfect!
    mjshearer1 likes this.
  32. hansokl

hansokl Member

Anyone have details on when some will make it's way to Atlanta?
  33. EddieGold

EddieGold Member

Yeah, it took a while to convince myself to sign up and read these hilarious yet enlightening posts?
  34. scraff

scraff Member

I can't wait to pay $26 a six in DC. Effin Criminals! Anyway, I hope it's hoppier than last year. No SN Celebration jokes. I just thought it was too honey sweet...
  35. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Member

Still waiting for it to arrive in Ohio, I've been told next Friday the 18th
  36. MortalKombat14

MortalKombat14 Member

They definitely made a decent amount more this year. Many places are getting a lot of cases. Great for more people to try it
  37. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Member

For those that are curious, I picked up my first six pack yesterday and had one last night.

It was disgusting.

HAHAHAHA </jokes>

It was pretty goddamn delicious. Certainly worthy of it's reputation. Everything was so balanced between the hops, malts, and the subtle sweetness of the honey. I forget whoever said on here it's not as much of a hop-punch-in-the-teeth as something like Ruination, but makes up for it in balance. They were dead on. My only internal debate right now is if I like this more, less, or the same as Burton Baton, which was my current reigning DIPA Champion. I might have to pick one up and do a side by side, and inadvertently get smashed in the process. For science, of course.
    tectactoe likes this.
  38. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Member

Anyone ever try DFH 90 Minute and Flying Dog Double Dog side by side? They are very similar! Both delicous if you like the "hop bombs".
  39. johnmichaelsen

johnmichaelsen BA Moderator Staff Member

This just shows how everyone's taste is different. I don't think hopslam is at all similar to either beer (I found both beers to be overly sweet and boozy, something I never notice with hopslam, despite the amount of honey used in the recipe). Also, while I agree Double Dog is an absolute hopbomb, I find 90 minutes to be very tame.

Shrug. I wish to God I found these beers to be similar to Hopslam, as both are far, far easier to find and considerably cheaper as well.
  40. johnmichaelsen

johnmichaelsen BA Moderator Staff Member

Yes they do (6 packs). Your best bet is to try to find them at Wegman's or Wholefoods, if you just want a single 6 pack (Pa. is a "by the case" state if you buy from a distributor). There are bottle shops that will also carry it, but you will pay a premium at those places.

Last year the price at Wegmans was $19 a 6 pack, including tax. Good luck.
    RichD likes this.