1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's now entirely family owned

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by kzoobrew, Mar 21, 2013.

1. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

stayclean, SammyJaxxxx, Higy and 41 others like this.
  2. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

That is awesome! Good for Larry and crew!
  3. I recently met Larry Bell. Class act who makes great beer and a Cubs fan too!
    Gonzoillini and BottleCaps80 like this.
  4. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

More reason to love Bells.
    Lantern, BeerLover99 and craigo19 like this.
  5. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

This made my night. So glad to see Bell's stay in the family!
  6. broodog

broodog Savant (335) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

I met Larry 6 years ago at a neighborhood pub in Chicago called The Charleston. He came in on a Saturday afternoon, to chat with the bar owner and see how his beer was being served. It was quite the honor to speak with him over a Two-Hearted ale. Genuinely good guy. Cheers to the Bell family!
  7. alexsergio

alexsergio Savant (290) New York Mar 7, 2011

im not that bright.

does this mean ny distro is happening or no?

cheers...
  8. Alexsergio:
    We are having preliminary meetings with prospective NY wholsalers next week. Stay tuned.
  9. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Investing in a canning line! SWEET! I wouldn't be surprised to see Oberon in cans this year. I'm sure this is old news to everyone but me...
  10. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Dude. You're Larry Bell! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  11. this post makes me happy
  12. Neat, and not just because Larry Bell is in da house.
  13. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

Big congrats! I will lift up a Two Hearted Ale for the Bell family as I watch a Cubs spring training game out here in Arizona.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  14. Maybe we can get some California distro while your at it. Thanks for jumping in the mix, Larry and congrats
    litheum94 and jodan like this.
  15. cneville

cneville Initiate (0) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

Larry Bell! Please send more Black Note to Ohio!
  16. Any chance for Nj? I'd love to save the $5 toll money and skip having to go into PA.

Love your brews!
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  17. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Glad they got everything worked out. I am still waiting for Hopslam Tallboys though.;)
  18. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Anyword on Tx?
  19. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

20. Good stuff. Good for them.

Obligatory "MA distribution please!" comment.
    Sesmu and Mothergoose03 like this.
  21. Most exciting bit for me was the canning line. Damn do I want a can of two hearted.
  22. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Was the existence of minority shareholders tying their hands in some way? The article implies that it was causing a problem, but it doesn't address the issue directly. IOW, what is the practical affect of this change?
  23. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Glad to hear this and hope for the best. I really love Bells.

Caveat - the skeptic in me also says "this would make any disposition of the company or "financing" from a multinational brewer much easier". I hope the skeptic in me is wrong.
  24. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

IIRC, they had some controversy over their recent expansion because Bell wanted to use cash flow to finance the expansion and the minority shareholders wanted some of the profits distributed back to them. Its a common problem with S-corps and LLCs. Not unique to them at all.

Bell has been trying to buy them out for a while, but some wouldnt sell at the price he was offering. I guess he finally succeeded.

Edit: And since he is posting in the thread, no need for me to try to recall what I thought I read in previous articles.
  25. Bell's is the type of business I like my money going to. Sure they are in the business of making and selling beer, and sure their goal is to make a profit; but they also value other things I find important, like family.

Kudos to Bell's. I'd buy loads of your stuff (if I could get it.....sigh).

Keep up the great work.
  26. Well run company that has all facets of the industry nailed. Truly a model brewery. Love how they do silent releases for their Special release brews. Larry Bell's daughter was actually pouring the special release/brewery only beers at Winter Beer Fest and was very nice and eager to inform everyone that had questions about their brews.
    elephantrider likes this.
  27. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

28. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

Cheers to Bells! I started with Oberon at the local bars before I knew what craft beer was. Great company, great business to represent my home state.
  29. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

Dude, You're Michigan!:eek::eek::eek:
    SatlyMalty, CMUbrew and DinoFight like this.
  30. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Awesome. Better for beer, better for everybody (except brokers).
  31. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Just one more notch for Bell's being one of my favorite breweries ever. Congrats for keeping it all in the family. That's quite an accomplishment in this day in age, with a company of Bell's size.

From reading this article from last year, it sounds like Larry always wanted to keep his brewery family owned, but there were a lot of legal things that needed to be set up...which is sounds like he accomplished. That is great, as from the sounds of it in the article, it appears he even contemplated selling....as there were "many willing buyers."

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/04/bells_brewery_inc_to_be_sold_l.html
  32. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Two Hearted cans is what I am (im)patiently waiting for.
    szmnnl99 and Michigan like this.
  33. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Can't wait for the day when the title says:

Bell's now...............Distributed anywhere near CT!

Big shout out to Bell's,love what they do.

Cheers All........
  34. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

That's awesome. I can't wait for that. I know it'll probably be a while before it's finally a reality, but fresh cans Two Hearted on shelves in upstate NY would be just off-the-wall amazing.
    smutty33 likes this.
  35. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Would VT be considered at some point?
  36. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

yes!.................. N.Y. distribution would be awesome! I would drink two hearted every day!.................
  37. alexsergio

alexsergio Savant (290) New York Mar 7, 2011

wow, mr. bell, i love your brewery sir. i wish you the best of luck with all future ventures.

i would be very happy to buy all of your offerings here on long island instead of ordering online!
  38. If you are going into New York, you might as well add New Jersey.