1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bells should increase barrel program, like NOW

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MarcWP, Nov 8, 2013.

1. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (425) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

The more barrel aged offerings we have the more likely there will be competitive pricing which will benefit all of us. Imagine a shelf full of great barrel-aged options on a constant basis. There are breweries who really shouldn't be barrel aging so they would be sifted out. You can cry all you want about being tired of barrel aged beers. Leaves more for the rest of us o_O
  2. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I only do that when i pass out.
  3. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

Over the summer they seemed to have Wild One everyday at the Cafe. It made me wonder why they wouldn't have used some of that and made 12oz four packs. Would have been nice.
    Ferocious and MarcWP like this.
  4. PaulyB83

Just wondering but Bell's doesn't have gypsum caves like Founders do they?
  5. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

Bell's has expanded and continues to expand their barrel program. Those of us in and around Kalamazoo are enjoying it quite a bit. You really ought to come up and visit, making the trip to taste the beers sure beats complaining about not getting them on the internet.
  6. I think those caves are available for rent to other breweries, although I don't know how much space is there. I'm pretty sure that Arcadia ages their Shipwreck Porter in the same caves that Founders uses. When I've toured Bell's brewing facility in Galesburg I saw barrels in racks, so it looks like Bell's must keep their aging beers on site.
  7. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (425) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

I know they have expanded. Not really complaining just throwing it out there that they are one of the bigger breweries that doesn't really distribute any specialty items very far. I'd love to come up and visit but I've taken about three beer trips this year. Can't do it just when I get the urge!
  8. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Oh yeah I feel really bad for you guys in California. :p

(just teasing by the way. no one get butthurt)
  9. In less that 2 weeks a local bar is having a Bells tap takeover. It will be the seventh time this year I have had Black note on tap. It is like I died and went to heaven.
  10. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (610) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

That's probably not too far off. I have a hard time drinking more than 1. It is good though.
    azorie likes this.
  11. PaulyB83

Found a video on mLive of people touring Founders cave. Seems that a big benefit is aging at cellar temps. So am I to assume Bell's isn't able to age and cellar temps? Cuz that kinda sucks, even though I'm not too sure that it makes a noticeable difference.
  12. They're doing something right, cave or no cave. ;)
    PaulyB83 likes this.
  13. Bell's is currently building a new brewery/brand in the Upper Peninsula. Groundbreaking was less than a month ago and they haven't even poured concrete, but I'm upset that they don't have giant barrels on the property yet. Priorities!?!?!?!? (Kidding of course and very much looking forward to Upper Hand!)
  14. The Bourbon barrel beers are at Galesburg, the sours are at the original brewery.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  15. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

I would personally like y'all to deliver your entire wonderful lineup to my front door. The fact that you don't distribute to Texas (yet) is besides the point. I'll e-mail you with the address. Thank you so much for responding to your customers needs.

BTW: One good thing about visiting my brother in Florida is I get to enjoy Two hearted Ale again.
  16. I know it's not too bad for us here in the bay area, definitely have access to some great beers. But don't you always desire most what you can't have ?
  17. what
  18. I've always wanted to try straight up BA Expedition! I bet it's a killer.
  19. Black Note is 10x better, there's a reason Bells bottles that instead of BB Expedition.
  20. tourdot

tourdot Savant (415) Wisconsin Mar 3, 2012

Sacrifice Backwoods??!! um, NO! That's a terrible idea, especially for a cherry BA beer. I hope you're being sarcastic
    cindyjeffsmith likes this.
  21. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Oh without a doubt! The grass is always greener on the other side haha. There are so many beers that sit around other states that I would gladly buy constantly if they were distributed here! Thankfully there are so many good craft breweries out there now that most places have at least a few good options. Cheers!
  22. Totally serious, Backwoods isn't bad but I love cherries and there's only so many barrels to go around.
  23. tourdot

tourdot Savant (415) Wisconsin Mar 3, 2012

Only Founders makes Backwoods. More barrels are used/discarded every day. Founders can afford them. Anyway, I've gotten us off topic. Of course we all want Bells and all of our favorites to increase their barrel program but then again if BA beers were all common shelf beers would they be appreciated as much?
  24. Appreciated as much i say hell yea, let me see what am I going to buy today? BCBS no I am sick of that there it is Brandy Hunaphu I will have one of those please.
    MarcWP likes this.
  25. kzoobrew

There are good opinion and there are bad opinions. This opinion is the latter. Sure, there are reasons Bell's bottles Black Note and not BA Expo, but it certainly is not because its a superior beer.
  26. Since I'm guessing from your name you live really close to Bells, what do you think the reasons are? I'm asking mainly because it seems to me, it would be easier for bells to make BB Expedition than Black Note. Mainly because Bells blends both expedition and double cream stout to make Black Note, why not just skip the blending step if BB expedition is better? For me, Black Note is much sweeter than BB Expedition, which IMO makes it a superior beer.
  27. kzoobrew

In my opinion, blending two beers means you have more of both base beers for distribution. Brewing Expedition already requires more time and resources, it is also brewed in smaller batch sizes that many of their other seasonals. If you want to produce BA Expo in the same quantity that you are producing Black Note you are going to cut into you Expedition supply that much further.

BA Expo has a much richer, fuller flavor and texture. I love Black Note but I simply do not see how it can compete with BA Expo.
  28. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (305) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

They also make more Double Cream Stout, hypothetically they could use more of that in the Black Note blend to get it to wider distribution....but then it wouldn't be Black Note.

And I'm pretty sure the Cream Stout aspect of it is the reason so many people seem to prefer other barreled stouts to Black Note.