1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's "This one goes to 11 Ale", what happened?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by trxxpaxxs, Jun 13, 2012.

1. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Advocate (650) New York Mar 5, 2010

2. thebeerisgood

thebeerisgood Savant (250) Indiana Mar 13, 2011

It's not 11 yet....?
  3. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Any clue what batch # Bell's is currently on? Not trying to be douchey I'm genuinely curious
  4. trxxpaxxs

5. trxxpaxxs

6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Very odd. The only thing I can think of is maybe they've decided to barrel age it? Would they brew it as the 11000 batch but then let it sit in barrels for a while before bottling and distributing?
  7. I thought I read somewhere that they might start doing specials like this at the 5,000 batch mark instead of 1,000.
    So perhaps this would hit at batch 15,000.
    That or batch 11,111... perhaps?
  8. trxxpaxxs

Barrel aging is a definite possibility...

That's possible, but if you type in batch 11,000 in the batch finder, it seems not to exist. So what happened to it? I hope it's chillin' in a barrel somewhere.

Batch 11,111 was Third Coast: http://www.bellsbeer.com/batch-search/?batch_no=11111&select=batch_finder
  9. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

Barrel aged Oberon anyone?
  10. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Gag
  11. If this ever gets released, I have to get it for my buddy just because his favorite movie is Spinal Tap.

...Even if it's BA Oberon (ugh)
  12. "Can I raise a practical question at this point?
    Are we gonna do Stonehenge tomorrow?"
    DanK4, BobZ, Vav and 1 other person like this.
  13. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Barrel Aged Imperial Red Ale? Interestante...
  14. MarkIntihar

Jackie O's made one (of course :D) and it was actually really nice.
    pschul4 likes this.
  15. I was thinking they won't be doing batches every 1,000 anymore, based on their website info on Batch 10,000:

The last of a series, Batch 10,000 Ale looks back to our home-brewing roots. After combing through the catalogs of many, many malt & hop suppliers, our brewers used over 100 different malts, grains, and other fermentables, and followed them up with a blend of 60 different hop varietals between the kettle additions and dry-hopping. The resulting beer presents a deep, chocolate brown hue and offers roasted & caramel notes from the malts mixed with an assertive hop character. Sharply bitter, the beer possesses a full mouthfeel without being heavy & will withstand aging in your cellar, if you prefer.
  16. MarkIntihar

The OP links a site with a label for this one. It's technically not part of the "Batch X000" series, but the name is obviously derived from the series.
  17. CWBlues

CWBlues Savant (310) Indiana May 4, 2011

One of our local breweries (Flat 12, my avatar) does a bourbon barrel aged vanilla amber called Mustache Ride. They did it for Movember--it still pops up. It's tasty. I know--different than an imperial red, but...whatever.
    Shagtastic and pschul4 like this.
  18. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Two Hearted, bottled 6/5, is batch 11164 so we are past 11k. It is possible the batch number is simply reserved for this beer, sometimes brewing does not fit as neatly into the calendar as a brewery would like. With the opening of the new brewhouse there has been a lot going on, I would not be surprised if that played a roll.

I do believe it has been done before, there may be a reason it has not been done since.
    adamdd likes this.
  19. I feel like Oberon could do well in a White Wine barrel with some extra bugs.
    claaark13 likes this.
  20. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I dub it Whoaberon.
    DanK4, claaark13, JohnB87 and 5 others like this.
  21. Or "OhNoBeron"... if it tastes bad. :p
    TravisMBinns likes this.
  22. I talked with Laura Bell just recently about this one, and she said they didn't have any further info on this one yet. She wouldn't say anything further than that.
    adamdd and trxxpaxxs like this.
  23. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

"I will neither confirm nor deny your claims".

Yeah, okay, just come out and say "Yes, it's Batch 11,000."
  24. 1koolspud

1koolspud Aficionado (150) Illinois Jun 30, 2008

Shoreline did a Red Rye in Shiraz barrels. That was tasty.
  25. Bells has done this in the past. The batch number indicates when it was brewed, not when it is released. Batch 9K got released for sale around the same time as batch 9500.
  26. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (800) New York Dec 13, 2009

27. Hyping, hoarding, trading, muling, and other general malfeasance, commence!
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  28. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

This cool and all, but whatever happened to BA Batch 9K????
  29. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Agreed, just because they're at Batch 11k doesn't mean they'll actually brew it then. Doubt we'll see it anytime soon.
  30. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I thought they had already passed 11k a while ago and now is the time that they will be brewing it?
  31. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

OhNoLebron when he left Cleveland.
    ADTaber likes this.
  32. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Being shipped out later this month.

11% Imperial Red. Excited for this!

I wonder how limited this is going to be?
  33. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

This One Goes to 11 Ale features a variety of different hops including Galaxy, Motueka, Summer, Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic

:eek: want! Must get!
  34. Keffa

Word, Motueka, Galaxy, Simcoe and Citra = FRUIT BOMB.
    dsal89 likes this.
  35. Don't leave out Mosaic. It is often said to have a blueberry flavor.
    dsal89 likes this.
  36. Keffa

Not one I've used before... I'm intrigued... Do tell more...
  37. It was X-369 when it went through trials last year, and went into production this year. Bells, RR, Widmer, SN(?) and one more had these to try.

You can do a search and maybe find more. It has also been described as "Son of Simcoe" as Simcoe was one of the parents. It has a of the Simcoe charactor, but does not have the cat pee aroma that my wife hates in Simcoe.
  38. Keffa

I've never had cat pee out of Simcoe, however, I have had the cat pee aroma out of Citra. The first time I had Zombie Dust, I smelled it, and instantly commented "Awww man, cat piss..." but after giving it a few minutes, it got better. Now it just smells like tangerines.

Edit: Just looked it up. Specs look good, fairly solid storage % as well too. Might try to find some eventually.
  39. There is a compound called 4MMP that men usually get as piney, while women say cat pee. There was some research done by the Japanese that found this. Explained why I smell a beer with Simcoe and say pine, my wife says Cat Pee!.
    ColForbinBC likes this.