1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's This One Goes To 11 - doesn't appear in search

Discussion in 'Report a Bug' started by CMUbrew, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Member

When doing a beer search for "This one goes to 11", no results can be found. If the full name "This one goes to 11 ale" is used, there are too many results to sift through, obviously because so many names contain "ale", so I do not know if it turns up there, but this appears to be a bug currently.
  2. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Member

it's new so maybe no one added it
  3. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Member

It's on the site. Around 40 reviews or so I think. You can find it if you look under Bell's brewery at their beer list, but the beer itself cannot be found on its own in the search.
  4. shand

shand Member

This is probably because "this," "one," "goes," "to," and "11" are all search terms that are likely ignored due to being too common or too short. The Google search afterwards picks it up just fine.

If you're wondering - "Why is "ale" not included then?" - The answer is simple. It's probably using a generic list of search terms to ignore, rather than a beer specific one.
  5. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Member

I hadn't thought of the ignored words, so you are likely correct. And I did notice the Google search. However, if a beer is on the site, I think it should be able to turn up in a search, like everything else. I would think a quick fix would allow the search to make an exception for this particular beer so that it shows up. That's what I'm after here.
  6. NoLeafClover44

NoLeafClover44 Member

I don't think the search recognizes numbers. I agree with he above poster that those common words are probably ignored by the search as well.
  7. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Member

I searched "this one goes to 11 ale" (with quotes), and it does indeed pop up. The quotes are gonna be important, I think. It's basic google-fu
  8. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Member

Yep, that does indeed seem to work. I had't tried that. Just seems like a hassle when compared to searching for other beers, where you can usually type in half the name and have it turn up in the search. I have been convinced this is not a bug, since it is the terms of the search that both prevent and allow this beer to turn up in a search. At this point I am just wondering if a small patch or something can allow this beer to show up in the search when the specific string containing any of "this one goes to 11" (without quotes) is used. If I didn't think of the search ignoring certain words or of using quotes, then it wouldn't be a stretch to say that others will run into the same problem and be confused as well.
  9. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Member

Yeah, it's definitely a pain. I agree, it seems like a beer name that has all of the words you type in the order you type them should come up first.
  10. Todd

Todd BA Founder Staff Member

This is not a bug. The beer simply contains common words that are ignored by the search; unless quoted as already mentioned.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.