1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bells Two Hearted Firkin

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by wobbles, Jan 14, 2013.

1. wobbles

wobbles Zealot (75) Indiana Apr 7, 2009

Can anyone give me a decent description of the Two Hearted Firkin. I have had no luck finding anything online.

2. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

I had one of these yesterday. Now as I understand it, this is not necessarily a distinct product in and of itself, but rather a different processing and packaging of the Two Hearted, namely cask-conditioned. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The Sommelier described it as a somewhat more authentically old-fashioned version of Two-Hearted Ale. The carbonation was very low, with the head looking like a thin film of rather large soap bubbles. It was reddish in color, slightly hazy. The flavor to me was balanced and well integrated, a bit to the hoppy side, very much like regular Two-Hearted in some ways but distinctly more mellow.

There is something a bit intangible about the cask-conditioning I can't really put my finger on, primitive, old-timey, low-tech, or rustic is as close as I can come. The flattish mouth feel was odd at first, but once I got used to it I found it to be very smooth; it seemed to go down better in larger mouth-fulls rather than sips. I would drink this again, but I would not go out of my way or loose any sleep over it.

I'm really not very experienced with cask beer, I really should stop in Wino's Depot more often, they always have one going it seems.

3. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (580) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Same product, no priming sugar or force carbonation. Low amount of carbon dioxide is produced by a fermentation in the cask it self.

I think the mouthfeel and nose benefit greatly from the lack of carbonation.

Penguin3200 and Mothergoose03 like this.
  5. Not all beers benefit from cask conditioning. Two Hearted does. The first time I had Two Hearted it was a fairly new beer for Bells, and it was on cask. Excellent.

I have had it on cask since. Had it in DC, probably 2009, at Pizza Paradiso. Excellent again.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  6. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

7. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Two Hearted was the first cask conditioned beer I ever had and it really was eye opening for me. To me it was a great example of how craft beer production allows you to be creative. I always get a pint of it if I find it in a firkin.