1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's XSlam?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fredmugs, Jan 18, 2013.

1. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Anyone ever heard of this? There's a Bell's tap takeover Monday featuring the following beers:

◾Hopslam
    ◾Expedition Stout
    ◾The Oracle
    ◾Amber
    ◾Smitten
    ◾Winter White
    ◾Harry Magill's Spiced Stout
    ◾Two-Hearted Ale
    ◾Harvest Ale
    ◾XSlam

I can't find XSlam anywhere.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Maybe Hopslam ran through a randall?

dsal89 likes this.
  3. premierpro

premierpro Savant (315) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Where is this event taking place?

4. Who care's if anyone has heard of it?
    IF it sucks you have 9 other Bell's selections to chose from.

5. Assuming it's hopslam with some kind of additive like extra hops as Hanzo mentioned.

6. fredmugs

Where? Bloomington, IN
    Why? Hoping somebody else has had this. I'm hoping it means Experimental Hopslam.

7. Maybe their way of saying a Hopslam/Expedition half & half?

8. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

Pretty sure thats it. I've done it at home and its delish.

9. fredmugs

Really? I have both of those but I would never risk two beers like that.

10. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

it's pretty damn good, and you will once you've gone through a couple hopslam seasons.

jRocco2021 and fredmugs like this.
  11. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Some of my favorite combinations include a black and tan mixture of imperial IPA/Stout.

Maharaja and IRS springs immediately to mind. You should try Hopslam/Expedition because that sounds boner worthy.

MisterGrizz and fredmugs like this.
  12. Half Hopslam/half Expedition stout.

13. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

Almost like a Heaven n Hell...D-Lish!

14. Probably the mix. I've had an 'X-Rated Heart of Darkness', which is a Black and Tan made with Expedition and Two Hearted. I expect that XSlam is the same with Hopslam.

15. Try a Founders Breakfast Bastard. Half Breakfast Stout, half Backwoods Bastard. Fantabulous.

NickyDee21, rolandboy and DevilsCups like this.
  16. drevim

drevim Aficionado (190) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

It is the half and half. We have the same thing down here at our Hopslam tap night.

BarryMFBurton and fredmugs like this.
  17. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

As ridiculous as half Hopslam / half Expedition Stout sounds, I'd bet anyone 100$ I'm gonna go home and try it tonight.

18. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Why would anyone ever want to take you up on that? :p

jbeezification likes this.
  19. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Pics or it doesn't count.

20. You should try a Backwoods KBS.

21. that's my favorite "adult" website.

22. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

shot in the dark here but what if it were a dry hopped version of hop slam?

23. A black and tan of Experidition and Hopslam was the first thing that came to my mind. I havent gotten into mixing beers yet, but about 90% of the beers people say they mix sound awful in my mind. I will try some of these things one day though.

founder26 likes this.
  24. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (610) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

If it is the half and half, why would they list it as a separate tap?

RobertColianni likes this.
  25. pics or it didn't happen.

Send me mah moooney

26. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

If it is an Expedition and Hopslam black and "tan" (black and green?) I would drink roughly 100 of them

27. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Your Bell's tap takeover is way better than what we're having here at the local World of Beer.

28. tectactoe

Told you guys I'd get around to it.....

[​IMG]

29. WOW, don't know if I'd have the balls to mess with success . . . Hopslam's just so good, I couldn't risk it.

30. bierenutz

bierenutz Savant (310) Michigan Jan 21, 2010

We did a little ditty called Blackslam (Black Note and Hopslam) on Sunday while watching the NFL playoff games...interesting treat ;)

PD4Ever and erikkoppin like this.
  31. erog5188

erog5188 Zealot (85) Wisconsin Mar 16, 2010

I was at the eccentric cafe a week or so ago and they had "EXP" beers. the experimental hop series..try them they are delicious...as well as hopslam if you can get it fresh!

32. tectactoe

I know what you mean. But I still have two sixers of Hopslam and another sixer of Expedition, so I figured why not.

Honestly.... It was delicious. And I'm not just saying that, either. I seriously will consider mixing a few more before I run out. Pleasantly surprised, to say the least.

InVinoVeritas likes this.
  33. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

had an xslam yesterday - it was 60% hopslam, 40% expedition (as per a conversation with the server), so not quite 50/50 for me. better than i expected, but i'll stick with each in their original form.

robboyd and El_Zilcho like this.
  34. Whimpers

Whimpers Advocate (505) New York Dec 17, 2010

at a camping trip with farily BMC bros last year the Flower Power 10 Fidy mix we called " man ice cream" was a real hit. bet this mix is even more awesome.

35. mzeld

mzeld Savant (260) Michigan Mar 5, 2012

Had it tonight with tectactoe...Honestly, it was soooo good. I'm absolutely shocked on how delicious it was.

tectactoe likes this.
  36. I hear ya, I mixed up one of these a year or so ago, it was good but I would much rather have each on their own, I dont think I'll ever be mixing them again... but who knows. Nice avatar btw.

fvernon likes this.
  37. rolandboy

rolandboy Savant (250) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

this ^

and this ^ although there is an ongoing debate in my circle whether to call it breakfast bastard or bastard breakfast. either way it tastes great on tap at founders!

38. Tried the XSlam this past weekend. Unfortunately, I will not waste another Expedition on this combo. Drinkable, but even at a 60/40 mixture, the Hopslam just overpowered the Expedition. It was very drinkable, but I am a stout & porter guy. Ill save my Expeditions and enjoy them on their own. Glad I tried it though. Maybe at a 75/25 mixture it would have kept me coming back.

39. I know folks have discussed the pouring of black and tans in other threads, but to anyone who has tried XSlam specifically: how was it poured? Any specific technique or order?

40. I actually think the mix is damn good. Did it a couple weeks back when the Hopslam was super fresh. Expedition by itself is better, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Given how similar the ABV is, you're not going to get separation, so it really doesn't matter. I just poured it vigorously enough to get a fairly consistent mix throughout.

mzeld likes this.