1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Belma hop

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by memory, Nov 30, 2012.

1. memory

memory Savant (260) Pennsylvania Oct 2, 2005

Anyone brew an ipa using Belma yet and get to taste it? Would like to know what you think of it.

2. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

I have an unopened lb of pellets in my fridge, so I'd like to know, as well. I'm tempted to bust it open, then I have to jar it up flushing w/ co2. I dont have a vacuum sealer. :(

3. I haven’t brewed with Belma. Below is a description from a poster on another beer forum:

“Just tasted a friends Belma pale ale. Kinda like a mellow cascade hopped ale with a little more punch from the higher AA's making it seem very dry.”

Cheers!

4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Hmmm, not what I had hoped for, but at the very least it may make a nice background hop to mix in with others.

Wondering if anyone has any feedback for pellets vs. leaf? They were so cheap, I bought both to use in the kettle and hopback.

5. Ward, the above is just one man’s opinion.

The below description is provided on the Hopsdirect website:

“Dr. Shellhammer from OSU tested Belma™ and created a Pale Ale Malt. He noted the following description: A very clean hop, with a very orange, slight grapefruit, tropical (but not mango/guava, more like pineapple), strawberry, and melon. As this is a very new variety, we welcome customer feedback and encourage you to write a review.”

I am uncertain how to reconcile “very clean hop” with the descriptor of “very orange”. Is it a very clean orange?:confused:

I think you just need to brew with this making a solely hopped Pale Ale of IPA. Please report back your opinion.

Cheers!

6. Caution! Threadjack

Anyone tried Aramis (8.1% AA)? I think Stone is making something with it. Was going to use it in my Flanders Red, but decided to go with some lower alpha Celeia (4%AA).

7. I have a couple unopened pounds in the freezer. I've seen several people say the hop is sort of a mild citra flavor. It may be too mild of a flavor for an IPA, even when used in large volumes. I expect I will use a lot for bittering additions and blending with other hops. I have an American wheat I plan on brewing soon that I'm going to try going all-Belma on. Doesn't need to be too hoppy so the Belma should work fine.

8. memory

Maybe I missed it but wondering if they know the linage of Belma if possible by analysis. All i read was it was growing on a shed?

9. Not sure, but maybe the difference between using it for bittering rather than for flavour / aroma?

10. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (440) Utah May 2, 2006

I got a pound in the freezer, also. I was enticed by the description (above) and the price. When I get to it, probably 4 batches from now, I think I'll make an APA with 2 row, minimal crystal, and 100% Belma, just to see what it is like. Or perhaps I'll try a small batch...

11. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I did a Belma Galaxy IPA/APA..

It's fermenting right now, I'll post some notes. Preliminary wise, smells somewhat earthy, a bit of berry upfront. Then it has a tart melon/orange note. Very light and smooth.

12. A professional brewer described it to me as a spicier Galaxy.

13. penderp

penderp Initiate (0) Washington Sep 19, 2008

I brewed an all-Belma IPA about a month and a half ago. Simple grain bill with 2-row, some victory, and cara-pils. It turned out tasting very unexpected... I went in expecting pineapple (because of the raw hop smell) but I would describe the flavor as consisting of light passionfruit, heavy spice, and strawberry. They are pretty different. I think they would be excellent in pale Belgian styles because of the heavy spice and light fruity notes.

14. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I love Galaxy so I hope this is accurate - since I bought 4lbs at the bargain price. At the very least I will have a lot of good bittering hops for next to nothing. I have a CTZ/Cascade/Belma IPA that I will keg soon; hoping for the best.

15. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I just pulled a taste from my fermenter of my Galaxy Belma IPA.

Finished at 1.010, from 1.067.

I FWH'd it with Belma.. It's a great, great bittering hop. Tosses a nice fruity note, with a slick, yet firm bitter touch to it. Lingers on your tounge. I'm impressed with that the most. Aroma is nice, somewhat earthy, ripe melon, strawberry, a bit of lemon and tangerine.. Much like a fruit cup assortment really, slightly tart.There is a twang to it, that makes my mouth feel dry, slightly spicy, but not like chinook spice.

Aroma isn't over the top, and what I do pick up, could be the Galaxy that I had in there. Although I used something like 2-3X's the Belma to the Galaxy.

I plan to dry hop it with 2oz of Belma leaf, and maybe some Cascade or Galaxy.

I like the way the beer turned out for sure.. Looking forward to drinking it!

If it lacks the aroma, it makes up for it in being a great bittering hop I think. At $5 a pound, I might get me another pound of it in the future for bittering my IPA's and Pales where the slight fruit note will mingle well.

MMAJYK likes this.
  16. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Finally got my hop order yesterday (long story, really pissed at FedEx and will go UPS from here on out when I can). Can't wait to try these out, especially with the little bit of Pacific Jade I've got left for a saison next time 3726 is available.

17. skivtjerry

Ok, I kegged and force-carbed the IPA last night, a little prematurely, because the time became available. Am sipping one right now. It's still pretty rough and raw but here are my initial impressions.

I definitely get the strawberry. Also bitter orange, a little of the tangerine and what I suppose is the melon note people refer to. To me it is more like pumpkin or winter squash, like the dense stringy stuff next to the seed pod when you're cleaning a butternut squash. One thing that is a little off-putting is that it seems to push the Cascade/CTZ flavors aside rather than blending with them; this might change with a little time to mature.

I'm not sure this will be an APA/IPA hop for me but it might be very interesting in a witbier or saison. Another sip tells me this could be great in a rye beer. Not my final judgement, just what I'm tasting right now.

18. I am brewing a Belma session beer tomorrow, may make it a smash with Marris Otter. I have to see what yeast I have on hand, and figure out the recipe first ;-)

19. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (340) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

okay...who named this hop?? an italian scooby-doo fan?

(sorry zero legit input for this thread)

20. Treb0R

Treb0R Savant (290) Oregon Dec 12, 2012

I just finished two West Coast American IIPAs with Belma. It works, but it's not my favorite. It has Noble traits of spicy, peppery, grassy earth mixed with American traits of funky pineapple, orange zest, and a hint of strawberry. It's not extremely aromatic, so you sense more of this on the palate.

For someone with a ton of Belma on hand, who also enjoys many of the top rated West Coast IIPAs listed on this website, I would recommend only using Belma to bitter, or from 30-20 minutes left in the boil. Add your Citra, Amarillo, Summit, Centennial, or other bold American hops from 15-0-DH. I feel that using Belma late provides a very odd character than is not necessarily desired for this style of beer.

21. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

This hop SCREAMS Saison to me. I am putting off ordering because of the $$ shipping but I would love to hear how it works with a saison. I have heard a lot of Pepper spice flavor.

22. skivtjerry

Saison and witbier, I think. I love Calypso in saisons and think Belma might work well with it, or by itself.

23. This has got to be the most over-hyped hop since Sorachi Ace : )...might have to buy a few oz to join the parade...better yet... think I'll wait until they're <$1.00/oz.

24. They are under $6 a pound. That's the hype, every home brewer ordering from hops direct has added a pound or two to their order.

25. With shipping? at $6/# I'm not even interested : ) ...what's the AA? I'm listening

11.3%?....actually read the entire thread

26. That's why I ordered 3#. Worst case it's a pretty good bittering hop :)

27. If I didn't have a bumper crop of Chinook, I might be interested...put me in the camp of bittering is bittering for most of my hoppy brews : )

28. Hopsdirect is near Mabton WA. There was a town across the river named Belma.

Some of the hops are named for places or geological features in the PNW. Ahtanum for example.

29. They're <$0.33/oz + shipping. Shipping is less than $1 (<$.07/oz) if you're adding it to an existing order, which would make it <$0.40/oz total. That's how a lot of us bought them. But, even if you bought 1# all by itself, it's only a hair above your $1/oz. threshold.

Edit: I should note that I buy my hops in 1# increments, so that's where I'm coming from.

30. If I am going to buy hops in bulk is it essential to have one of those vacuum sealers?

31. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

I would (and do) especially if you plan on keeping them around for a few months to a year+.

jsullivan02130 likes this.
  32. Thanks. The list of things I need/want never stops.

33. Vacuum sealers are great to have, but not essential. I got one dirt cheap ($5) on craigslist, it's finicky, but seals eventually. If you can't find one used, check around in your local home brew club, I borrowed one from a buddy and sealed all my hops in 2 ounce increments before I had my own. It was a pain in the ass, but nice to have everything stored well.

34. skivtjerry

35. memory

Anyone have an update on their Belma brew?

36. Racked mine yesterday (http://hopville.com/recipe/1666890) and it has a very mild hop flavour that I describe as red berries & melon rind. Dry hopping in the keg right now.

37. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

From here

38. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I have a friends party in a few months and was thinking of making a keg of something that the non-good beer drinkers (they tend to like Coors light.) would like. the beers I usually make are too bitter (IPA's or too "Dark" ) for them. So this time I want to make something that they will like. I am making a Amarillo IPA for me, but for them I was thinking of a Hoppy Blonde with a lot of Belma for dry hopping. Do you think this would work? The last beer I made that they liked was a pale ale with apricot, but I want to use my belma.

39. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

I like the aroma from the dry hops. Should be worth a try. Might go really well with apricot too.

40. I bought a # also...since I was already buying a # of Centennial cones and was already getting raped with the shipping. My plan is to use them for bittering in non-hoppy beers unless the accolades increase exponentially for late hopping.