1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Belmont Station is growing

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by djbreezy, Mar 13, 2012.

1. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

2. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Aww, thanks!

Regarding Ezra's post, I'm not sure who his "trusted sources" are, but they're getting a little ahead of themselves. The part about Carl buying the building is true (and public record), but everything beyond that is pure speculation. The only thing I know for sure is that we want to use the back yard to expand our outdoor seating capacity, but any expansion/renovation plans have to be approved by the city and the OLCC, so who knows how that will pan out. Once you factor in various ADA requirements, the possibility of the city requiring another bathroom (due to increased seating capacity), and numerous other "unknowns", even a seemingly simple project like expanding into the back yard becomes a serious undertaking.

Trust me, once we actually have plans I'll let you know. :)

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Either way, it's great to see these places holding their own and/or expanding. I was down in PDX recently and made a whirlwind tour of Belmont and BeerMongers, only wish I had time to hit more spots. Amazing scene down there.

Up here in Seattle, several new bottle shops have popped up over the past couple years, and some are already expanding or moving to bigger/better locations.

Maybe beer can save the economy.

4. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

What's amazing to me is that all the new spots that have popped up in the last 3-4 years (Beer Mongers, Saraveza, Hop and Vine, Bottles, etc) all seem to be flourishing as well. If anything, it's a testament to the ever-growing crowd of craft beer drinkers here. At times it seems like the market is saturated because we're smack in the middle of it, but every now and then I take a mental step back and remember that even in Oregon the consumption of craft beer is still under 25%.

There's lots and lots of room for everyone to grow. Well, Portland may be reaching a saturation point, but we have regulars who drive here from Washougal, Salem, Estacada, and as far away as The Dalles on a weekly basis because the little towns around us are still beer deserts.

NWer and Docer like this.
  5. djbreezy

Ha, sorry to add another spark to the flame! Bloggers... o_O

6. TheNewSchool

TheNewSchool Disciple (70) Oregon Oct 6, 2011

Maltmaster420 Chris,

the story says "At this point it is still conjecture, though, as phase 3 of Belmont Station is still being planned." and you confirmed the outdoor seating part. Also I tried to contact Carl for comment on this but got no response. So as far as I can tell there are no inaccuracies in the story.

7. djbreezy

To me, you sound like a blogger, to me. Who else seen the blogger, say 'yah!' ;) I'm a run a backhoe and uproot that tree. I wanna know where the gold at. I want the gold. Give me the gold.

8. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

Great news for Belmont Station, even though I avoid the place because of the way I have seen their employees treat their customers.

black13 and Brewbro000 like this.
  9. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

What are you talking about? They are the friendliest place in town...Oh wait they are rude and talk down to people. That's more like it.
    I do frequent the Biercafe on a nice sunny days and I can sit outside though.

black13 likes this.
  10. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Yes, I was there tonight, they can be dicks.

Unless pretentious, know-it-all, condescending assholeism is a desired trait in bar tenders nowadays.

black13, CaptainTripps and tcampbel1 like this.
  11. CaptainTripps

^ This

12. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Really? I'll agree that the staff can occasion not be the most friendly and/or engaging folks on the planet, but I've never been treated badly there.

Condescending assholes? Maybe there's been a turn over in the staff there as I've never notice that kind of attitude.

djbreezy likes this.
  13. CaptainTripps

As long as you don't make interactions with most* of the employees there, the place is damn cool. Great selection and great stuff on tap. But I have frequently seen the pretentious, know-it all, condescending assholeism quite a bit there, espescially towards people who are not so knowledgable about beer and are trying to explore different styles.

14. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Again, I just have not seen this. Maybe this tends to happen later in the evening (when the staff are tired, frustated, worn out... )? I confess I'm never there late at night

I find that that draft selection at Belmont Station frequently includes a number of unusual selections, often from small, out of the way breweries (most of the stuff I've tried from Barley Brown, Gilgamesh and Brewers Union 180, I've tried there). So I often hear customers asking about different beers on the menu, and while the staff often aren't exactly gushing with enthusiasm and friendliness, they generally answer the questions in a fairly polite manner.

I often get that "I'm really tired of doing this menial/job" vibe from some of the staff there, but I can't say I've ever seen the condescending asshole attitude you guys are referring to.

15. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I want to go on the record and say: Mitzi is awesome!

At times they can be dicks, especially in the shop. I just avoid interaction and unless I have trouble finding a certain, specific bottle. The bier cafe can be rocky at times, but I think they know me enough that they are generally nice to me. Not that that is an excuse for how they act towards other customers.

Mahlik likes this.
  16. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

I've never seen any employee mistreat a customer at Belmont Station. Some can be aloof, but yeah, haven't seen any mistreatment. Rather, I can usually tell who's from out of town because it seems like there's an employee helping them make some selections.

17. digita7693

I will attest to the fact that Mitzi is awesome.
    We talked for about 30minutes today, she was really interested in German beers and whats available etc there.

18. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

I find the staff to be quite nice.

19. I've never been mistreated there and love the selection at Belmont, but I just enjoy Beermongers more

20. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Another huzzah! for Mitzi. She is just the best beer clerk in town. Period.

digita7693 likes this.
  21. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Chalk up four cheers for Mitzi!

22. digita7693

Probably need to differentiate between the bar staff and the store staff, night and day.

23. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, I don't shop at Belmont a ton, but the staff in the bottle shop has always been helpful and pleasant. Friendly, even. The couple times I've been to the bar side, the bartenders have given off the vibe that they're being put out to serve you a beer. But I've definitely never felt mistreated by any staff there on either side.

24. Docer

Docer Savant (415) Washington Nov 20, 2008

Great spot, and always rare and great taps/casks... I have had a few bad experiences there, but that is because the pace in SE PDX can be a little more mellow and forgiving than most realistic places. I love the selection there, and have met Maltmaster420 who is a standup guy. I also do a blog, and have been trying to 'tap-in' on more going on there. Just bring some cash, and have a good time. You won't regret it. One spot that makes me miss living near there. I just can't stand half the people over there in that micro-region. :eek:

25. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Chalk up another one for Mitzi. One of the best!

26. Just to add to belmont's employees etc. I go to this shop about an avg 3-4 a month, easily purchasing $75+ each time. Theres two reg employees that are helpful/friendly. The bartenter, i think hes ginger, what a dick. Just asked to sub a beer to try a taster flight & he was just rude about it. Gave some quick smartass remark & walked away. Pffff. Other than that i really dont have a problem w/ staff. Just typical pdx hippies. I guess that's standard. Congrats on the poss expansion. Spread out the beer section alil bit. If theres 8 peeps looking for beer, its already too many & crowded...

27. djbreezy

Eh, I get the aloof treatment sometimes but I don't let it bother me. More importantly, don't let people intimidate you from asking the questions you want to. Let them deal with it. It's their job as long as you're courteous.

If someone is a smart ass to you then hand it right back. You might just put them in their place. I can be a bit brash when I need to though so don't take my advice... :)

28. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Why deal with people that can't treat you right when you're spending money which ultimately pays their salary. If you take your m money elsewhere, and enough other people do this, eventually the owners would get the idea that something needs to change.

29. boMD

I heard a rumor that Mitzi had left :(

30. digita7693

She was there last Thursday, so about 9 days ago, so no, unless its a very recent thing.

31. boMD

Yesterday was her last day I heard.

32. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Belmont Station is a must stop whenever I'm in Portland. I usually get there early before the bar is open. My experience has always been exceptional. Knowledgeable and helpful staff even volunteering that special bottle that might be stashed away in the corner. Big shout-out from this corner for Belmont Station!

33. boralyl

boralyl Savant (325) Oregon Apr 17, 2008

I'll echo some of the same comments. Bottle shop staff has always been friendly and helpful to me. There is one bartender in particular that is always aloof and somewhat rude, the others have been great.

34. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Well, if I felt this way about my job, I'd be cranky too: :)

djbreezy likes this.
  35. yoko

yoko Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 23, 2005

I include this posting off Belmont Stations website. If any of you are able to come and share a pint that would be great. She's chosen something special from Upright to be on draught. Do let her know who you are on BA...she's curious who shared all these glowing comments.

FRIDAY APRIL 13 | 5-11PM | CHEERS TO MITZI!
    Obviously many people come and go in a business like ours and we've had our share of great ones. But only 3 people have been with us the entire time we've been in our "new" location on Stark Street (now five years old). Mitzi Komisar is known to most everyone who frequents Belmont Station for her warmth, hospitality, and beer guidance and we will all miss her.
    Direct from Mitzi: "It has been 5 ½ years that I’ve been at Belmont Station. I have always appreciated the opportunity to share in your beer buying, our many conversations, and all of your smiles. I liked that you often brought your children and your dogs to visit. You are all so special and it has been my pleasure to share with you. Friday, March 23rd was my last day at the Station. During that last week I was able to see so many of you for which I am grateful. I am embracing my Acupuncture practice with a full heart and 23 years of experience. If ever I can be of help with your questions or lend any guidance or service please contact me at [email protected]. Feel free to write just to say hi if you’d like. That which I will miss the most of Belmont Station is all of you. I humbly thank you..."
    Come raise a glass to Mitzi!