Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...

[Bend] Crux Fermentation Project visit and first tapping

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by djbreezy, Jul 9, 2012.

1. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (520) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Was down in Bend visiting some friends. Decided to stop by crux and see what was going on.

[​IMG]

Initially it looked like they only had guest taps on but the space is beautiful so I figured it was worth the visit.

[​IMG]

Literally about 5 minutes after we walk in I spot Larry Sidor and he gets called over to the bar. I noticed a photo umbrella and a dude taking shots on a nice Nikon upon walking in so I knew something was going down but I thought it was just a marketing shoot.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile Larry and a couple others start giving a speech and he announces that he's tapping his first beer brewed on the system. Still can't believe the timing.

[​IMG]

He said that he had only run soap and water through the system so this was literally the first beer. He labeled it a NW Session Ale and described the hops which I forget at this point...centennial, some citra, etc. Described it as a nice summer session beer with citrus hop flavors and currants. Would have never sought out the currants but they were there! So cool.

[​IMG]

These are all just quick cell phone shots because it was crowded and it wasn't my first stop :confused: (had been to 10 Barrel and GoodLife) but I hope you all enjoy! I also paid with Square and no money ever exchanged hands so that was incredibly cool. Such a nice payment system. You open a tab on the app, say your name when you go to pay and then the tip options pop up on your phone as well as your receipt.

2. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (690) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

from FB:

"A session Northwest Pale Ale with a refreshing hoppy aroma and flavor. Huge grapefruit notes. Oodles of complexity without the bitterness. Featuring Citra and Centennial whole flower hops from Yakima. 4.7% ABV—perfect for the hot temps"

djbreezy likes this.
  3. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (520) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Nice! My memory wasn't all that bad. I'm pretty proud of that. :D

4. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (690) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

visited just prior to the opening event. hung out with dave (former 21A) and was excited about the prospects for this place!

djbreezy likes this.
  5. distantmantra

distantmantra Advocate (685) Washington May 23, 2011 Verified

Hehe, nice to see the tanks up and working. It was a bit of a challenge transporting them from the warehouse to the brewery, but we got them there and upright!

djbreezy likes this.