1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bend/Klamath Falls Oregon

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Commanche, Mar 18, 2012.

1. The fam and I are making the trip from San Francisco to Bend with a stop in Klamath Falls. Was hoping to get any recommendations on places to check out or not go too. I have noted all the Beer Advocate Places for Bend & Klamath Falls. Any reccos would be appreciated. Cheers.
  2. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

GoodLife Brewing Company is a small under-the-radar place that is well worth a visit in addition to all the usual suspects esp. Boneyard. Deschutes give a great tour with generous sample tastes of their top beers i.e. Abyss '09
  3. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Goodlife makes terrible beer. If you don't think so, you need to have your head re-calibrated.

OP, The Creamery is the only thing worth visiting in K-Falls. In Bend, go to Deschutes Brewery for a tour as NWer stated. The pub is fun, has good food, and has a lot of pub-only beers. Hit Boneyard for some of the best IPAs you've never heard of, and likely some of the best IPAs on the west coast. Boneyard is a must.

10 Barrel is hip, but their beer is underwhelming. The food is great though, and there's always a ton of people milling about. As stated earlier, Goodlife is new and still working out how to make a beer that actually tastes good. Not worth visiting.

Bend Brewing Company has an old-school very Bend-like feel. I love that place, because I've been going there since they opened (as well as Deschutes.) Go there for a traditional brewery lunch, then walk over to Goody's for some amazing homemade caramel corn and soda fountain. Silver Moon brewing also has some good beers like Hoptagon seasonal.

Platypus Pub usually offers really good regional beer that you can't get elsewhere. A great bottle shop too, and definitely worth checking out. Jackson's Corner downtown is a great place for a sandwich and a beer.
  4. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

I haven't been impressed with everything I've had from them, but the Descender Dry Hopped Pale I had at their tasting room a couple months ago was solid.

As for other suggestions, check out The Blacksmith after 9pm for their late night happy hour. They have some awesome stuff on the menu like dungeness crab corn dogs, smoked mac and cheese with bacon, and kick ass fried green tomatoes. Plus, they have 10-12 taps with rotating stuff from most of the Bend breweries.
  5. NWer

My one and only experience with Goodlife was when I visited Bend last September. Happy coincidence my visit coincided with their release party for the Descender IPA. I was sufficiently impressed that I got a growler to go. That gave me a chance to experience it again under more subdued environment where I wasn't merely caught up in the moment.
    My review speaks for itself and I stand by it. Others seem to share my views as the reviews are more favorable as not even though there are only a few of them.

Bottom line, if you're adventurous enough, check it out for yourself. I'm confident that my tastes in beer are solid and my head doesn't need to be re-calibrated but of course jtmartino is entitled to his own opinion and I respect that.
    Tybarnett likes this.
  6. jtmartino

I've had 8 of their beers, and they're all sub-par. Especially considered what else is available. I didn't meant to insult you - I should've probably worded it differently! I was just trying to get my point across that there's much better beer (and things to do) in Bend than at Goodlife. Of course that's just my opinion, but it seems to be shared by a lot of people in Bend. I'm not proud to say they don't make good beer - I went to high school (in Bend) with their brewer. He's a super great guy with an awesome job, but as a critical beer drinker I don't think they're making great beer yet. Granted they're a newer operation, so I'll try again next time I'm in town.

I feel the same way about 10 Barrel. They are all buzz and hype, and they consistently make under-carbed beers with thin mouthfeel and a complete lack of multi-layered complexity. Most of their beers don't deliver, so I don't even go there anymore for the beer (just the great environment and restaurant!)

Maybe I'm jaded...having lived in the top 3 areas on the West Coast for beer (Bend, SD, SF) I have really high expectations. Don't let my drastic opinions keep you from trying everything that Bend has to offer - the best case scenario, I'm wrong and you love all the beer!
  7. NWer

Accepted. For what it's worth, I agree with your opinion of 10 Barrel. I wasn't terribly impressed either. And as for my opinion of Goodlife, it's a random sampling of one. Nothing definitive but my honest reflection at any rate.
  8. maltmaster420

I have a feeling that 10 Barrel will be cranking out some amazing beer in the coming months. They spent what I can only assume is a ton of money building a massive, state of the art brewery and hiring 3 of the most talented brewers in the nation. Give Shawn, Tonya, and Jerry some time to settle in and I'm sure they'll come up with beer that will knock your socks off.
  9. NWer

Good to hear. Looking forward to giving them another shot.
  10. jtmartino

I hope so! Good for them that they already have the hype and a fan base to help push their beer. And I think you meant Jimmy, who came from Deschutes.

They've got the talent...hopefully soon they can make the beer! And they're definitely still worth visiting while in town.
  11. maltmaster420

:oops:

Yes, yes I did.
  12. I agree.
  13. Thanks for the suggestions. I was planning on doing the Deschutes tour, Boneyard, catching a movie @ Old St. Francis School, Platypus Pub, and Klamath Brewing/Creamery. I'll make the 10 Barrel and Good Life lower on the priority list.
  14. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

I think a stop at 10 Barrel should really not be too low on your priority list. They make pretty solid beers in a nice atmosphere with decent food.
  15. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

It would be a mistake to visit Bend and not go to Bend Brewing Company. Also, you'll probably want to visit Deschutes Bond St Pub and Silver Moon. Also, if you're going up Rt. 97 a visit to Shasta Brewing in Weed, CA would make a good leg stretch stop.
  16. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Aficionado (230) Oregon Jun 23, 2004

Mia & Pia's in Klamath Falls is the place to go for local color. Rod Kucera is a fine brewer, too. Recommend Luscious Speed Schwarz and Flash Flood ESB.
  17. skourtis

skourtis Aficionado (135) Oregon Sep 1, 2006

I second the Mia and Pia's in Klamath Falls recommendation. My wife and I liked many of their beers over the offerings at Klamath Basin Brewing/Cremery. Both the breweries in Klamath are a bit inconsistent so try at your own risk.