1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bend trip..top 3 breweries to visit?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bosco123, Jan 11, 2013.

1. bosco123

bosco123 Aficionado (130) Oregon May 26, 2008

Hitting Bend next weekend and will research who's pouring what before I make my decision on which breweries to visit. Boneyard will happen but am undecided on the other few. Not really interested in Deschutes unless something spectacular is on tap. Any suggestions that the websites can't offer?

2. Boneyard is my #1, but since you've already mentioned it, here are three others.

1. Crux
    2. 10 Barrel
    3. Bend Brewing

bosco123 and flexabull like this.
  3. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (275) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

My wife and I went a couple weeks ago, and here are some thoughts from the breweries we made it to...

Boneyard offers flight and growlers to-go only.

10 Barrel was great all-around - we already want to go back sometime to try their pizza, which looked amazing.

Deschutes was decent overall, but the Super Jubel was one of my favorite beers from the weekend. Good food.

Crux was OK...they are definitely the dope spot in town right now, so the vibe was pure yuppie. The beers were hit & miss. We didn't eat there.

Bend Brewing...the few beers I tried were solid, albeit nothing game-changing. Didn't try the food.

Hope you have a great trip!

bosco123 and flexabull like this.
  4. If Bend has Ching Ching on tap, drink drink drink.

jtmartino and bosco123 like this.
  5. Boneyard - Might have the best beer in town.
    Bend - I love HopHead, other beers I've found to be hit and miss.
    GoodLife - Good beer, place is nothing special
    10 Barrel - Cool place, but I've always thought their beers were just average, good food though.

Haven't been to Crux, but I believe it's very close to Boneyard. Have fun, I'm envious.

bosco123 likes this.
  6. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Crux
    10 Barrel (for lunch/dinner)
    Ale Apothecary (make an appointment)

And MAKE SURE to get some Boneyard beers (especially RPM & Hop Venom) at any number of pubs around Bend.

flexabull and bosco123 like this.
  7. Crux
    Ale Apothecary (if you can get an appointment)
    Deschutes
    Boneyard

don't bother with 10 Barrel. The pizza is great while the beer, if they have any, isn't anything amazing. I expect more in Bend. The 2 bottle shops (Brew Shop/Platypus, and Broken Top Bottle Shop) are great places to pick up rare bottles as well. Both bottle shops have Ching Ching for purchase.

jtmartino likes this.
  8. bosco123

Super Jubel would definitely be the draw to get me to Deschutes. Crux sounds interesting and 10 Barrel will be a dinning destination. Silver moon? And the Ale Apocathery might be my one frivilous venture. (how does one make reservations?)Staying at the St. Francis. I really have no agenda but beer so...I can't wait to experience Bend and your recomendations. Any more thoughts would be welcome as I still have loads of time to make up my mind.

9. bosco123

Guess I need to try Ching Ching..eh?

jtmartino likes this.
  10. Don't do dinner at 10 Barrel. The Blacksmith is a nice higher end sit-down place, and Jackson's Corner is a great neighborhood sandwich/pizza spot. Both have fantastic taplists (Boneyard, Russian River, other OR locals, etc.).

11. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (540) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

Not sure why distantmantra says no dinner at 10 Barrel (except maybe due to a long wait for a table), but their brewpub is standard-setting in my book. Good beer, good food, and great atmosphere, especially in nice weather.

Brother Jon's has a good taplist, I like the Deschutes brewpub for solid if not mind-blowing food and drink options, and I'm still partial to another BA's (can't remember who) suggestion to have a drink at Bend Brewing overlooking the Mirror Pond. Make it Ching Ching.

12. exitmusic00

Replying to my own comment right quick to make sure it wasn't misconstrued...I fucking LOVE Boneyard!!! Just wanted to make sure OP knows they don't yet have a space where you can drink their luscious beers all night long until you're stuck on stoopid. Fucking love those guys though. :)

flexabull likes this.
  13. exitmusic00

Kinda surprised to see all the love for Crux, but that's just one drunk man's opinion. ;)

14. For a relatively new brewery (opened in 2012), Crux makes some pretty damn good beer. I definitely like them over 10 Barrel, Good Life, or BBC. Plus, their food rocks IMO

jtmartino likes this.
  15. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I've not been to Bend in a couple years, so I won't include breweries that have opened since I last visited. Boneyard, Bend Brewing (sitting on their deck and having a beer, while overlooking the Mirror Pond that Deschutes named my favorite Pale Ale after, is always one of my favorite beer moments) and Deschutes Bond Street Pub are my choices.

16. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (385) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

I think 10 Barrel is solid. Bend Brewing is way more hit or miss, for me. Deschutes is worth the trip. I've not been to Goodlife or Boneyard since they opened after my last trip there, but have had beers by both and am VERY impressed. Not impressed with Silver Moon at all.

17. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

If it's possible to delay your trip for a couple of weeks, Worthy Brewing is opening on February 4th. Other than that, you've already got a great thread full of suggestions, and the toughest part will be narrowing it down to 3 spots.

bosco123 likes this.
  18. I'm clearly biased due to knowing the Sidors, but I still like their beers aside from a couple that need work.

exitmusic00 likes this.
  19. guajolote

Yeah, the Boneyard taproom is worth stopping at if you have time, but you can get their beers at so many other places around town, it's not necessary if you're strapped for time.

As for 10 Barrel, I thought the food was pretty good. I mean, it's not going to get a Michelin star or anything, but it's good pizza & comfort food. Plus, even though I've never been blown away by Apocalypse, I thought it was pretty great on tap at the source. They also had a coffee stout on when I was there and I enjoyed it a lot. And I agree about the atmosphere. Definitely one of the better brewpub spaces in Bend, IMO.

exitmusic00 and bosco123 like this.
  20. 10 Barrel's food is good and I love their space, but you could also go to a really nice place and have better food and top-notch beer as well. Just sayin'.

bosco123 likes this.
  21. guajolote

Oh, I don't disagree. I'm just looking at it from the "pressed for time" standpoint. If you don't have time to hit a nicer restaurant or whatnot.

22. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

Wife and I are heading up in two weeks, so this thread has been helpful. Really hard to get a bead on how Crux actually is, the few beers I've had in PDX have been underwhelming. Ale Apoth is our #1 reason, but will probably hit 10bbl and Jackson's Corner.

I have to say find some of the recent 10Barrel stuff to be pretty impressive. Rye'm or Treason (hated the name, really liked the beer), DUB, Hop Rye'T (better than Ruthless Rye, or any other rye 6-pk IMO).

bosco123 and exitmusic00 like this.
  23. exitmusic00

I couldn't agree more about 10 Barrel...they've been cranking out some great beer!

And to clarify my comments on Crux, my intent wasn't to shit on them. A few of the beers were solid, but it felt like they still have some fine-tuning to do.

24. sharpski

This is pure speculation, but I think the reason no one's hyping Crux is that they have a lineup of standard beers which aren't blowing anyone's socks off, and haven't been open long enough for their barrel/cellar program to bear fruit. They've opened a really nice looking facility, but haven't released anything to the world outside Bend that would grab the community's attention. I think a lot of people are reserving judgement, but it's leaving a vacuum of excitement where many people thought Larry Sidor + well-financed new brewery = instant success.

exitmusic00 and beertunes like this.
  25. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Deschutes - They didn't hold back on the samples post tour - -09 Abyss anyone? (of course that was then. Don't know what they're offering lately)
    Boneyard - Fun - explosive mark on beer scene
    Good Life - I like their beers a lot. Small place that deserves more love than it seems to get sometimes IMO.
    Disclaimer: Haven't been to CRUX.

flexabull and bosco123 like this.
  26. No one is hyping Crux because it's pretty hard to find. As someone who has lived in Bend almost their entire life, I had never been on the road that Crux is on until they built it. I've been to every brewery in Bend, and will continue to frequent all of them while the "ale trail" is active, so I stay pretty up to date with what each brewery is offering. My views are opinion, obviously, but have also been derived from taking mulitple "beer heads" to these establishments and learning from their experience as well. I have never had a bad experience at Crux, and really like the beers that they offer. I have been disappointed SEVERAL times when going to 10 Barrel (pizza is great). Deschutes constantly has new beer and is very touristy. Boneyard hasn't put out a bad beer yet, but is a tasting room only. Silver Moon isn't that great, Cascade Lakes sucks, and Bend Brewing Company can be overlooked if short on time. I heard from Broken Top Bottle Shop that Ale Apothecary is currently out of beer, so now wouldn't be a great time to go up there. Broken Top Bottle Shop also has about 1.5 cases of Sahalie left (everywhere else is sold out).

jtmartino likes this.
  27. guajolote

I know some people who went to Apoth yesterday and got beer. Probably best to check with the brewery to be safe, but they definitely had some beer. Besides, you need to have an appointment to visit anyway, so it would be easy to find out before heading out there.

28. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I think Crux had just opened when I was in Bend....we didn't go, and now I'm really regretting that decision!!!

29. sharpski

They haven't spread their beer outside of the brewpub much, but it has been available without visiting their admittedly odd location. And judging from the crowds encountered there, plenty of people are getting the chance to try the beer at the brewpub too. Do you really think the location is preventing word of mouth from spreading, or that the word isn't spreading due to other reasons?

30. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Have you had their beer? It's f*cking excellent. Amazing balance, carbonation, mouthfeel, etc. on all their beers.

I don't know what's pouring at each brewery now, but if Deschutes still has Super Jubel it's worth the trek. Same concept as the Jubel 2010 - barrel aged in red wine barrels. Quite different from the normal Super Jubel stuff.

Personally, I think you should just hit as many as possible and make the wife drive you home.

31. My parents bring back 2-3 growlers of Crux beers for me every time they go down to visit. Next time I've got some, you're welcome to come over and try them.

jpbebeau likes this.
  32. bifrost17

I'd totally be down man! Do I see a bottle share in the future.....?

33. Sounds good. They're going down for Zwicklemania in mid-February, so I'll have growlers from Crux and Boneyard, plus whatever bottles (Bend, Double Mountain, Below Grade... and now Russian River... sniff sniff) they snag me at Newport Market shortly after that.

Jpbebeau is definitely on the list for the next one, too. I had to bag the last Crux (Flanders Red, Long Day IPA and The Belgian) tasting I invited him to as my kid got sick.

34. bifrost17

Awesome! My trading buddy in Chicago says he has a pretty stellar box lined up for me. I'm not sure what's gonna be in it (always a surprise) but I'm hoping for some Founders Imperial Stout and Bells Hopslam....and a very slight chance of Bells Black Note. I'd definitely be down to share some of those mid west treats with some local BA's. Keep me posted man!

35. Do you know anything about Zwicklemania? That's a 3 day weekend for me, and might be fun to make the drive if the roads/weather cooperates.

36. sharpski

Yeah, I have, and I'm psyched that you think they're f*cking excellent. I have a different opinion than you, which is that the 6 beers of theirs I've had were good but not f*cking excellent. I think they'll get better, so I'm reserving judgement, but based on my opinion I speculated as to why they're not the toast of the town as I thought they might be before they opened. Do you think they are getting the appropriate level of attention given Larry's resume, or do you have a different insight about why they're not getting that attention?

37. Zwicklemania is like an open house, where a lot of the Oregon breweries do tours most of the day and usually have some good things on tap. I was at Double Mountain last year and their tour was great; got to try some beer out of their vats and the info from the brewer was awesome. Also had great beer on tap and some snacks at the end of the tour.

Here is the website, but they haven't fully updated it for what the breweries are doing this year: http://oregonbeer.org/zwickelmania/

flexabull likes this.
  38. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

My main issue is that the only thing I head about Crux in the lead-up was the barrel program, which I was lead to believe was the CRUX of the project, so I was pretty excited about it. I haven't heard a hint about it since, though it could very well exist, and the two regular beers I've had here in PDX were meh. I'm an optimist, so I'm reserving judgement for year 2. Still, they could have some short term barrel blends out now, right?

39. Next time I go in I'll ask about the barrel projects, but they do have several barrels lined up in the brewing facility.... beer to come?

40. guajolote

They have had a Flanders red for a while. I had it when I was there in October. However, it didn't resemble a Flanders at all. No sourness whatsoever. A few people I know who've had it since then have said the same thing. Hopefully there will be some interesting barrel stuff coming though.

A friend shared a grumbler of their On the Fence NWPA with me couple weeks ago. It was by far the best beer I've had by them thus far. A really good "not quite" IPA.