1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bend trip..top 3 breweries to visit?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bosco123, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

I don't live in Bend, so I can't comment on the level of publicity they receive there. All I know is that out of all the new breweries in Bend in the last 8 years, they are second only to Boneyard. It seems as though they have a more refined system and execution of their beer, so I think they will surpass Boneyard in terms of style diversity very soon. It usually takes breweries a lot longer to make beer of that caliber - I'm looking forward to what they have in store for 2013. Hopefully it's more BA stuff given his performance in the 8 years at Deschutes.

I also have a soft spot for Bend Brewing. I've recommended people go there for a taste of Bend as it used to be - simple, good beer, great atmosphere. But beer geeks don't usually put it in their top 3 because only a few of their beers are standard-setting for the town.

2. I am sure part of this is due to the brewing capacity that Boneyard has at the moment. It seems that they are having a hard time keeping up with the demand for RPM and Hop Venom. I have a friend who went to the tap room a couple of months ago and they only had 3 beers available. Can't wait until they get their expansion and canning line in!

3. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

Yeah no complaints from me - if they only brew 4 or 5 different beers in total we'd all still be very happy :).

It's likely Crux will get into Belgian yeast-based beers and possibly sours before Boneyard. It's always good to have diversity!

4. Damn it Bend, why are you 4 1/2 hours away from me?!

I tasted one Crux beer at the Bend Brewfest this summer, it was ok. (A Hefe, admittedly a style I don't really care for) But I really wanted to cruise by there, just couldn't fit it in the schedule. Will definitely next time!

5. bosco123

bosco123 Aficionado (140) Oregon May 26, 2008

Well,we're back and here's the skinny.
    First stop was 10 barrel. Glasses of.. Pray 4 snow(excellent on tap),A scotch ale that was on nitro and Forgotten Frosty.(watery and just decent) Split a sanny with the wife...tastey. Wife had A couple of the sessions..whatever. Good vibe and good outdoor area. BTW 55 degrees both days.
    Hit Deschutes for dinner. Touristy...11 Abyss on tap but nothing else to impress. I like Portland's better.(no Jubel or Super for that matter)
    Stayed at the St. Francis,watched a movie and drank their whiskey and rum. Good try on their beers too.Red Riser IRA and the nitro ESB not bad. Great place to stay if you get the chance.(good band playing for free and breakfast was good but spendy)
    Next day was Boneyard, 6 beers on tap. Always solid, always good. Tasting room is funny small but cool. The Ghost pepper beer was the only one I hadn't had before and burned all the way to Crux.(5 min walk)
    Crux..Really liked it. Can see why the hipsters would congregate there. Nice space loads of beers tapped. Aramis IIPA,Snow Cave,Triskel IIPA,Saison,Flanders,The Belgian,and Sugar daddy on the taster.(cheated and had one extra) All solid with a Belgian influence. Dug the IIPA's. One more year of fine tuning...money. Go here.(Great view from the Tap room too)
    Side trip to Sun River here..Sun River Brews..skip em.
    Hit BBC next. Old and stale building. Seasonals were the way to go here. Outback X.. get a few bombers, dang good as was the Dopplebock. Hard to overlook the gloomy interior though.
    Broken Top Bottle shop and tap room next...nice space. Good local selections..And yes,they did have AA's bottle(25 clams) and even some Ching Ching. Stuff you'll have a hard time finding in Portland. Worthy, on a taster tap with loads of local pours. A good stop although expensive for me. Paid cash so the wife wouldn't know how much I spent. Muwahahah.
    Noi Thai for dinner..go there. Could not drink any more beer so, more McMenamins whiskey and soaking pool to end the day.
    Not enough time for Brother John's,Silver moon,Worthy and whatever else I missed.
    So..hard to pick but, Top three,Crux,10 Barrel and Boneyard.(for the beer,not the tasting room) All others will have to wait until next time as I'm sure there were a couple of gems lost in the haze. My wife was a trooper but did get "tap room cramps" more than once. Great stuff for a" smaller" town. Can't wait to go back!

6. 1. Boneyard
    2. .....Boneyard
    3. BONEYARD!!!!

7. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

WA does the same thing sort of. We don't call it that though. We just call it an open house and it runs just for one afternoon. Still, a lot of fun. http://www.washingtonbeer.com/open-house/ (shameful plug for my State. Done threadjacking now)

beefandbean22 likes this.