1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Benelux-Paris Honeymoon

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by bostonbeans, Jan 18, 2013.

1. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

Hey guys I just finished planning my honeymoon (Amsterdam, Brussels, Bruges, Paris). and I wanted to know if you guys could help me figure out an itinerary for each city. I saw all the great places in the "places" tab but what are your favorites? What beers should I try that I wont be able to try here in the US? also, What are truly the best places to go just to buy beer to bring back?

Any input would be gratefully appreciated!

Thank You so much in advance.

-Vin
  2. kscaldef

kscaldef Member

We did something similar for our honeymoon last year. How many days do you have for each city?
  3. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

Awesome! We're doing 1 night in Amsterdam, 2 nights in Brussels, 2 nights in Paris, 2 nights in Brugge, and finishing off with 3 nights in Amsterdam. How did you like it? btw
  4. digita7693

digita7693 Member

go to ghent, thats my top advice:)

If you want things to do in Paris, not just beer things, send me a msg and tell me what you are looking for; I lived there for a bit, and there is a cool BA living there that works at an wonderful beer shop.
  5. kscaldef

kscaldef Member

Wow, that's even more whirlwind than we did :)

Okay, so first off, skip doing beer things in Paris if you're only there for 2 days, particularly if you've never been before. You're on your honeymoon in Paris. Go to an amazing restaurant, have Champagne on top of the Eiffel Tower (buy tickets well in advance!), pick up some bread and cheese and wine and walk along the Senne and find a place to sit and have a picnic, go to museums (Orsay is less daunting than the Louvre), attach a lock to one of the bridges (bring one from home, we wasted a couple hours trying to find a store to buy one). If you must have beer, stop in at Cave a Bulles (digita7693 will get you a personal introduction ;)).

Brugge is a very small, very charming, very touristy town. Buy chocolates at Dumon. The town is nice, but probably won't occupy you for 2 days. I don't know if you're locked in on hotels, but the Hotel Pegasus-Recour in Poperinge is lovely, featuring just the sort of beds and bathtubs you'd like on your honeymoon, and it's just a couple miles from Westvleteren, St Bernardus, and De Struise. I also really enjoyed the tour at Rodenbach, which is nearby.

Stop at De Heeren in between Brugge and Brussels. Give them all your money. Drink walez. (I warned my wife in advance this would be the most expensive meal of our trip.)

In Brussels, I enjoyed both Moeder Lambic and A la Mort Subite. Some people don't like Moeder Lambic, YMMV, but we had a pleasant visit and drank some great beer. A la Mort Subite was charming and old-fashioned. We walked past Delirium and ran away suffering flashbacks of horrible college parties. Take the tour through Cantillon. If you have time, drive out to Beersel for 3F and others.

Hope this helps!
    bostonbeans likes this.
  6. digita7693

digita7693 Member

Pretty much agree with everything Kevin said.
    Add in a stop in Ghent.
    In Paris walk around La Marais, visit the Picasso museum, picnic in Jardin du Luxembourg and go to the nearby Foundation Cartier, museum of contemporary art. Orsay is far better than Louvre.
    The best pedestrian bridge, imo, is Passerelle des arts, take your lock here and sit down with a bottle of wine and some cheese and just enjoy the sunset. During the summer they have art exhibits out there sometimes which is great. Across from Notre Dame go to Shakespeare and Company, one of the coolest and most famous book stores in the world. Sacre Coeur is a must visit as well, stunning views of Paris.
  7. beerpirates

beerpirates Member

I'd say stay 1 more day in Paris or Brugge and skip 1 day in Amsterdam ,
    In Paris don't forget to visit monmartre , it's on top of a hill in the centre of Paris were all the painters are , very typical French , realy romantic
    For it the picnic it al depends on the time of the year that your going , i wouldn't do it these days ;)
    A boattrip on the senne is also nice
  8. digita7693

digita7693 Member

Wim, Montmartre is where Sacre Coeur is;) and I agree on adding a day in paris over a day in Amsterdam
  9. beerpirates

beerpirates Member

Tru , but montmartre is the area were all the painters / artists come togheter , Sacé-Coeur is the basiliek , there's much more to see in montmartre then only the Sacré-Coeur
  10. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

You Guys are Awesome!!! Thank you so much on all the great info! I wish I could cut back on Amsterdam, But Meg wants to stay an extra day there. I might try to maneuver a day somewhere else;) We still need to finalize some bookings, but unfortunately Paris is the only place we have already booked our hotel.

Do you guys think we should spend an extra day in Brugge or just keep it the way it is? I'm not going to lie, I've been wanting to go to De Heeren just to try these amazing beers...

Anyway, We need to plan all of this now so we can pay it off before we go out there, but we leave in May so the weather should be on our side. Although I will say this, I plan on having some Cantillon everywhere I go. I hate the fact that I need to trade just to get a bottle here because everyone flocks to get it... You guys have been nothing but Amazing, Once again Thank you so much

-Vini
  11. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

BTW, if we'd like to spend an extra day in Brussels just to go to De Heeren van Liedekercke, is there a train that takes us straight there?
  12. beerpirates

beerpirates Member

I've your 2 days in Brussel then i would try to spend 1 evening at kulminator in Antwerp ,
    It's open at 4 pm and is very easy to go to by train from Brussels
  13. Brabander

Brabander Member

Don't forget that this cool dude has also a very nice missus!

I would trade one day Brussels for Antwerps. The Kulminator is a must visit if you are into beer!

In Amsterdam there are lots of nice things to do, good bottleshops (Bierkoning) and beerbars (Arendsnest) and not to forget a very nice Brewery (De Prael) in the center of the city.

Thijs
  14. ventura78

ventura78 Member

15. Tnudish

Tnudish Member

All good info! I will be doing almost the same for our honeymoon in November. Probably going to do:

5 days in Paris
    4 days in Belgum
    4 days in Stockholm & Helsinki
  16. digita7693

digita7693 Member

I do not personally see the thrill of Academie de la biere, over priced, super touristy, Ill pass personally.
    Much rather go to La Caves a bulles, talk to a couple cool people, Simone(sp?) the owner and Brandon an American expat working there, and probably drink a couple beers with them. Bring something nice to share/trade, great place and great people!
    bostonbeans likes this.
  17. andrejes

andrejes Member

Amsterdam is cool place to stay!!! And for beers you some nice bars, as the "in de wilderman" and arendsnest.
    It's a beautiful city! And a must see for you don't forget this!!!

For a ip trade you can always send me a BM
  18. beerpirates

beerpirates Member

Says the dutchman ;)
    andrejes likes this.
  19. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

You guys have been too kind! So because you guys advised we made a few changes to our trip. We are now staying 3 nights in Brugge and just two nights in Amsterdam. We are also planning on heading up to antwerpen when we're in Brussels. I'm planning on checking out these places while in europe (please let me know if there is anything I should cut out or add). Also guys, we got a global credit card so we can use everywhere in europe, but how many of these places don't take credit cards? Once again thank you so much for all the great input.

-Vini

Amsterdam:
    Café 't Arendsnest
    Cafe In de Wildeman
    De Bierkoning
    Antwerpen
    Kulminator (I really hope we get to go here)
    Brussels
    Cantillon
    Chez Moeder Lambic (Fontainas)
    400 Bieres Artisanales / Beer Mania
    Délices Et Caprices
    In 't Spinnekopke (food)
    Paris
    Brewberry (maybe)
    La Cave à Bulles (100%)
    Académie De La Bière (Maybe)
    Brugge
    Evrywhere!
  20. digita7693

digita7693 Member

You left Ghent off that list;) And for near Brussels De Heeren van Liedekercke is a must!
  21. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

Meg doesn't want to treck out to Ghent, but she does want to go to Antwerpen (It was the trade off). I really want to go to De Heeren van Liedekercke but from what I've been hearing they haven't been too consistent on when they'll be open. I don't want to risk making plans to head out there and having it be closed...
  22. digita7693

digita7693 Member

You realize nothing is far in Belgium, Ghent is maybe 40 mins by train from Bruges, 30min drive.
    Also a trip to Sint Sixtis(Westvleteren) and De Struise, 3 miles away, is well worth it!
  23. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

You're right Don, it's not that big of a treck... alright, I'm going try to sell to Meg.
  24. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Member

you might want to lay down the law right of the bat.
    Credit Cards aren't accepted everywhere like in the US. ATM's are all over the place...
  25. ggaughan

ggaughan Member

If you ar looking for a cool restaurant in Amsterdam then check out this place, De Kas. Both my wife and I really enjoyed it. Great food and wine although not much on the beer side from what I remember.

http://www.restaurantdekas.nl
    bostonbeans likes this.
  26. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

Thank you, That looks great!
  27. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Member

They were closed when I was there in the fall, but I would kill to enjoy their sampling menu and one of their killer bottles.
    bostonbeans likes this.
  28. digita7693

digita7693 Member

Don't forget their awesome chocolates! Orval infused dark chocolate!
  29. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

Joe,
    If we make it there, believe me, you'll be getting something.
  30. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

Hey Guys! I just wanted to thank all of you for all the great ideas and pretty much map of my Honeymoon. We're actually going in a month which is pretty crazy. One last question just for strategy/Money purposes do any places take cards? I know europe is a Cash mainly area but do at least a few of these places take cards? Anyway, thank you so much for all the help.

Vini
  31. Looks like everyone's listed the best options for Paris, Brussels and the Dam, but left Bruges out!

While in Brugge the best bar is 't Brugs Beertje (the Bruges Bear), although De Kelk is also worth a look. It's a tiny city so getting around on foot is easy. More info here: http://www.brugsbeertje.be/index_en.htm

If you want to buy bottles in Bruges, check out De Bierboom for an original and well-priced selection (just a few doors along from De Kelk). Info: http://www.debierboom.be/

Perhaps someone else will chime in with more details for Bruges.

In my personal experience, using cards in Belgium is often OK but some places won't take them. Probably worth having enough cash on you just in case....

Enjoy your honeymoon!
    jfh likes this.
  32. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Member

YOU ARE AMAZING!

thanks you so much

Vini
  33. patto1ro

patto1ro Member

34. Morningstorm

Morningstorm Member

I did a brief write up about bars / shops in amsterdam, I'll just post it here:

Amsterdam has a big beershop near de Dam, it's called de Bierkoning. They have around 1200 beers on bottle, including lot's from America (not so interesting for you, especially for those prices), a lot from Scandinavia (amager, mikkeller, evil twin and so on). Down the stairs in a little corner with belgium sours, decently priced.

- Inde Wildeman, nice little pub, has a bit of everything, interesting things on tap like saison dupont dryhopped, gratzer from Jopen and some de Molen stuff.

- Beertemple. A bar that mainly focusses on beer from Amercia and Scandinivia. Prices are pretty decent in comparison to some bottles at de Bierkoning.

- Arendsnest. A pub that exclusively serves dutch beers. Stuff from upcoming breweries (De schans, De rooie dop, Pampus and so on) and great brewers like De Molen and Emelisse.

- Cafe Gollem, they serve a great range of belgium beers including a lot of belgium sours (if you're into that)

Hope that helps you out!