1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Berlin - 6 hour layover

Discussion in 'Germany' started by cu29, Jan 13, 2013.

1. cu29

cu29 Aficionado (215) Wisconsin Sep 26, 2005

I *may* fly through Berlin to get to Munich in May. Cheap airfare.....but a nearly 6 hour layover in Berlin. Is it worth leaving Tegel airport to search out some beer (and perhaps a sight or two) during the long layover? Where would I go? I've never been to Berlin.

Cheers!

Chris

2. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

Ah, my favorite city! Berlin is pretty awesome, but just understand that 6 hours is not very long for a visit. Airport shuttles run pretty frequently from Tegel to the Zoo, the Hauptbahnhof (main train station), and I think Alexanderplatz.

From the Zoo: You could kill time walking around the former West Berlin, I think there are some good pubs in that area although I'm not too familiar (I think Savignyplatz might have some recommended spots?). Or you could catch the Bus #100 from the Zoo to Alexanderplatz, going past many of the major sights along the way (sit on the top level if you can). It would be a very quick-and-dirty introduction Berlin.

From the Hauptbahnhof: You could walk to the Government Quarter, then to the Brandenburg Gate and down Unter Den Linden to the Museum Island. From there you could find the Hackesher Markt, where there is a Weihenstephaner restaurant with all of their beers on tap except for Korbinian and Vitus, which are in bottles. There is an U-Bahn stop at the Hackesher Markt which will get you back to the Hauptbahnhof.

From Alexanderplatz: I don't know what there is for good drinking around The Alex, but you could do the Bus #100 the opposite direction back to the Zoo, or walk back up Unter den Linden towards the Brandenburg Gate. You could also catch a U-Bahn to the Ostbahnhof and walk the 1 mile or so along the East Side Gallery, the colorful, well graffiti'd section of the Berlin wall. The U-Bahn from the Ostbahnhof can get you back to the Hauptbahnhof.

Please note, I don't know for sure how long these itineraries are, so be sure to check your watch! Also be sure to pick up a transit map and ask if there are any tracks that are under construction - always a distinct possibility in Berlin.

This link isn't working for me, but it might for you: http://www.fahrinfo-berlin.de/Liniennetz/index?language=en

Have fun!

boddhitree likes this.
  3. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Though I've lived in Germany off and on much of my life, I've never been to Berlin. However, in mid-February I'll be going to Berlin for a Saturday evening concert (Sigur Rós, though I wish I could see them in FFM), so who can give me the low-down on which pubs are best to visit for a one night stay?

So far in my search of BA posts, I've come up with
    1) Hops & Barley
    2) Brewbaker

Any other suggestions for a night on the town for beer?

4. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

Sadly, no. I've been several times over the past two years or so, but always as a tourist and always with family, so no nights out on the town for me, unfortunately. :(

5. Dang. Sigur Ros in Berlin? Awesome. I have missed them a couple of times in Asheville, NC -- a pretty good beer town in its own right. Everytime I go to Berlin I'm tied down in Kleinmachnow with the in-laws...at least they have a cellar full of fresh Rothaus Pils. Have fun!

6. We were in Berlin about 8 years back. Just north of Savignyplatz was a small stube named Dicke Wirtin, and it became our evening stop. We got good treatment there.

http://www.dicke-wirtin.de/

boddhitree likes this.
  7. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (555) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

6 hour layover is nothing. You might get that anyway without planning on it.

8. LBerges

LBerges Aficionado (160) Germany Feb 14, 2010

6 hours - that is time enough to get at least two good beers in Berlin.
    Do not go to downtown (=Mitte), it's a long way, the beer is overpriced, the bars are full of tourists.
    The district of Wedding is closer to the airport, and in Triftstraße you can find a bottle shop and a brewery.
    (15 min from Tegel with a taxi). Unfortunately they are not open all day long, so I cannot tell you if it fits your travel plan.

9. I really liked Berlin when I went there a few years ago, though I regret to say I was 17 and not into beer yet, plus it was a school trip. We stayed in and saw mostly the eastern part, so we went via Schonefeld not Tegel. Not sure about 6 hours but if you can, the historical sites are worth a look. We visited a stasi prison, checkpoint charlie, the Reichstag (at night, was awesome), a concentration camp just outside the city and a few other places, it was great and I hope to get back there at some point.

So beer-wise, all we did was go into the first pub we found which was an Irish themed one, and drank a few pints of Guinness.... Got a litre stein with a 1-litre can of Paulaner pils at the airport though, but I still remember standing in front of a fridge packed full of bottles but not knowing what to get, so just buying a single "Konigs-Pils".

10. cu29

Thanks for all the information.

I have now secured a flight for an almost unheard of $658.00 from Chicago to München, with a layover each way in Berlin.

On the way there it is only 2 hours.....so no quick tour of the city. But is there a place to grab a "local-ish" beer in Tegel........at 7:00am Berlin time?

On the way back to the US, I have an almost 18 hour layover beginning at 4:00pm. For me this is great! A little more time to see the city and to drink some beers.......

mjtierney2 likes this.
  11. There might be something in the duty-free/airport area

12. The Airport has a bar which will certainly have a local beer.

As for for more time in the city, I will post some thoughts plus some picture (why not?) and make it more general.

I would say skip Brewbaker, it's close to nothing of interest, the service is appalling and the beers are not very good.

mjternery2 has the right idea, although I would add Brauhaus Mitte to Alexanderplatz, they usually have 4 beers on offer: Pilsner, Dunkel, Hefeweisse and a seasonal, when I was there last I had the fest but they do a Zwickelbier, most of their stuff is unfiltered.
    The Hefeweisee was my favourite, the food is also good, service is some of the best I have experienced and they have English menus.

[​IMG]
    The Fest (I think)

[​IMG]
    The Hefeweisse.

In Alexanderplatz I would also check out the Food and Drink section in Galeria Kaufhof department store, you can see buy beer from all over the world and also check out the Braumanufactur stuff and maybe pick up a few well priced Teku glasses.

[​IMG]

If you make it to the Brandenburg gate there is a Hopfingerbrau between the gate the and Reichstag, worth a drop in if you are around there, they also have one at the Hauptbahnhof and Potsdamerplatz.

[​IMG]
    Zwickl

[​IMG]
    Menu

[​IMG]
    Weisse (at the Potsdamerplatz venue)

If you go to Weihenstphaner and end up trying a 3 different beers in 20 minutes then you may get lucky enough to be called a "beer hunter" by the staff.

[​IMG]
    Original Hell

[​IMG]
    Pilsner

[​IMG]
    Korbinian

The visit to Weihenstephaner was actually a detour on the way to another place, I was supposed to return to Weihenstephaner on the way back to try Infinium but I forgot! :oops:
    So close to Weihenstephaner you will find Brauhaus Lemke, a brewpub with good food, they do some more intersting beers here, hard for me to remember at this stage but they supposedly do a Kupfer, a bunch of other bocks and the usual pills and weisse.

[​IMG]
    Looks like the Pils.

If you look in a few Kaisers you may be luck enough to find some Stortebeker stuff .

[​IMG]

Obviously this is not comprehensive and I visited quite a lot more places than this, a Berliner Weisse is a must, try it on it's own to see the confusion on people's faces and try it with the syrups just because you can.
    It's often claimed that Berlin is not a great beer city but I would disagree because you can find Beer from all over and even though it's often standard and not ground breaking I really enjoy visiting the brauhaus, drinking the house beers and eating massive portions of food.

Hope this is off some interest to some, there is more on request!

13. jeebeel

jeebeel Aficionado (210) Texas Jun 17, 2003

Robert N - what a great, informative post. Thanks very much for taking time to do that. Cheers.

Robert_N likes this.
  14. cu29

Thanks for the beer tour, Robert_N! Good info. Feel free to add a couple more pics/stops.

15. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Is it perhaps cheaper to fly to Berlin? In 6hrs you can get from Berlin to Munich by train for about 40€ if you book in advance. One of my favorite cities too, I'd try to stay a day.

Cheers

cu29 likes this.
  16. Great pix and suggestions!
    Berlin certainly has come a long way since I last visited, which was Oktober, 1990, during reunification. Don't recall anything that stood out then. My one other trip was the summer of 1986, cold-war time... Only recall visiting a biergarten in East Berlin with my wife and have a few Berliner Weissbiers mit Schüss, then being abruptly told by the waiter that we were cut off.... Yikes!

17. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (420) Germany Mar 21, 2005

Dave, it's "Schuß", not "Schüss" :p
    And yeah, east german waiters were an odd bunch. They did not give a crap at all.

Bierman9 likes this.
  18. LBIsurf

LBIsurf Initiate (0) New Jersey Mar 17, 2009

I was in Berlin in September, and this was the only craft beer shop my friends and I could find. It was an awesome place, and we were actually lucky enough to be there for his monthly beer-tasting. It included 12 beers, snacks, and dinner! That cost €35 I think, but it was worth it. This guy probably has the best beer selection you'll find in the city. He has beers from all over the world, and a lot of stuff from really small German breweries that I had never heard of. http://www.berlinbiershop.com