Best age to drink NC Old Stock at?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by bilboTbaggins, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Looking for some opinions here. 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? I have a four pack and want to know when they are going to start falling off.

2. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (735) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Between 2 and 4 years is where I always liked them.

willandperry likes this.
  3. jedwards

jedwards Savant (340) California Feb 3, 2009

4-5 years is the magic age for me. Older than that and they still taste good (I intend to age a few bottles for 2+ decades to see how the oxidation treats them) but the body does seem to thin out a bit. I've consumed probably a case of '08 so far this winter and it's been fantastic.

4. We did a 2009+ vert a few months ago and wow, 2008, 2009 and 2010 were a thin mess....properly stored in a dark, 55F cellar.

5. sweemzander

sweemzander Advocate (510) Illinois Mar 26, 2009

This is definitely one of those things where personal taste comes into the picture.
    A few friends and I did a '07-'11 vertical I believe back in 2011/2012 and the consensus was varied. I really liked the '07 and '08, while my friends preferred the fresher vintages.

My best suggestion is this if you have a four pack. Drink one now, drink another a year from now, and another a year from then, etc to see what stage you like the beer best at.

bilboTbaggins and jedwards like this.
  6. RStang13

RStang13 Savant (300) New Jersey Jun 22, 2011

[​IMG]

This '08 was awesome, far better than fresh IMO but this is the oldest I've had

bilboTbaggins likes this.
  7. bushbeer75

bushbeer75 Savant (375) Michigan Aug 23, 2006

As has been mentioned, cellaring and amount of time is a subjective thing as it deals usually with your personal taste. With that said, I see the biggest improvement [for me of course] at about 3-4-years. However, Old Stock 2006 [13.25 abv] is drinking GREAT now!!!!!

8. Has anyone noticed a difference between tap and bottle with this one? Had it on tap last night and it seemed to not live up to the bottle. Just curious for thoughts or experiences. Thanks for all the input thus far guys.

9. Good advice, I was in the process of that however i became curious when my friend bought a four pack of '11 and it tasted like white grapes almost, and had an acidic finish. Very little malts and seemed off from my pack of '11

10. sweemzander

sweemzander Advocate (510) Illinois Mar 26, 2009

Strange. Not that I am an expert on vintages of this beer by any means but your description definitely does not sound like what the '11 vintage was like. . . bad bottle(s)?

11. did a 2002 through 2010 in 2010 and in my opinion the older the better!!!

12. Just drank an '11' last night (Thanks Marty). Tasted pretty good to me.

13. So, where does that put the 2009 Cellar Reserve Old Stock that I bought last month? Ready to drink?

14. Looks like most people are saying 4 to 5 years. So yeah, its probably pretty great right now. I had two 2011's from different cases, and they were drastically different. One was fantastic and the other seemed to be going bad, which i thought was unusual. However, i can't be certain they were both stored in ideal aging conditions. Luckily, yours was stored by NC themselves, so it should be about as ideal as it gets. I would be interested in you opinion on it when you do decide to open it.

15. Plenum

Plenum Aficionado (225) New Jersey Apr 29, 2009

I had a 2002 vintage in 2009 or 2010, and it was still drinking just fine. I love this beer fresh, and I love this beer with some age on it. I can't wait to see how the 750s that were released last year are doing in a decade or so. It's going to take a mightly amount of willpower to not open the two cases in the cellar...

This is a beer everyone who is cellaring and appreciates the style should buy at least one case of every year.

bilboTbaggins and jedwards like this.
  16. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (350) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

I'm sipping on a bottle from 2010 right now and it's doing great. Definitely could go another year but not sure if I'd let it go any more than that. Never had one older than this so I can't comment on anything older than my bottle, but don't be afraid to open 2010 bottles.

17. I need to do this one of these days. Old Stock has always been an intriguing beer to me.

18. Kreko7

Kreko7 Savant (315) California Mar 5, 2013

I had an '07 the other day and it was fantastic! I say the longer the better

19. 2009 was great last summer! I keep buying more to age more.

20. Drinking a 2010 right now and I agree it's drinking pretty good. I have a couple more that I'll save for a couple of years.