1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Bang for Your Buck?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Taking into account taste, cost per ounce, ABV and age sensitivity (if seasonal) what beer in your area gives you the best bang for your buck?

My vote goes to Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, delicious, 10%abv, good availability when in season, highly cellarable so you can stock up, and it cost $7.49 a four pack in my area (~.16c per oz)

Your vote? (when you respond please put price, size of pack/bottle)

*I understand many will think ABV shouldn't matter, but there are some of us that enjoy the buzz that comes associated with drinking beer so ABV would be considered in a purchase

Shagtastic, Willbfun, Zaphog and 13 others like this.
  2. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

First thing that came to my mind was Hop Stoopid, which I've seen for as low as $3.99.

Bone53, HighWine, dawg1969 and 7 others like this.
  3. airmike

airmike Aficionado (185) Iowa Apr 12, 2011

Summit Saga 6ers

4. Skull40

Skull40 Savant (250) Indiana Apr 1, 2010

I always thought Old Raspy qualified as a great bang for the buck. I would say FBS too.

5. Gotta go with Hoponius Union at 11 bucks a four-pak (16.9 oz bottles). Its what I get every time...

6. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Old Jubilation six pack. $6.99, 8.3%, excellent with some age.

John1985 likes this.
  7. <With all due respect to Colorado Bobs>
    VVV
    III
    TTT
    UUU
    SSS
    !!!

Only $2.50ish for a 500ml bottle- I frequently will just add a bottle to my overall purchase due to the price, and a lot of times it's the best thing I bought that day.;)

Willbfun, victory4me, moju and 6 others like this.
  8. Weyerbacher Insanity...

but what did you expect me to say ;)

9. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Case of Zombie Dust $35 :)

Cynic-ale, dawg1969, aasher and 12 others like this.
  10. Im with ya on Brooklyn BCS, hard to beat that for the price. Lagunitas has beers like Brown Shugga and Undercover Investigation Shut Down Ale that are close to 10% abv and about $10/sixer. Founders Dirty Bastard for about 10/sixer is pretty solid as well. And then theres always Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal stout, man thats tasty for $1/bottle.

njhopspop and Goldfishman like this.
  11. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

How about any Weinhestephaner offering for 2.50-2.99!!! Just awesome and so damn good. I am impressed you dropped the VVVVVVIIIIITTTTUUUSSSS 1st though.

Cheers!

TongoRad likes this.
  12. Spaten Optimator. I see it around here for $1.50 a bottle.

13. Hands down Torpedo. In my area it's $8.99 which is extremely cheap for a DIPA. Moreover, the beer kicks ass and, in my opinion, gets overlooked in the DIPA conversations because it is so easil accesible.

MilkManX, JonBeer, kingofhop and 9 others like this.
  14. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

North Coast Pranqster - 4 pack 7.6%abv for under $8. Agreed on Brooklyn BCS. Most of New Glarus' beers are a great deal @ $8 a six-pack and $10 a 4-pack. Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout is a pretty good deal too, 8.1% abv for ~$4.50 around here.

15. I thought troegs Flying mouflan at 6.99 a bomber for a 9.3 abv was a very good value and a great cellaring beer

shutyourface and mtalley999 like this.
  16. Old Rasputin $6.99 a 4 pack
    Lagunitas Maximus $8.99 a 6 pack

I initially did not like Maximus, just this last year I decided to revisit it when I spotted a really fresh 6 pack. I'm glad I did, I now buy it just about anytime I see fresh ones, it's certainly my go to DIPA.

Brunite likes this.
  17. In Canada, $5 bombers of La Fin du Monde and $8 Hop Stoopid.

luwak and mcrago like this.
  18. Brew Works' Rude Elf. $3 a bottle, $10 a 4 pack for a 10.5% abv ass kicker. I dislike it fresh, but a good investment for future years.

Also Lakefront Holiday Lager. $1.80 a bottle, $9 a sixer. 11% abv.

19. Any Lagunitas bombers for $4.99-5.99, Stone bombers are a pretty good deal too, around $7 in my area.

dawg1969, luwak and dachshunddude86 like this.
  20. Well there are lot of good deals out there if you just look for them
    recently I got Ballast point victory at sea 22oz for $3.99 at 10%abv that is some bang for your buck
    but a normal good deal is the Stone IRS 22oz at 10.5% abv is normal price of $5.99
    i still love that ballast point at that price too bad they only had 2 bottles

Gregfalone likes this.
  21. arintheelder

arintheelder Zealot (75) California Nov 14, 2008

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout..9.2 abv 22oz bottle usually under $5..wish it was yearround though.

dawg1969 and luwak like this.
  22. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (330) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Narwhal has been my most recent bang for the buck beer $2.30 12oz bottle In the summer it is Pike's Monks Uncle Tripel $3.99 for a 9% bomber

checktherhyme likes this.
  23. Zwyiec Porter... $2 for a 9.5% ABV Baltic Porter.

And for the holiday season, Trader Joe's Vintage Ale is unbeatable. $4.99 for a top quality Unibroue BSDA.

24. Heady Topper. $3 for a 16oz can.

Goldfishman and getinked like this.
  25. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Hop stupid, 4.50 bomber.
    Cappucino Stout, 4.50 bomber
    Lil sumthin wild, 4.50 bomber
    Wookey Jack, 6.99 bomber
    Vitus, 2.99 350ml
    Zombie dust, 8$ six packs at the brewery... 16 dollar six packs anywhere in the city. Scumbags.
    Expedition Stout, 15.99 six pack
    Bottle of Oude tart Vinegar nastyness, 20 frigging dollars. BLECH.

dawg1969 likes this.
  26. jaybags

jaybags Savant (270) Michigan Mar 16, 2012

otto's double d. 9.2 abv, 6 pack for 10.99. great beer too

27. Narragansett Porter pounders (winter seasonal). 7% and very flavorful. A case usually sells for about $33 here, so that's about $1.38 per 16oz. can, or 8.6¢/oz.

Goldfishman and Dools9 like this.
  28. gshak

gshak Advocate (500) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Rodenbach Grand Cru for $8.99 a 750ml....not your typical value beer, but for a world-class flemish red brown ale aged for 1-3 years, I just don't see anything comparable (for that style)...

29. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (300) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

brooklyn's monster ale is probably the best bang for your buck english barleywine $7.99/4 pack

coronajm likes this.
  30. Hanzo

That has a slight edge in ABV over BCS, but IMO BCS is the much better tasting beer, not that Monster is terrible.

31. Ugh. Seeing some of these prices kills me. $6 for Raspy?! I found that for $9 outside of Boston and I was amazed.

To your point OP, Black Chocolate Stout is probably what I'd go with. But a 12 pack of Torpedo for $12.99 is tough to beat. Or Olde English 800, depending on my state of employment.

SortaAmbivalent likes this.
  32. Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye (8%) bomber for $5

33. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

For me Torpedo, but I don't understand why ABV should be part of the equation. I really don't.*

* Just read the footnote to the OP. So never mind.

SortaAmbivalent likes this.
  34. Hanzo

Beer is an alcohol delivery device, now it may not be intended as that if you are sitting down with a new beer analyzing it for a review or whatever, but if you are grabbing beer for a party or something where you would like to get a nice buzz going I feel ABV is relevant to overall value. I put taste as a factor so people couldn't just say "grab a $5 liter of Vodka if you just want to get drunk".

35. I REALLY love that beer, wish it was available here

36. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I'd say my glass is, technically speaking, the actual delivery device. I guess my point is, we all know that beer contains alcohol, and that some level of intoxication—from a light buzz to blacked out—is an inherent result of the consumption of beer. Even a 12oz bottle of 5% beer has a very moderate effect. Personally I never, ever buy beer based on how much alcohol it contains—with the exception that I might not buy a beer if the ABV is above a certain level. So it's literally not a factor for me in terms of "bang for buck."

victory4me likes this.
  37. You know, I just thought of all the "best beer under 5%" threads, nobody says "ABV shouldn't matter"
    Simply put, buzz, or lack thereof, definitely matters depending on situation.

38. Hop stoopid and third voyage.

39. acelin

acelin Savant (300) Kansas Feb 14, 2009

I've seen Boulevard Pilsner for 5.29 a six pack. Wish I had bought more at the time.

40. It's worth noting that the ABV plays into the value proposition more than just as a means of catching a buzz. A higher ABV beverage requires more fermentable sugars which generally requires more of a grain bill and corresponding cost. So while a sixer of a quality pale ale or lager might be cheaper than a four pack of some heavy RIS, the heavy RIS might be the better value on a price per gravity calculus.

Quafftastic and coronajm like this.