1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Bang for Your Buck?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Resuin

Resuin Champion (795) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

SN Bigfoot is a great deal, around $8.99 for a six-pack, great right away and great in the cellar.

victory4me and SortaAmbivalent like this.
  2. And my favorite best bang for the buck is whatever homebrew I'm making. My barrel aged RIS comes out to a buck a bottle, which is a steal relative to the cost of the four pack at the local bottle shop.

Although, it is worth noting that I don't include labor costs in this calculation. But it's a labor of love so I don't see the need to.

3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

So have you ever had a beer, any beer, that, no matter how much you drank, had absolutely no effect on you?
    Maybe it's just me, but I've literally never experienced a situation where I felt like I wasn't getting drunk enough.

4. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Rayon Vert is an amazing value.

JBogan likes this.
  5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Point taken. But if we're going to go to that level of detail to determine the value we're getting, I guess we should also consider how far away the beer was brewed. Especially given current energy prices, it costs significantly more money to get glass bottles full of perishable, temperature-sensitive liquid halfway around the world than it does to pick up a 6-pack at your local brewery.

6. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (415) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

I couldn't agree more.

7. LMT

LMT Savant (330) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I walked out of Total Wine with yet another 4 pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout yesterday for $7.99 and was thinking the same exact thing! That and a 12-pack of SN Celebration for $15.99 (not cellarable, but still a tremendous value).

Every year I try a few seasonals I haven't had before, only to go back to these two consistently. Yeah, I'll keep trying different seasonals at all times of the year, but it's always nice to have the "reliables."

8. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

Picked up a six pack of Full Sail Wassail 7% seasonal for $4.99 a few weeks ago. At around 83 cents per 12oz bottle, a very satisfying purchase.

Falcone likes this.
  9. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Lagunitas has quite a few, brown shugga 9.99 a sixer.

Goldfishman likes this.
  10. It is worth noting that a lot of "imported" beer (at least the major marketshare leaders, not really the ones that likely to be brought up in this thread) is actually brewed domestically by contractual arrangement with American brewers (BMC). I don't believe Weihenstephaner or any of the Belgians fall into this, but that is why things like Heineken, Guiness, et al can compete with domestic beers in cost.

Although my point wasn't to calculate overall costs of production, only to get to the idea of value per ABV point. All of the overhead costs associated with a product (marketing, transport, etc.) don't figure into the calculus I propose. I just suggested that while a beer with 5% ABV may be less than a beer with 9% ABV, the cost per ABV may be roughly equal (and think of it with two such beers by the same brewer, as in Dale's Pale vs. Ten Fidy), but the cost per unit of ABV might be comparable.

11. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

One of the best 'bang for your buck' brews IMHO (and I just picked up a sixer of this last night to reinforce this) is Flying Dog's Raging Bitch Belgian IPA. While there are definitely better BIPA's out there, at $10.50 a six-pack, you can't beat it for the great hop and Belgian yeast presence, plus it doesn't hurt that it clocks in at 8.3% abv, so it's ideal to bring to a party (which I'm doing tonight)!

12. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (315) California Nov 13, 2012

Big Daddy IPA bomber for 3.99
    Pretty much any Firestone sixer which range from 6.99-9.99

13. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I would say Michelle Jenneke if this whole Olympian prostitute thing catches on....oh wait you meant beer. In that case Central Waters Satin Solstice 6 pack for 7 or 8 bucks. Really solid brew and cellarable although I was never able to keep it that long.

BrownAleMale and 1Sundown2C like this.
  14. DNICE555

DNICE555 Savant (485) Connecticut Aug 13, 2008

Hop Stoopid for bottles. Growler of Ghandi bot for tap beer. 19 bucks for a 2L (67.628 ounce) stone issued growler of 8.8 percent Heaven ... I'll take it!

15. BryanK

BryanK Savant (275) New York Nov 27, 2010

Hop stoopid is $8 a bomber in Canada? thats insane. $4.50 range where i live here in Buffalo

16. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

ISO: Growler of Ghandi Bot FT: My Soul

17. New Belgium Trippel sixer is 6.99 at Total Wine and the ABV is about 8.5%. It's not a true trippel in my estimation but it's a cool beer nonetheless. A pint of Vitus is 2.99 also at the Total Wine and you're not going to find a better deal on a World Class brew IMO.:D

18. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Advocate (505) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

You mean for $15.00 :p

19. IKR

IKR Savant (310) California May 25, 2010

Mission Street Anniversary Ales sold at Trader Joes. I paid $3 for a 22 oz bottle (2011 Vintage). $0.14/oz @ 8.5% ABV. Tastes good and especially considering the Brewery that makes it, a steal.

Angst and highdesertdrinker like this.
  20. Dude, your Av rocks.......literally!

21. IKR

IKR Savant (310) California May 25, 2010

Thanks, your good taste in music shows!

22. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

I'll add a +1 for Trader Joe's Vintage, $4.99 for a 750ml, 9% ABV, brewed by Unibroue.

For my area, I'd say, Flying Dog Raging Bitch, $8.99/sixer, is great bang for the buck. I could drink a sixer of Raging Bitch. Not sure if I could drink the 4/6 pack of the old ales/barleywines mentioned earlier....

23. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

24. DNICE555

DNICE555 Savant (485) Connecticut Aug 13, 2008

yeah I only brought one growler... 15 for just the Ghandi if you bring your growler... even better!

25. jettjon

jettjon Savant (455) Florida Jun 3, 2005

I 2nd Torpedo when it's on sale (like it is now, woot!), although most Oskar Blues products are a great value, too. If you enjoy Scotch Ale, Old Chubb can usually be had for a good price.

26. Trader Joes Vintage Ale
    Almost anything Sierra Nevada
    Almost anything from Lagunitas
    North Coast Old Rasputin

27. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Deschutes's Red Chair...sixer for $6.99.

kojevergas likes this.
  28. CW BBS

Mealhouse likes this.
  29. joakley

joakley Zealot (85) North Carolina Aug 17, 2009

Torpedo and celebration 13.00 per 12 pack. Hell of a deal.

SortaAmbivalent likes this.
  30. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (415) Florida Jun 17, 2005

Best bang for the buck? Sierra Nevada's year round stuff is tough to beat at $12.99/12 in my area. What else can I say except I love SN for maintaining a high level of quality while keeping prices about as low as anyone who brews quality beer.

I also agree with the OP about BCS. Damn good beer at a very reasonable price.

Racer 5 at $4.99 a bomber is also a staple in my fridge.

chuckstout and SortaAmbivalent like this.
  31. Ma

32. Potemkin

Potemkin Aspirant (35) California Dec 21, 2012

Haven't had it in a while before tonight, but Stone IPA bombers at $3.99 is a pretty nice deal.

33. Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout for $3.99 a bottle is my absolute best bang for the buck, followed by Bear Republic for $4.29 and Lagunitas Imperial Stout for $4.99 a bottle.

Angst likes this.
  34. Victory Helios, A 22oz bottle i can pick up for 3.99$. Great flavorful saision at 7.5%. Lots of hops, very floral, and easy to drink. This years celebration has been a great deal, 13$ a 12-pack, might be thee best deal.

35. Bearing in mind that beer in Alberta is ridiculously expensive there is one brew that hits that sweet spot of cost, volume, alcohol, and deliciousness. Peche Mortel imperial stout from Quebec's Dieu du Ciel brewing. For $20 you get a six pack of delicious imperial stout clocking in at 9.5% abv.

36. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

I have to laugh when people list bombers as a good deal. Even a $2.99 bomber is the same price per oz. as a 9.99 6pk! Torpedo 12pks go on sale for $10.99!!! No bomber can touch that value.

elgiacomo likes this.
  37. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Alaskan Amber. Guinness Foreign Export. John Martin Guinness (for Europeans). New Belgium Abbey. Founders Breakfast Stout. Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. Allagash White. Old Stockyard (Trader Joe's).

I wish I knew all the prices and sizes. I know Alaskan Amber can be found damn near anywhere for $9.99 or better per 6 pack. Foreign export is just over 2 quid per bottle in the west of Ireland. John Martin is right around there per bottle on the continent. Founders comes in 4 packs methinks. The other three I'm not sure about.

38. Old Forge IPA $10.99 for a 16oz sixer cans. Pale ale is $9.99. My new go to regular.

Enjoy

39. Has to be Gin. Handle of Seagrams Extra Dry for 17.00. That's a bang for your buck and this post is proof of such.

40. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Right now... HE'BREW Sweet Sixteen @ $7.99. 16% ABV, delicious, and available everywhere around town. One bottle can last me 3 days with a wine top. With the ABV/style (American Strong Ale) it'll store indefinitely.

fujindemon74 likes this.