1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Bang for Your Buck?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Garrettshu

Garrettshu Aficionado (155) Texas Jun 1, 2013

North Coast's Old Rasputin
    Avery's The Reverend

2. I would have to agree. Great price for a very solid beer. Also, left over Brooklyn Monster B-Wine is around 7 bucks per 4 pack at my local store. And yes, by bang I figured you may have meant buzz! Cheers!

3. 6 pack of Lagunita's IPA. Sometimes they go for $8 at Bevmo. Solid IPA especially if fresh!!!

4. 4 pack of GreenFlash double stout. Average price is $8. At 8.8% each this flavorful stout will not let u down
    It reminds me of Founders Breakfast stout .

5. bebbcorp

bebbcorp Aficionado (225) Kansas Mar 6, 2010

Great Divide's new Big Show mixed twelve pack. Three Hercules imperial ipa, three Yeti imperial stout, three hades belgian strong pale ale, and three Hibernation old ale, all for $21.95. The Hercules and Yeti four packs are normally $13.01 and the others are $10 a sixer. Unbelievable value and beer. Thanks Great Divide, I love you.

6. SI Torpedo Extra IPA - $7.49 six-pack bottles

7. It must have already been said but Jacks Abby Hoponius Union - 4 packs for $9.99 is a steal. Lagunitas Sucks 6ers also at $9.99 was robbery.

8. plaid75

plaid75 Advocate (740) New York Jan 13, 2005

BCS stood out as a great deal when it came in 6 packs.

9. Lagunitas Undercover Shutdown is ~$10/6-pack and 9.6% abv.

10. In LA maybe 3-4 years ago the liquor store by me sold Stone Smoked Porter in the 22 oz. bomber for $3.50. Haven't found a deal as good yet!

11. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Savant (425) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

and still one of the most underrated beers out there! A must try for anyone that enjoys scotch ales

lucasj82 likes this.
  12. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

These prices people are quoting are amazing. Indiana blows for beer prices. They grease you up and aim for penetration in Indy. Want to pay 11.99 for a 4 pack of pale or 10.99 for a four pack of cream ale? We've got it.

lucasj82 likes this.
  13. Also,

Hop Abomination from Dry Dock Brewing in Aurora, CO

I can get it for 6.99 a six pack of cans for a 6.5% IPA

14. Possumjenkins99

Possumjenkins99 Savant (250) Ohio Jul 15, 2013

Sierra nevada torpedo extra ipa

15. It's $4.50 around here. Impossible to beat, both price and quality.

16. How has Cuvée René not been mentioned yet? Sure, I don't think it the best Gueuze, but in proportion to what it costs it's stellar.

17. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (330) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

Yeah pretty much all of these surprise me. Parabola a better deal than Old Rasputin or Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout? Central Waters BBB a better deal than Sierra Nevada Bigfoot? Saison Brett a better deal than Hennepin, Sofie, and Colette? Hopslam a better deal than Lagunitas Sucks or New Belgium Rampant?

I mean, I know you are taking into account the ratings, but Hopslam costs twice as much as Sucks and Rampant yet doesn't score twice as high, Parabola costs almost twice as much as Rasputin and Brooklyn BCS but doesn't score nearly twice as high, Saison Brett is twice as much as Sofie and more than twice as much as Hennepin and Colette, etc......

18. Rampant isn't considered a bargain....
    It's pretty much garbage in my eyes, ABV be dammed.

19. Dupage25

I was simply pointing out widely-available DIPA's that are affordable, not commenting on the quality. Hopslam is $20+ a sixer, which isn't remotely "affordable."

20. Pete811

Pete811 Aficionado (195) Michigan May 13, 2013

I very much agree, it does say that this is a seasonal on their site, but recently i'm seeing it around a lot, when a couple months ago it was pretty hard to find.

BlastBeats likes this.
  21. 12.99 12 packs of SN torpedo. Or Harpoon IPA, one of my favorite year 'rounders. Plus deposit.

22. Dupage25

I have absolutely no idea where you people can find 12 packs of craft beer for anything less than $15. Hell, Sam Adams 12 packs are like $20 where I live now.

23. I have seen many Hopslam buyers say 14.99-17.99

20+ would seem excessive.
    Can't comment as its not in my distro.

24. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Hop Notch IPA by Unita. 6.99 per 6 pack. 7.2 % ABV TW&M lets you use a 1 dollar off coupon on that. ;)

25. Dupage25

$20 is standard Midwest pricing, I've seen it for $25 out east and passed. If it was as low as $14.99 anywhere I can't imagine it ever getting to the shelf, stores would have to keep it in the backroom for people to ask for it.

26. $0.99 hoppin frog pumpkin bomber

27. JonBeer

JonBeer Aficionado (115) Georgia Feb 1, 2011

agreed... Torpedo is my go to everyday, so good.

28. JonBeer

JonBeer Aficionado (115) Georgia Feb 1, 2011

Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter... May be the best smoked porter in the world for $4.99 per 750ml in Nashville.

29. sea hag in local store for $8.99/ 6 pack down from $9.99. great value.

30. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Schlafly 12 packs (Dry Hopped APA is one of my go-to beers) are often $11.99 a 12 pack at our local grocery store. They also have 12 packs of their Heffeweizen (actually an American Wheat), Pale Ale, and a mixed 12 that has Pale Ale, Heffe, and Dry Hopped APA.

12 packs of Ranger IPA for $12.99-$13.99

Hop Stoopid bombers at $3.79

Brooklyn BCS at $7.99 a 4pk in Chicagoland

Ska Modus Hoperandi at $7.99 a sixer

Stone IRS at $5.99 A bomber.

These are a few of my favorite things.

31. You say that yet your based in Saskatchewan ....
    My referencing is from Hoplsam forum pricing questions, and what people posted in Hopslam forums. I believe you are getting a bit of gouge at $25. Others would agree.

32. Dupage25

I'm not actually in Canada.;)

Unless we're talking Michigan I just can't figure out where people would be getting it that low. The obvious places in Iowa and Illinois always seemed to have it for around $20, and in Illinois' case the obvious places are usually the cheapest. $25 is indeed a bit much but we're talking D.C. here when I say east coast, never been anywhere else on the coast during Hopslam season. D.C. prices tend to vary a lot. I've seen Allagash White four-packs as low as $10 but as high as $16......

33. Oh I feel you. The method definitely doesn't pass the face validity test at all. Here's the breakdown on how these things were pooped out.

We'll take Parabola as the highest scoring RIS. Generally I can expect to get a bomber of that for around $16. At 22 ounces, it's somewhere close to 2 beers in the container for something near $8 per "beer." It scores at 100 (+11 from style median). For comparison, Old Rasputin is a 4 pack I can get for around $9 (about $2.25 per) and it scores at 96 (+7). In isolation, this still doesn't look like a great tradeoff. Like 6 bucks more per beer and a 4 point boost in BA score.

The thing that makes Parabola come up with a higher score is the distribution of other beers that were entered into the regression. Of the 26 locally available RIS's that I tossed into the equation, Parabola had the highest score by 3 points (several 97s on the list but no others that are higher). The lowest on the list was a 90 (nothing below-median was included). Meanwhile, prices ranged from $2/per to $12.50/per. So what's happening is that Parabola has a 3 point advantage over every other beer on the list (on a 10 point scale) while an $8/per price tag is sort of high-middle of the pack. When you run a regression, Parabola's residual is the highest positive-end score of the bunch.

This is pretty much the same reason Zombie Dust scores the highest – at a score of 100 in a style where the median beer is an 83 (i.e., +17), it would take a HELL of a high price tag not to be considered a hugely “good deal” on this metric.

Obvious problems abound here:
    - Changes in price per beer are extremely apparent to the customer, whereas changes in BA score are much less so (as well as much more subjective). While a 3 advantage for Parabola is significant on the scale selected, it’s likely near irrelevant on a wider scale.
    - Beers selected are limited to Illinois bottle distribution only, which limits the sample size and applicability of the results. And without something like a master list of beer prices (if anyone is sitting on a craft beer MSRP database, hit me up) non-local beers would be sort of hard to price anyway.
    - Beers selected are above-median for style only, which really inflates the impact of BA score because about half of the beers in a style aren’t being considered (meanwhile the price-per-beer range is probably pretty representative as-is).

So I suppose I should have mentioned even more directly that one should take my estimates with a very large grain of salt. I mostly use it to get a very rough at-a-glance estimate of price/quality. Especially when a beer is on the opposite end of the spectrum (expensive given its score). Given enough time, though, I hope to develop even better estimates.

34. Petrus Aged Pale Ale or Cuvee Renee

35. simonpeter

simonpeter Disciple (70) Wisconsin Mar 31, 2011

Central Waters-Satin Solstice Imperial Stout or $5 bombers of their 8.5% coffee stout.

36. The fine state of Massachusetts. One of the Best beer states in the country. And why is it so hard to get Lot 40, Pike Creek, or some of the fine Canadian whisky here. Keeping it for your 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor skiing.:D