Best beer bar experience ever!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JoeyDankNug, Feb 19, 2013.

1. So I'm on a short vaca with the fam in dc and I want to goto churchkey,which is conveniently located about 10 min walk from hotel.so I go today around 4.i walk up to a very shady dark smelly place that is packed.why all the people at 4 on a Monday?HOPSLAM on CASK!!!!i had no idea.i walked into a bells event!the cask only lasted about half hour or so but I had a glass of that a glass of the oracle and a palate wrecker!hopslam was only 1 on cask but draft for the other 2!then I had to leave because my sister couldn't take it anymore....I tried to keep her interested with an allagash white but she wasn't feelin it.....if I wasn't into beer that much I would have left to.the place is shitty,but the beer list was crazy today.oh I forgot I also had a bells batch 9000 on Draft.i knew this place had a great tap list going in but never expected that.

2. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

Looks like a good, unexpected find, but please visit me more often! -space bar and capital letter

3. Churchkey? Shitty? Compared to...

4. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Leroy's in Montgomery, AL (believe it or not). They have about 400 beers available but none stay there too long. Price is fair and the atmosphere is low-key.

5. Churchkey is an amazing bar. I cant believe you thought it was shitty or smelly. The Bier Barron I would believe, but not churchkey.

sprucetip and NickyDee21 like this.
  6. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I drove 2 1/2 hrs for BCBCS on tap recently.

Twice.

dar482 likes this.
  7. took my wife to The Heorot in Muncie, In. a few years ago. drank a bunch of incredible beers as well as some shitty ones (Bells Batch 9000 drain pour city). chatted up the bartender hoping to get on his good side so i could see the legendary basement i've always heard about. shit worked and i was brought downstairs to a shrine of boners. he said everything was for sale if the price was right. ended up buying several bottles of 2002 World Wide Stout, several vintage Cantillons and a case of 3 Floyds Alpha Kongs which stopped being sold long ago. don't know how i drove as far as i did afterwards. not proud of the decision to drive but we made it. i don't know. i always look back on the night and smile

BDEE, Tiburon, mcrago and 4 others like this.
  8. Saw this on Facebook. I checked out Max's Taphouse in Baltimore yesterday and was just in awe. Definitely replaced Churchkey's as my new favorite place. Plus, got to finally have some Cantillon.

9. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Been there once, I wish I could go everyday!!

10. dperga

dperga Zealot (85) California Apr 10, 2010

Getting buybacks at Toronado San Francisco. I must of been doing something amazling right.

11. I went to college at Ball State in Muncie and got my name on the bar at the heorot, I had no idea I could buy beers from their cellar...headed there this weekend and I'm gonna have to have a talk with my bartender buddies!

NooseJustice likes this.
  12. Yeah, dude. He has kegs, barrels and cases of all kinds of things i guess he's come across in his travels. i saw a keg of Thomas Hardy's ale from '93 or '94 down there and was floored. he said the owner will tap a keg of something crazy rare and charge $3.50 a pint for the helluva it. such an awesome place. we're only 45 minutes away but we don't go much because i can't drink responsibly there. good luck getting down there. i've been down 3 times total and spent at least $200 each time not including the tab

13. Hamilton's Tap in San Diego. It has 30 or so taps, a HUGE selection of bottles, is dark - "old schoolish", friendly, pet friendly, and just a nice place to sit and have some great micro/craft brews, and talk to who ever is next to you. Whenever I'm over that way, I HAVE to stop by. (I also like Small Bar in San Diego on Park Blvd.)

sprucetip and mecmd like this.
  14. Yeah, it's an amazing place, definitively what I miss most about living in Muncie. I got Stone Vertical Epic 06.06.06-11.11.11 there two weeks ago for $12 a bottle...

Stan, the owner is quite the guy. He brings his wolf hybrids in every once in a while. If you've ever seen a 6er of Upland's Ard Ri the label is him standing with his wolves in the second floor of the bar.

15. Ed5388

Ed5388 Aspirant (30) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Barcade Jersey City NJ! If your ever in the area check it out!!

regularjohn likes this.
  16. been there before they usually have a pretty awesome tap selection

i'd also say my top top bar is coppermine i love that pub, and the shepherd & the knucklehead pub is an awesome spot for NJ since they have about 79 beers on tap right now !

17. BenAdvocate

BenAdvocate Sales Manager (180) Massachusetts Jul 16, 2009 Staff Member

Max's Tap house in Baltimore is the best beer bar I have ever been to.

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  18. p90beer

p90beer Aficionado (125) Delaware Jan 10, 2011

I'll give you some out of way places - El Bait Shop in Des Moines (>100 taps with many regional you can't get elsewhere plus homebrewers pouring their own out of coolers on Thursday for a tip). Of course, Ebenezer's in western, maine. The owner REALLY does take you down to his cellar and bring back a couple bottles to share at the bar. My own fave in Delaware is Two Stones .... they do a great job with what is available in De.

nuggetlover likes this.
  19. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

What is shitty about it? One of the nicest bars i have been to... great food too...

sprucetip likes this.
  20. AdamBear

AdamBear Savant (405) Pennsylvania Dec 21, 2009

Redlight Redlight in Orlando once had a Bruery/Cigar City tap take over to introduce Marron Acidifie. I still dream about it...

21. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (325) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

1702 - In Tucson, AZ is the best place to get a beer in Arizona. Worth the 2 hours drive from Phoenix, 40+ beers on tap and none of the usual suspects. They even had Hopslam about 2 or so weeks ago.(very rare for AZ).
    In U of A territory - 1702 E speedway

22. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Beer Revolution in Oakland last March had a 52 imperial stout tap takeover. Still can't believe what I had that night! Samples included Abyss '10, '11, DFH Bitches Brew, Drakes Halle Berry and Drew Berrymore and many, many more. Sooo much goodness!

23. Brickstore Pub. Decatur GA. I giggle a little just thinking about it.

24. You had a glass of Hopslam, Oracle, Batch 9000, and Palate Wrecker? How long were you there?

25. I stopped at Rogue in Newport OR on a trip from Seattle to CA.

Had no idea they had a small pub on premises, employee dominated mostly. They brought out a fresh superb cask Brutal Bitter.

Got a room across the street and stayed another night

26. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I would hardly describe CK as... shitty...

27. I was there for an hour or so,i had to pound beer because person i was with wanted to leave and the batch 9000 i only had a 4 oz.what made the actual place kinda shitty was it was about 100 degrees very dark and smelt like a frat bar.for as popular and busy this place is I just expected a nicer place,that's all.the place downstairs looked real nice but was closed.alot of the establishments in the area were really upscale and nice.the beer list was awesome though and for that reason I would go back in a second.i guess I expected something different thats all.i liked the beer list and the cool church lights

28. smakawhat

You went at a time it was a complete mad house. Hopslam twitter CK post about it being on cask equals... Zoo.

Same thing happened last year, I walked in, then walked out.

Went in last week... de Struisse mini takeover.. Black Damnation V on tap... no major crowds.. no problems.. just insane beer and probably one of the best experiences of many I have ever had, for probably one of the best beers I have ever had in my life.

long story short, you got the best and the worst of it.

29. Yea I wasn't prepared for it.when I left there was a line down the stairs and out the door.about 50 people deep.it was a zoo.i couldn't even really tell you what was goin on in there because people were packed in ass to elbow.

30. smakawhat

Here's what's the irony of it. 2 weeks ago, all those people standing in line could have walked 1/2 block down P street, gone into Whole Foods and bought a six pack of Hopslam, saved their money... and go home... and drink the beer in peace. Sure it wouldn't have been in a firkin but seriously...

31. Dude.... not cool... I am only 8 hours away though.

32. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

:( Ran out of time in DC over the summer and didn't get to go. my 4 year old kept asking to eat different ethnic foods... so ended-up doing thai, indian, and ethiopean. no beer for me!

33. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (520) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

I had a great experience when I went to Churchkey. Maybe if it weren't for all the beer geeks there for the Hopslam cask, the atmosphere may have been more pleasant. Nothing against beer geeks, by the way...

34. KelsoSaaz

KelsoSaaz Savant (255) Maine Jan 24, 2013

I took a spur of the moment trip to Portland, ME and did a quick search on my phone to look for a beer bar in the area. I found Novare Res Bier Cafe and decided to check it out. Holy hell that place is amazing, over 25 rotating taps with some choice and hard to find brews, plus it was some sort of stout week, so they had 10 extra stouts on tap. Everyone there was really cool and knew their stuff. This place was definitely the highlight of my trip and would be worth going back to Maine for.

Jspriest and Immortale25 like this.
  35. Great topic. Chruchkey is very good. Has anyone had the Guinness at Kehoe's in Dublin? Also Craft Beer Co in London is great - London is really coming on with better options each day. My favorite howoever is the Kulminator in Antwerp. I mean, who can compete with a bar that has its beer menu organized by year?

36. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

My unexpected but wonderful bar experience was last year at this time. I drove from Vegas to southern California for a little rest and relaxation. There's a place I usually stop at for a beer or two whenever I'm in that area, and this time I happened to get there right as they were opening their doors.

Sitting alone at the empty establishment I looked up at the chalkboard to make my first beery choice and what do I see? Pliny the Younger! That was completely unexpected. On top of that, I'd never had Younger before so this would be the first. Just moments after I ordered it the owner of the place came over to me and asked "How did you know we had this?". I explained that I had no idea, I just happened to walk in and my jaw hit the floor when I saw it listed on the board.

Even before I finished my first one a couple of other people trickled in and had the same reaction as I did. One difference though was that I could tell the owner wanted to keep everything low key and had made no announcements beforehand whatsoever in regards to having Younger. They wanted to avoid long lines of people waiting outside and massive throngs inside. However the other patrons in the place were on their phones within minutes calling everyone they knew and before I even finished my second Younger the place was already getting quite busy. From what I heard later it tapped out not long after I left, but to this day I'd say that was my luckiest and most unexpected bar experience so far.

37. What bar?

38. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (565) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

The Heorot is the greatest bar to ever exist!

39. my best beer bar experience happens every time i go to my neighborhood haunt. j ryan's in syracuse. this bar has great BA reviews (see here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21557/?view=beerfly&sort=&start=0) but thats not why i love it. its only two blocks away, has decent food and a great selection of well priced beers (particularly ipa's) and was one of the primary catalysts that sparked my interest in craft beer. no place i'd rather spend my hard earned.

cheers j ryan's

40. CTJman

CTJman Champion (795) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

While in Shanghai, China i was able to purchase 3 bottles of Cantillon at Keiba Beer Bar
    2002 Vigneronne - about $18usd
    2010 Rose' - about $19usd
    2008 Kriek Lambic - about $18usd

To me this was a score! Plus I bought another bottle of the Rose and brought it home to the states with me. Rules dont apply in China!