1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best beer bar experience ever!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JoeyDankNug, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Brickstore is fantastic, but can get too busy. The Porter in little 5 is my favorite bar in Atlanta. Same selection (sometimes better), but much more low key.
  2. My ultimate beer bar is The Old Toad in Rochester. It has only 15 rotating taps, but they rotate very regularly and have a great mix of international and American. Last night I was able to get a Stone Enjoy By 4/13 and a Lagunitas Sucks. But the best thing is they have a great bottle cellar, hundreds of beers from all over the world.
  3. Moeder Lambic. Started with Cantillon Cuvee Moeder Kriek, Cantillon Faro, Cantillon Lambic. When that flight of three brews arrived in Cantillon tulips, I was in heaven.
    CTJman likes this.
  4. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Mine is Falling Rock Taphouse where I had my first PtE, Blind Pig, and 90 Minute.
  5. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

ChurchKey manages to be great and terrible at the same time. Their drafts are usually very fairly priced, there is often quite a good selection, and the 4 oz. option is a lifesaver when they have several things you want to try. However their bottle list is oddly arranged, and often outrageously priced. I can't tell who they are trying to help by arranging things by color and flavor profile, but it makes things almost impossible to find, and I usually have to read the 500+ bottle list very closely at least twice to make sure I don't miss anything.

My best beer bar experience was just this past Monday, at Local 44 for their Pliny the Younger event. They made sure that the 50 early birds got one glass and one glass only before the bar opened, and even better, made certain once the bar did open that people were ordering one glass at a time, and only when they finished their current beer. Having been to crowded events where people order and are served 4 or 5 glasses at a time of the rarest beer, kicking it before everyone who showed up even gets a glass, it was refreshing to see a bar actually manage an event and ensure everyone got a fair shot at a glass of Pliny. It didn't hurt that they also had a killer tap list, including Saint de Bon Chien '11, Meantime Naval College Old Porter, and a bunch of other RR stuff.
  6. BILF

BILF Savant (465) Israel Jan 9, 2010

The Highlands in Scotland.

Walked into a pub (The Old Bridge Inn, Aviemore) and announced to the barman that I had never tasted a cask ale in my life.

One of the old blokes at the bar exclaims to the barman "Good God! Get the man an ale".

Barman procedes to pour me a taster of every cask ale on tap.

Beer advocacy at its finest.
  7. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (160) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

Lynnhaven Pub in Virginia Beach. Everytime I walk into this bar, which is little more than a hole in the wall from the outside, I am absolutely amazed. Kegs of Bitches Brew, DFH 120 Min run through a Randall of various ingredients, Alewerks Cafe Royale, etc. There are not many older/aged beers, but the selection is always incredible.
  8. zombieking

zombieking Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013

The Heorot....easily
    mpayne5 likes this.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

My best was back when Rattle and Hum had an English cask festival. Stopped in a few days after the event, but all the cask I wanted to try had kicked. They had this new beer from a brewery I'd never heard of though, and I went for it. Then again. And again. And one more just to make sure it really was that f'in good. You may have heard of it, Hunahpu's.

Pretty good night tomorrow, I do believe. See for yourself
    crazy Fri. tap list mmmm
  10. Went to Churchkey for the first time when I was back in the mid-atlantic last month and was very impressed. The bartender was knowledgeable, friendly and recognized a semi-obscure band jacket I was sporting. Got to have BCBS for the first time and I really dug the 4 oz. pour option for any beer on tap. Yes, it was pretty crowded on a Saturday at 5-ish but I was always able to find standing room with a ledge to set down my glass. I didn't find it smelly or dirty at all even when I went to the bathroom.
  11. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Where does the OP go if he thinks Churckey is shitty? That place is amazing.
  12. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Falling Rock Tap House in Denver is a pretty sweet beer bar experience.

El Bait Shop in Des Moines has 110 craft beers on tap and another 200+ bottles and also has great food! Glad I live 10 minutes from it!
  13. ndak

ndak Aficionado (130) Pennsylvania Feb 23, 2010

Brick Store Pub (Decautr, GA) - driking in the upstairs Belgian bar and having a bottle of Fantome from their cellar program

The Ginger Man (NYC) - chilling on the back couches after bar hopping all day then headed to McSorleys to close out the night

Max's Taphouse (Baltimore) - love the copper chilled bar top

The Map Room (Chicago)
  14. Getting Pliny the younger on tap in Cali for the first time
  15. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (780) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

At a bar in Denver during the 2009 GABF. BA's took over the downstairs bar and were pouring there own beers. Had some insane shit, just wish I could remember.
  16. ard ri = bombers only.

just sayin'

(on yeah and as of this week, they're back on the shelf.)
  17. Probably Tugboat in Portland, Oregon because it reminded me of a coffee shop you could easily spend all day in but with beer.
  18. You're incorrect, they don't make them anymore. I have bought 6ers before. I just drank a 12 ounce bottle at the Heorot 2 weeks ago (granted it was a 2010) and there are empty 6 packs on the rafters of the bar.

Just because you've never seen one doesn't mean they don't exist.
  19. check that.

ard ri = now bombers only

and bombers on the shelf this week. but what's really worth waiting for is the BA ard ri.
  20. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

Mikkeller Bar the night before CBC.
    It basically just turned into a big bottle share of their cellar.
  21. mikro in hamden, CT as well as Delaneys tap room in westville are my two favorites...
    Mikro has great beer selection and the staff is eager to describe and talk about each beer. delaneys is also great but gets a college age crowd sometimes (located in New Haven). Tons of beers though.
  22. I'll throw in a few more San Diego "beer bars" that I like to go to. There are so many good places for beer in SD, that's it's hard to narrow it down to just one. But, it sure is fun trying!

After Hamilton’s and Small Bar (two of my favorites...), I like the Toronado on 30th street. Haven't been there in a while, but I've enjoyed their taps in the past for sure. Nice atmosphere and good, friendly service. I also like Blind Lady Ale House on Adams (used to be within walking distance of where we lived...). Their taps can be a little pricy, and sometimes the place is overly crowded, but I like their pizzas and their taps. Their sister-bar Tiger Tiger on El Cajon is also a good place to go for some good eats and an interesting beer selection. Last…and somewhat least: Live Wire on El Cajon; North Park area. It doesn't have the best tap selection, but does have some SD local favorites. I just like the funk there...
  23. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

McSorley's in NYC. Now that place is shitty, but that's also part of why it is so awesome.
  24. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Only 5 or 6 taps, but one is ALWAYS guaranteed to be a winner. Plus they are fairly priced. I was drinking pints of Sucks for $3.50 a couple weeks ago. Bitter Valentine should hit soon.

I also like The Birch, but their prices are a bit on the high side. And I love that Ben always has Bon Chien on tap.
  25. JRod1969

JRod1969 Advocate (590) New York Nov 23, 2010

How has no one mentioned Blackback Flyshop? On second thoughts, nothing to see here, please move along.
  26. My first trip to Ebenezer's. It was early October 2009, right after the Belgian Fest. I was still kinda new to high-end beers back then but... started off with a flight of Cantillons: Iris, Rose de Gambrinus, Lou Pepe Kriek, Lou Pepe Framboise. Don't think I'll ever see four loons on draft at the same time, in the U.S., again in my life. Got the Chimay burger (superb) then moved on to half pours of Val Dieu Grand Cru, Biere de Miel, and Biere du Buccaneer (among others that I can't recall). Then split a bottle of Fantome Saison (first ever) with my friend. Killer beer bar experience. I have since had some fun trips to Eb's, but nothing like that one!
  27. I was in the Boston area once, and stopped into a bottle shop, whos name I can't remember, but the owners I believe were a female couple and one of them was German? Picked up some good bottles and then asked if they knew where I could get a decent pint and something to eat while I was in town for business. It was a Monday or Tuesday night and they sent me to the Publik House.

Went in there and it was really really good. The staff were kinda laughing and taking among themselves, but it was quiet so they were keeping themselves entertained. The list was exceptional. Mainly all belgians and then a lot of Flander's reds. I was driving so only had a couple of samples, and then a pint of something I can't remember, but it was a great experience. It wasn't until I left and researched the place that I realized how recognized this bar is even among breweries in Belgium. I completely see why...they even used ales in their food items.
    Zhiguli likes this.
  28. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Monk's Kettle in SF. Stopped in on our last afternoon in the area. Incredibly friendly and wonderful beer.
    Zhiguli likes this.
  29. I was just there two weeks ago for the first time. I wasn't expecting it to be as awesome as it was for whatever reason. They still had quite a few beers on from their Belgian Fest President's Day weekend. Huge, well chosen bottle list, well cared for and thought out tap selection and super friendly, knowledgeable and attentive bartender as well.

I love Monk's Cafe, Tria and Eulogy in Philly, The Lion's Pride in Bruinswick, Maine, Novare Res in Portland, the Public House in Boston and the Alehouse in Amesbury, Mass. but my heart and soul is still with Ebenezer's in Lovell, Maine. If you can ever make the Belgian Beer Fest in August and in particular, the Beer Dinner that kicks off the fest you'll not regret it!

One place I am definitely going to hit soon is Jeppe's Dorst in NY. The place looks otherworldly for the beer enthusiast!
  30. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

My favorite local spot is The Good Life in Massapequa, NY. 22 taps of all sorts of great stuff and between the release events and beer dinners there are plenty of surprises. I've had fun at Busy Bee Cafe in Raleigh, Map Room in Chicago, and Sunset Grille in Boston. Wouldn't mind having any of those as a regular spot if I lived by them.
  31. I'm a huge yankee fan and was making my first trip to camden yards to see orioles vs. yankees with my fiancé. after the game we were told to check out this area called fell's point. After getting off a water taxi, we were just walking around and I happened to notice a sign that said 200 beers on draft and over 1000 beers. I thought that it must have been some sort of a joke that a random bar in this area of baltimore would have so many beers. I walked in and found out that this is one of the top beer bars in the country, Max's and had so many beers that I would never be able to grab by me.
  32. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Of course, I should also mention my random Tuesday trip to Alpine. Got there just as the pub opened. Nelson, Bad Boy & Expo were all on. Headed over to the brewery at noon. Lo and behold, Expo bottle release, unannounced. That was a fine experience.
  33. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (235) California Jul 12, 2012

It was at a dark basement bar in Brugge, Belgium early in the afternoon. While walking the gorgeous streets we stopped at man pubs and got random beers and cheese/meat boards and then we came upon an interesting sign with stairs that lead downwards. We entered into a big place, walked up to a nice long bar, sat down and realized we dont know any of the beers but felt quite comfortable. Turns out there serious American blues were being played. So after hearing all of these stories of Americans not feeling welcome in Europe this was one of the first interactions with locals and what a positive one this was.

The bartender was the owner, a young dude obsessed with the blues, particularly with Chicago blues so we got along very well. We asked him for his favorite beer and he pulled out two Roch 10s from the fridge. After that first sip all of the madness of all the subsequent years of beer love followed. Forever thankful for that day. We must have drank 4 each back to back. Smashed, hit more bars later, ended up dancing with bronze statues, falling asleep on the grass outside of our B&B thinking we lost the keys (which were in my bag all along) This was years back and I can find the bar name if needed
  34. eggmaggi

eggmaggi Aficionado (150) Oregon Aug 11, 2012

Bailey's taproom. Portland, OR. Never had a bad experience there. Great staff, good beer.
  35. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

dude, quiet
    JRod1969 likes this.
  36. WeisGuy

WeisGuy Advocate (510) New York Apr 26, 2006

Yes, this. Blackback is terrible and I don't dream of it being stumbling distance from me.
  37. BenAdvocate

BenAdvocate Sales Manager (140) Massachusetts Jul 16, 2009 Staff Member

Mayor of Old Town in Ft Collins CO was pretty epic. Hops & Pie in Denver was great as well.