1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Beer for the weaning process?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 806Polarbeer, Feb 14, 2013.

1. 806Polarbeer

806Polarbeer Disciple (70) Texas Oct 18, 2012

So I have seen a bunch of talk about "converting" people to craft beer. I have also come across several situations of some people asking what beer to try if they normally drink adjunct lagers. In the recent past I have tended to suggest DFH Midas Touch. For me it is just one of those beers that I think anybody can like without any degree of pallet development. It is also not too heavy and is pretty well balanced. I tell people to take a four pack home with them and if they don't like the first one, I will buy the other three and give them $10 on top of that, and I haven't had to pay out yet. With that being said I do realize that as far as styles go, Midas touch is in no way the most likely "next step" for someone that is wanting to give craft beer a try. What are your opinions on a good next step, true craft beer?

Jonada likes this.
  2. 90 Shilling
    Fat Tire
    Maduro
    Gaelic
    Brooklyn Lager

3. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Summit EPA
    Fat Tire
    Nut Browns are also a good style to start with IMHO

4. I had newbies like everything from Allagash Wit to Old Rasputin to Cuvee Rene.
    Point is, it 100% depends on the person.

Newenglandcraftbrew likes this.
  5. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

Pale ales and hefeweizens seem to do the trick

6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I personally think Midas Touch is a pretty awful beer, so I wouldn't start there.

I also think the whole idea of "converting" people to craft is verkakte, unless someone asks you for suggestions. Live and let live, drink and let drink.

But if someone asks me to recommend a good all-around beer, I'll probably suggest something like Duvel, Saison Dupont, or La Fin Du Monde.

7. 806Polarbeer

806Polarbeer Disciple (70) Texas Oct 18, 2012

I dont personally push people towards anything, it is when I am asked because people at my store know that I try and drink almost anything, that i will start giving suggestions. I agree with you, if someone likes what they are drinking then I am not to interfere in the least. I have just "seen" the term "convert" on here a couple times in the last month or two.

8. I know a guy who was a life-long Bud drinker (20+ years) that was hooked on Bigfoot after his first sip! He had a tough time downing his 2 cases of Bud that he brought camping.

El_Zilcho likes this.
  9. Brown ales, marzens, and doppelbocks are maltier options for people who do not enjoy hops. Once they're comfortable with the heftier malt bills, something like a hoppier pilsner (prima, SN summerfest) could be a good step before getting into pale ales and the like.

10. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I tend to find that hop bitterness is more offputting to non-craft drinkers than is a heavy malt bill. Roastiness, sweetness etc. are likely flavors most have experienced with other beverages-coffee, tee etc.-and thus might be more palatable for new craft drinkers.

fuzzylogic likes this.
  11. Tripel Karmeliet is a beer that I still find delicious after all these years, and it doesn't really have any offensive flavors, so I imagine it would appeal to just about anybody.

RockAZ and jlordi12 like this.
  12. repivk

repivk Zealot (85) Minnesota Dec 8, 2012

I started from Newcastle. But after that it was an avalanche upon having surly furious.

Newenglandcraftbrew likes this.
  13. Jonada

Jonada Savant (485) New Jersey May 23, 2012

Like others have said, it depends on the person. However, if you think the person would like Midas Touch I would probably recommend DFH Noble Rot instead (especially if the person likes wine). It's somewhat similar to Midas Touch but IMO better and I think would appeal more to someone who hasn't had a lot of experience with craft beer.

14. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

What does the person like to eat? If they drink wine, what type?

These threads constantly pop up, but the answer is always the same. Its dependent on THAT persons tastes. Not yours, not mine, not the person next to them trying beer for the first time as well.

My dads first craft beer was BCBVS after thanksgiving dinner and he loved it. He tried wits, lambics, and pale ales afterwards and didnt like any of them. This would seem ass backwards to most, but I knew he would like it based on HIS tastes.

15. I recently gave a BCBS to a BMC newbie...and it blew his mind. In my experience, you go big (like BCBS) or you go small (like, sadly, Blue Moon...or perhaps some WeinhastphanerskjlkhadhHBMS Lager, etc.). BCBS is a fun first sip to watch the BMC man take, I'll say that.

16. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Mamas little yellow pils

17. We definitely need more pallet development. I'm tired of seeing the same old pallets on the loading dock.

TNGabe and Shagator like this.
  18. I usually start with hefeweizens of whites, then move to belgian ales from dub to trip to quad, then bring it to ipa's and stouts

806Polarbeer likes this.
  19. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

from personal experience, ST Unearthly got me to move to good beer. That being said I had had several crafts, or imports that just never did it for me. There were several porters that I used to like. Breckenridge was one of my favorites

20. Fou' Foune they wouldn't believe you it was beer, actually scratch that if you have excess FF to do that send it to me. Some like a gentle intro others like a rude DIPA awakening, offer a variety in a tasting.

21. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Gotta go with SNPA as my first choice here. Of course, I'm somewhat biassed by the fact that it was my gateway into beer (not just craft beer). If someone is really stoked on adjunct lagers, a good, bright, light, well crafted lager might be appropriate as well (Heater Allen Pils, Ayinger Marzen)

806Polarbeer likes this.
  22. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

SNPA
    90 Schilling
    Fat Tire
    Easy Street

Too many options really, but these are each good places to start...

23. I never tried to convert people, but I used to keep the Brooklyn mixed case at my house. It had the lager, brown ale, pennant, ipa, and something else. Everybody found something they like.

24. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

SNPA, Black Butte, and Anchor Steam are all good starting points.

sunkistxsudafed likes this.
  25. [​IMG]

26. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (270) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

Some good weeners....
    If they drink this ----->>>> let them try this

Stella ----->>>> Three Floyds Jinx Proof or Metropolitan Krankshaft

Guinness ----->>>> Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro

Blue Moon ----->>>> Allagash White, Ommegang Witte or Bell's Oberon.

BMC ----->>>> Krombacher Pils, Capital Supper Club or Boulevard Reverb

red wine ----->>>> Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge, Kasteel Rouge or a Timmermans Lambic

white wine ----->>>> Tripel Karmeliet, Saison DuPont or even Victory Summer Love.

Other good ones for weening....
    Xingu Black Beer (shin-goo)
    Two Bros. Long Haul Session Ale
    New Glarus Spotted Cow

arfenhouse likes this.
  27. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Brewdog Paradox Smokehead Islay Edition. Noobs love it.

28. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

Am I the only person who thought this would be a thread about the best beer to drink while dealing with a wife who's breaking down emotionally every night because she doesn't feel that her child loves her the same way anymore?

806Polarbeer likes this.
  29. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager

30. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (280) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

It seems stouts and porters go well , at least over the winter holidays. TenFidy, Old Raspy, Edmund Fitz, Anchor Porter, SN Porter, SN Stout. But not to barrel age 14% stuff at the beginning.

31. BruChef

BruChef Savant (285) New York Nov 8, 2009

This.