1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Best Beer Gardens?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ramore99, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ramore99

ramore99 Member

There's a nice thread about picturesque taprooms and bars, could folks chime in about best beer gardens? And why? (Pictures would be nice too).
    Thanks
    Roy
  2. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Member

The Hofbrauhaus in Munich was pretty darn cool when we visited a few years ago.
  3. millelacsmark

millelacsmark Member

Englisch garten in Munich and Augustiner in Salzberg.
    forrestbetts and Heidelberg7 like this.
  4. lemongelo

lemongelo Member

I would love this thread to take off with pictures as well!
  5. iebforever

iebforever Member

Blue Mountain Beer Company in Grand Terrace, CA has a very nice beer garden!
  6. herrburgess

herrburgess Member

Here are just a few of my favorites from Bamberg and neighboring villages. Ride your bike an hour in any direction and you'll hit at least a half dozen such places.

1. Spezial Keller in Bamberg:

[​IMG]

2. Sauer in Rossdorf:

[​IMG]

3. St. Georgenbrau in Buttenheim:

[​IMG]
  7. TNGabe

TNGabe Member

I can't find a pic to share, but Golden City Brewery in Golden, Co is my favorite. It's in a residential neighborhood a few blocks from downtown and across a street from Clear Creek. The beer garden is a few picnic tables in what used to be someone's yard. Probably not world class in most people's books. but if you've ever been there (when it wasn't crazy busy) and didn't love it, I feel sorry for you.
    dckepley likes this.
  8. steveh

steveh Member

In the Lincoln Square area of Chicago there's a tiny old joint that's been serving up German food and beer for decades; Resi's Bierstube. They have a small Garten open in the summer and it's like an escape from the noisy Irving Park Rd. out front. It's a step back in time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The garten is so small that the photographer could only step back far enough to get half in his shot -- there are a couple more tables to the right that you can't see.
    Redrover likes this.
  9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

10. herrburgess

herrburgess Member

Munich and surrounding area favorites:

1. Augustiner...right in the center of town, but you forget all about that once you step through the gates:

[​IMG]

2. Seehaus in the Englischer Garten:

[​IMG]

3. Augustiner Salzburg:

Grab a liter ceramic mug from the wall...

[​IMG]

...have it filled straight from the wooden keg, grab some snacks from the butchers' and bakers' hall and a seat under the chestnut trees, and settle in.

[​IMG]
    millelacsmark and WassailWilly like this.
  11. steveh

steveh Member

You forgot "...warm it up under the warm water tap..."

Love this place.
  12. steveh

steveh Member

Have to put my vote in for the HofbrÀukeller and Hirschau in the Englischer Garten.
  13. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Member

I know it does not hold a candle to the aforementioned locations, but I like to roof top bier garten at Das Bier Haus in Burlington, VT.

If the weather is nice, it's great to sit at a picnic table in the sun and relax.
  14. herrburgess

herrburgess Member

Correct you are. Here you go:

[​IMG]
  15. cavedave

cavedave Member

We spent some good times in a huge beer garden in Tlaquepaque, Mexico (near Guadalajara) back in the 70's. Nothing like drinking beer serenaded by mariachis strolling through tropical gardens.
  16. I've had many a great days drinking in the Pear Tree when I was at edinburgh uni. Stayed a stones throw from it for a couple of years too

[​IMG]
    herrburgess likes this.
  17. hophead247

hophead247 Member

Switzerland

[​IMG]
  18. Davepoolesque

Davepoolesque Member

Frankford Hall in Philly was pretty nice. They have huge fire pits for the cooler autumn nights.
  19. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Member

20. steveh

steveh Member

21. steveh

steveh Member

There's a little rest stop half-way down the ski trail from the Eiger to Grindelwald (IIRC) that has a pretty good view too. Great place to stop for a rest and a beer.
    forrestbetts likes this.
  22. herrburgess

herrburgess Member

Always been intrigued by this place -- Radegast in Williamsburg, Brooklyn -- since it opened a few years back, but never made it out of Manhattan (and Zum Schneider) to get out there. It has a retractable roof (place used to be a garden center, I believe), so it's pretty much a beer garden. Anyone been?

[​IMG]
  23. herrburgess

herrburgess Member

Love that place. Met my wife in Edinburgh and went to the Pear Tree with her a few times, as it was right across the street from the University of Edinburgh's Language Center. I went searching for it online recently and thought I saw that another pub had opened in that space. Know anything about that?
  24. I've not heard about that, I've not been there for a few years
  25. forrestbetts

forrestbetts Member

Fischerbrau in Vienna for Fruhschappen on Sunday afternoon.
  26. forrestbetts

forrestbetts Member

There was a nice place in Baden Baden. Can't remember the name, though...
  27. Norfolk coast.Lovely cool cask pints served in excellent condition, beach so close you can leave your pint on the table and go for a swim.Or just watch the boats go by and have a few more pints.Or have a meal and more pints.
    [​IMG]
  28. thetachibro

thetachibro Member

I've been there a bunch of times. Place is great. Great Beers..The grill they have there is awesome. All different types of sausage, even venison, served on pretzel rolls.