1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Beer No One Seems To Know About

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HomeBrewed, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Uinta Labyrinth Black Ale.

It's available year round, runs $11.99-$12.99 for a 750mL bottle, and it's ALWAYS on the shelves around here. The real beauty of it? It's not a black ale. It's a stout. A double imperial one. And it's fucking BARREL AGED. And it's 13.2% Inexpensive, widely available, tasty, high ABV, barrel aged stout with a 92 rating on this site...and either no one knows about it, or they just can't be bothered with it. Regardless, it's a beautiful beer.
    Zach136, dlello2, rbradley and 5 others like this.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Dang, I will be out buying extras today, gonna get one of these for sure. I do see this one on shelf all the time, and routinely do pass it by.
    Retail1LO likes this.
  3. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Anything Three Heads.
    cavedave likes this.
  4. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Absolutely. Came here to say this. Gypsy Ale is also amazing.
  5. White Birch brewing from NH.

There barrel aged wild ales are off the charts. Past QC issues have faded with their new space. Give then a go.
    Jacob007 likes this.
  6. The best beer that no one knows about is hands down Drakes Aroma Coma. Amazing brew.
  7. jchoffman

jchoffman Aficionado (185) Georgia Jan 28, 2012

I agree,
  8. love me some exit 4 and am sure to try any of their exit releases... not a big fan of their regular rotation stuff though, besides exit 4
    Etan likes this.
  9. Yikes! Where's the 'dislike' button when you need it?
  10. Craftsman 1903
    Rorhbach's Scotch ale (can't wait until this stuff is bottled)
  11. Not a big range of distribution for both of these but:

NOLA's Flambeau Red--one of the best red ales I have had
    High and Mighty's Fumata Bianca--If I did not know better I would think I was drinking a German rauchbier
  12. A lot of the small MA breweries are getting love (BA/Bros. festival proximity exposure helps), but I'll go with Slumbrew and their Porter Square Porter. Chocolately goodness.
  13. New Holland Bourbon Barrel Pilgrim's Dole
    adamdd likes this.
  14. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Haymarket Mathias Imperial IPA
    geneseohawk and pschul4 like this.
  15. This, just popped one open from 2010 and it was awesome. Buy it whenever you see it!
  16. One that I love that nobody seems to talk about is Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca. I'm not a huge fan of witbiers but this one is just fantastic.

Another that I'm sure people are plenty aware of but I never see talked about is Petrus Aged Pale. Maybe I don't see it because I never read the threads about "Recommend me some SOURS!!!" but as far as quality, price, and availability, you can't beat this one.

<EDIT> I just checked out the "Sours...I'm hooked." thread out of curiosity and, sure enough, the Petrus got mentioned a couple times so there you go...
  17. St. Arnold Endeavour DIPA is phenomenal, and in my opinion can stand up to Pliny and Hopslam.

NOLA makes great beer. Now that they are canning, they'll always get distributed in my trades.
    H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  18. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

19. Recently had this, and I agree that it's definitely up there as one of the most solid coffee stouts. I'm contemplating picking up a case to have one as breakfast every now and then.
    JM03 likes this.
  20. FosterJM

If you like this, drive out to Craft in Lake Elsinore and get their Ravens Stout.
    Very good small batch stout.

Cheers!
  21. Ispwich Oatmeal Stout

And Portsmouth brewery makes one of the best stouts I have ever had - oatmeal stout that is... ;-) Milk Stout is no slouch either... Kind of glad they don't excite the beer geeks like Kate though.
    Acforster2 and jbertsch like this.
  22. dukes

dukes Aficionado (180) Apr 2, 2012

[​IMG]
    Aexoonge likes this.
  23. dukes

dukes Aficionado (180) Apr 2, 2012

Short's Huma Lupa Licious IPA - Never really see it mentioned here. Do people know this gem exists?? Best American IPA on the market methinks.
  24. Aexoonge

Aexoonge Savant (255) California Mar 2, 2012

I miss this beer SOOO much! It was always on tap back in Boston...

:D CHEERS
  25. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (300) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011

Never had the Tripel but if it's anything like their Saison then I trust you.
    I wish I still lived in Ohio.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

uinta's hop notch, ska brewing's modus hoperandi and steel toe stout come to mind immediately. i don't know why i don't hear more about hop notch, it's amazing. i can understand ska being limited in distro though.
  27. funkel81

funkel81 Savant (410) California Jan 23, 2011

28. Second Overcast. Great coffee stout
  29. golfr22

golfr22 Aficionado (130) Colorado Nov 6, 2007

Two come to mind for me. One I mentioned in another thread is Pyramid Outburst Imperial IPA. Best value out there right now at $8 a sixer and downright delicious. The other is Wynkoop's The Coupler. It was a sweet imperial stout brewed with cocoa nibs and hot peppers then aged in Stranahan's barrels. From what I was told, they aren't brewing it again this year, but it was quite possibly the best beer I have ever had.

P.S. Labyrinth is pretty damn amazing too as others have said
  30. Acforster2

Acforster2 Aficionado (245) Florida Jan 17, 2011

Narragansett bock lager. $7.99 6 pk of 16oz cans. I've never heard it mentioned and found it in the seasonals
    . Very impressed.
    Auror and BigCheese like this.
  31. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

McMenamins Hammerhead and their Ruby. Never hear any love for them May be because they're all tap only.
  32. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (310) California Feb 4, 2012

Will do for sure. Planning an LA/SD run here soon and look forward to hitting them up!
  33. Black Tuesday - None of my non-beer geek friends have any idea about it
  34. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Blue Mountain's Full Nelson pale ale.
    If you just want a damn good beer that doesn't try to impress by being imperial, double, barrel-aged, bourboned, Belgian-inspired, or overhopped, this is it.
    Shilt likes this.
  35. FosterJM

Wow. Really didnt see you were in Santa Barbara! Enjoy the SD run.

Cheers!
  36. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I actually had this in an obscure place sometime ago in rural Virginia Shenandoah county, just on a fluke. It is really impressive I agree.
  37. Two come to mind (and I'm not sure I'm playing this game exactly right, but):

Ipswich Oatmeal Stout:
    This can take care of any craving I might have for something like Founders FBS.

Rock Art Double Smoked Porter:
    I don't know if this was just hitting my palate really well on the day I had it, but I really loved this baltic-style porter... I guess a little more than others do as I look at the reviews.
  38. Nugget Nectar! HA

no seriously - Fullsteam IGOR. really good BA Stout. local brewery in Durham, NC.
  39. bsuedekum

bsuedekum Savant (465) Missouri Aug 13, 2010

Perennial Abraxas