1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Beer No One Seems To Know About

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HomeBrewed, Apr 18, 2012.

1. a local one would be Size 7 ipa
    a regional one would be odells ipa or just odells as a brewery

Retail1LO likes this.
  2. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Harvey's Mild.

3. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

Class V stout from KRBC. It blows most other big stouts out of the water.

Unholygoalie likes this.
  4. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Shhhh that's the best milk stout I've ever had (sorry Moloko) stop telling people about it! :D

Zach136 and Unholygoalie like this.
  5. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

BA Shipwreck Porter from Arcadia Brewing. Just a spectacular bourbon barrel porter for about $6 for a 12oz. Really easy to buy in season in Michigan.

6. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (310) California Feb 4, 2012

^this^

7. Mission Brewing Co. Dark Seas. Stuff is very good.

8. One of the things I miss most about living in Boston is Ipswich Oatmeal Stout. That beer is goddamn amazing.

9. StoutFest

StoutFest Savant (315) Illinois Dec 15, 2009

I would tell you but then word would get out and I wouldn't have access to it anymore.

10. Fremont BA Abiminable

New Glarus Barleywine

Allagash Odessey

11. Blackheart Stout from Middle Ages Brewery in Syracuse, NY. Awesome beer.

12. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

very wise...... like when a gallon of Carlo Rossi piasano was $7.00.... before everyone got hip....

13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Listermann in Ohio makes some delicious brews...even a true Mild that kicks it.

Olde Hickory's Imperial Stout needs to be tried by more people. It is outstanding!

whendeathsleeps likes this.
  14. That was thinking of F5 the moment after I read the title. F5 is one amazing beer. They would be crazy not to can or bottle it. They're doing a meet the brewer soon for a new beer they're releasing for Spring. I will beg them to put it out in bottles or cans. I must have this wonderful liquid at home.

15. BARFLYB

BARFLYB Advocate (605) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2007

Duck rabbit Baltic Porter

16. Agreed with the Sound and Fremont recs on here. Another big local surprise here in Seattle was the Schooner Exact Imperial Porter. Schooner usually makes some nice stuff, but this was on another level. Tiny distribution and bottled in half-growlers, so fairly inaccessible.

libbey likes this.
  17. Yes! Very good.

18. 2378GCGTG

2378GCGTG Savant (270) Texas Dec 7, 2011

Do you age it or drink it fresh? Just received one in a trade and have been trying to figure out what to do with it; advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers!

19. I've only had it fresh thus far, and it was great. I have a couple bottles aging currently, however.

20. Valley Brew Uberhoppy

21. I love Class V!

22. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Maybe people have noticed QC issues? I had 2 of them a week from each other and the 1st one was fucking good and the 2nd one was meh and I couldn't believe that it came out of a bottle with the same label as the one I had the week before.

23. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

I've had it 3 different times and each time it was equally amazing as the previous...haven't experienced any QC issues at all

24. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

We(my tasting group) did, I was just thinking out loud that maybe that's why its still on shelves, if we're not the only ones that perceived that. If I bought two and one turned out w/e, the good one has to be mind-blowingly good for me to take a freaking chance on buying any more. The good one we had was very good but it wasn't anything mind blowing.

25. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (465) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

Crooked Stave in Colo. is rapidly building a cult-like fanbase in regards to wild/barrel aged beers. Their Wild Brett Series is a pretty interesting take on brett beers.

I am also really enjoying Marble Brewing's (Albuquerque) Red beer. Like it better than O'Dell's Red.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  26. 100% agree

27. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (670) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Ouch!! I'll agree with Rohrbach's Scotch ale....that stuff is gold. But what have you got against Three Heads?! Those guys are great!!

28. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Schlafly American IPA....

29. From all accounts the 3HB guys are cool, but for me, their beer is overpriced for what it is.

30. Here's another one since the temperature is getting warmer: Narragansett Summer Ale. Had one last night, and it blew me away. 10 bucks for a sixer of tallboys (and that's at a grocery store!) is an amazing deal for something this flavorful, yet easy drinking

Acforster2, BigCheese and chcfan like this.
  31. I agree. Their quality and consistency has significantly improved!

32. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

I'm really fond of that beer. Considering it's Gansett, I don't feel that $10 a sixer is that great of a deal even at 16oz cans, but overall I guess it's pretty good compared to standard craft pricing, especially for PA given our awesome prices. I think I paid $32 for a case last year.

33. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Loverbeer
    Perennial

34. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

also got to tip my hat to boulevard dark truth stout. i coiuld live my life just drinking that stout and be pretty happy.

35. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I really like Mendocino Barleywine. It doesnt seem to get much love in the ratings though

36. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (670) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Overprice, maybe. Quality of product, for certain.

37. Everything from Big Rock Chophouse in Birmingham, MI. It's a brewpub so they only serve onsite and sell bottles and growlers to go, but the brewery is soon moving out of the restaurant to a new location down the street to be called Griffin Claw BC.
    Red Rock Flemish Red
    Saison St Clair
    Flying Buffalo RIS
    Bourbon Barrel RIS
    Sour Raspberry
    Norms Raggedy Ass IPA
    Bonnie's Raggedy Ass DIPA
    etc etc etc
    Check his awards. This beer is liquid awesomeness.

38. the leviathan series is a pleasant surprise. i had the IIPA, Uber Bock, and Rye on draft @ brewey and bought some of the rye i loved it

39. morimech

morimech Advocate (700) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

August Schell's Bock. The best bock brewed by an American brewery.

Steel Toe Size 7. An excellant West Coast IPA from the Midwest.

40. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I could name quite a handful here, but I'll stick close to home and promote a good one I recently had in Black Rat Imperial Stout from Cellar Rats Brewery, very good example of the style and amazing how that 9.2% abv just blends right in without so much as a kiss on the lips, I'll definitely be keeping this brewery on my short list as far as locals go.