1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Beer No One Seems To Know About

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HomeBrewed, Apr 18, 2012.

1. sdsurfer217

sdsurfer217 Aficionado (175) Ohio May 2, 2010

Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace... at least in my area, its not that well known. But everytime I share it with someone, they are blown away.

crunkchiggin2002 and Wowcoolman like this.
  2. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Yep, Sorachi Ace is an absolutely top notch saison. Should be getting a lot of attention.

My mention would be Redband Stout from Great River Brewery in Iowa. Nothing fancy, just a damn fine coffee stout.

HomeBrewed and jdrum like this.
  3. Thunderhop ipa (my profile pic) by the church brew works in pittsburgh....if ever in the area stop in for fantastic food and a beer sampler......there pipe organ pale ale is also very solid!!

4. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (625) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

Came here to say the same. I wish it was a year-round brew from Schlafy. Awesome brew.

5. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (505) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

I mentioned it in another thread, I'll bring it up here: Bierra Del Borgo Duchessic. Collabo with Cantillon, Italian saison + Cantillon lambic = Duchessic. Fantastic beer. I could drink it every single day.

6. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

Hitachino white, and Rogue's Yellow snow. Hitachino is pricey but ohhh man!

Kopfschuss likes this.
  7. Boneyard kills it!

8. Uinta Cock eyed Cooper and Hop Notch are wonderful and I don't hear much hype.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  9. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Had one when I was out in AZ for Spring Training and I concur.

I am a sucker for Oatmeal Stouts and that just might be the best one I have had the privilege to try. I can't believe its available in Arizona but skips Colorado....so cruel.

As for other beers, no one seems to talk up Odell's Red too much around here. Such an absolutely fantastic beer.

Also, Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale is a mighty fine brown ale.

10. Second that to hop notch.....great ipa I found on a trip to atlantic city

11. Blackstudded

Blackstudded Aspirant (40) Mar 2, 2012

I was purchasing a couple American wilds and a Hanssens lambic around last Christmas, and the store clerk asked me to wait one second while he got something from the back. He returned to the counter with this beer. Delicious..... wish I could have/find another one.

12. Trystero

Trystero Savant (280) Ohio Jul 28, 2009

The Brew Kettle Old 21. Now that it's in 4 packs it's going to be on retainer in my fridge.

13. Stoudt's Double IPA. That one comes easily to mind.

jlenik likes this.
  14. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (595) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Just got one of these as an extra in a trade. Now I'm looking forward to popping it open.:)

15. Tripel Karmeliet. Quite possibly the best beer I've ever had that gets so little attention. Easy enough for your grandma to love it, and yet so nuanced that a hardened expert palate would appreciate all the subtlety. Big Bad Baptist is also freakin' awesome. Blew me away.

Zach136 likes this.
  16. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (505) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

One of the better DIPA's available in Ohio. Best value for sure, bomber for 4 dollars? Yessir.

WesM63 likes this.
  17. I'm glad you mentioned Epic Brewing Company because I've had some of their Exponential Series that blew me away. I special ordered a case of their Imperial/Double IPA from a distributor the next state over (haven't seen it here in PA), paid alot of dough for it, but was worth every penny. I think Epic needs to be commended and totally agree with your post.

18. The Ipswich Oatmeal Stout is amazing, and all over the shelves here. If you want to trade for some let me know.

19. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (470) California Nov 16, 2009

McKenzie's Saison Vautour du Bois. A good trader introduced me to this gem. One of the best, if not the best American-made Saison.

20. This is my favorite RIS, we don't see it any more around here, need to try and find some more...

21. Green Flash West Coast IPA, as good as Pliney and can get it in NJ. Fegleys Hopsolutely, one of the best beers iv had, let alone triple IPA, but i will admit much better on Tap then in bottles, and also Fegleys Insidious BA iImperial Stout. Just a fantastic barrel ages stout.

cavedave likes this.
  22. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Fegley's, mmm, had both of the ones you mention. Fresh bottled Hopsolutely is one of the strongest flavored hop and big alcohol flavor extravaganzas I ever have tried, and with a bit of age it starts to be a stupid good Amer. Barleywine. Wish I could see it on tap! BA Insidious was really fine as well; thick, and full of bourbon goodness.

23. Holland

Holland Savant (490) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

Swamp Head's Saison Du Swamp. Hopefully it will be more available in the coming years.

24. aorloski

aorloski Savant (380) Massachusetts Oct 11, 2010

I bought a sixer of Ipswich Oatmeal Stout on a whim because it was cheap and had a nice 7%abv for a kick and god damn was i surprised how good it was, really happy i can get it whenever i want.

I agree with the mentioned Harpoon IIPA, though that being said I've had it in bottles and was not a fan, probably because they sit on the shelves forever, but when i got a growler fill of it at the brewery i was seriously impressed.

I will also agree with Weyerbacher Heresy, but I'm fine with it not being hyped so i can buy as many as i want without having to worry about it running out within .0001 seconds.

25. WesM63

WesM63 Advocate (665) Ohio Nov 6, 2011

Fantastic stuff!

Maumee Bay Brewing IPA is decent if you run across it, or are passing through Toledo, Ohio. (I hear Amarillo Barillo is an excellent DIPA, but it's only on tap)
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1475/13130

26. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (650) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Weihenstephaner Hefeweisbier.

1900+ reviews at 98 World Class rating and best Hefe in the world according to our BA nerds. Found everywhere for a reasonable price yet no talks much about it at all.

keithmurray, HomeBrewed and libbey like this.
  27. Have to go with Fremont BA Abominable...absolutely love what they're doing at Fremont (from their Beer to their Sense of Community).
    Hear me now and believe me later...this particular beer is going to blow up in the ISO forum.

libbey likes this.
  28. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I was really, really impressed with the 4 Hands War Hammer IPA I had a couple of weeks ago out of St. Louis. I had it the same week I enjoyed an Abrasive and Heady-Topper, and thought it hung very nicely with the two.

29. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (370) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

Central waters bourbon barrel stout! Just slightly under a kbs IMO.

30. cdb636

cdb636 Disciple (70) Illinois Apr 2, 2012

FFF Hessian Smog (Best ESB out there)
    2 Brothers Cane and Ebel
    Ale Asylum Bedlam (Just had it for the first time and it tops my list for Belgian Pales)

31. Serious answer this time - Squatter's Fifth Element - Fucking good

Keffa likes this.
  32. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (570) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Tequesta Brewing Co. Hopscotch. It's insanely delicious. I've been to several events where Hopscotch beat out all others like Funky Buddha, Cigar City, Victory, Stone and Left Hand.

33. Big fan of local Swamphead's Blackwater (now Darkwater). A black ipa that is amazing fresh!

34. Old Hickory Imperial Stout. Brewed with honey and it's amazing!!

pimpinmidget likes this.
  35. Toppling Goliath's Golden Nugget IPA. Northeast Iowa's hidden gem.

36. Lancaster Rumspringa - not a style that gets much attention but this is a really well-made beer. Just a top notch Maibock

37. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (555) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

You are an hones man who does not let your judgement be clouded by nonsense. I see this beer everyday pass it up- I will no longer.

38. New to Louisiana (out of MA), I'd like to ad Slumbrew (Somerville Brewing) to the list. Tasty sh*t, good price.

39. cLin

cLin Aficionado (185) California Jul 21, 2010

Live Oak Old Tree Hugger Barleywine