1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Beer of the Month Club?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I tried searching and didn't see a thread. I am very interested in joining a beer of the month club. Any of you guys in one? If so how much is it and do you consider it a decent deal?

I was looking at beeronthewall but they don't ship to my state (VA).

Thanks!

RyanCave likes this.
  2. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

This one:

http://www.beermonthclub.com/the-rare-beer-club.htm

Most all of the rest can be spotty in their selections and all are a bit pricy for what you get. I tried a different one for a few months until I found that the reason many won't ship to PA was a certain lack of clarity in PA law that created the possibility I was breaking the law by receiving out of state beer shipments that nobody was paying state tax on. Also in the 3 months of membership I found that there was about a 50% chance that I'd never have bought the beer for myself even if I had had acess to it in PA.

Ranbot and DSlim71 like this.
  3. Hanzo

$44.95 a month for two 750ml bottles seems high to me, Is the value of what they send you really that high?

4. Some months it's worth it, other months it's not. It really depends upon your distribution, too. Join with an "open membership" and you'll get options each month. You will see the beer selections ahead of time and can decide if you want to: skip that month, add more bottles, switch out bottles, etc. It's very flexible and, in my opinion, worth keeping open to see what the bottles are each month.

5. Hanzo

Oh, I had no idea you could actually see what was available and pick and choose what months to take delivery. That's excellent.

I thought you just signed up and was sent whatever they want without you know until you opened the box.

6. Not if you join with an open monthly membership. The first month you join, however, you'll get whatever they're sending out. Then, you'll get an e-mail at the end of the month with the selections for the next month, and have about a week to respond/decide what you'd like to do. It's an online form in the e-mail. Works really smoothly and their customer support is excellent.

7. backfat

backfat Initiate (0) Indiana Dec 28, 2009

yeah, you gotta figure just about any beer of the month club shipping is going to be ~13 bucks. so 32 bucks for 2 750's of pretty decent beer isn't too bad. I was looking at some of the past selections and they aren't bad, especially if you live in a place with poor distro

8. Right.

On a related note, the selections sometimes are ones that you'll receive a month or more ahead of time before it hits distribution. For example, Anchorage Galaxy White IPA was a selection last month in February that was sent to the beer club, but is only hitting distribution this month (or later this month?). Other beers are ones brewed specifically for the Rare Beer Club, like January's selection by Saint Somewhere: Cynthiana.

They also have exclusive offers sometimes. Currently, there is an offer from Jester King to purchase 4 different of their "Farmhouse" beers - Black Metal Farmhouse, Mad Meg Farmhouse, Noble King Farmhouse and Farmhouse Wytchmaker Rye IPA I believe. Completely optional, but as a member you have the choice. Since I don't think anyone outside of Texas gets Jester King (maybe limited in CA?), that is a pretty cool one to get.

Billclinton167 likes this.
  9. Hanzo

I see. Well the ability to get stuff that isn't normally distributed in my area is a pretty good draw.

10. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

I was given two memberships at different points through the years and drtth mentioned, the selections can be spotty. I was never able to pull the trigger on the Rare because of the price, but if you have the extra cash that would be the way to go. Also, France44 (online purveyors of Surly :) among others) has something called the Rathskeller Club that I have been meaning to look into. Not sure of price but you can email them.

http://www.france44.com/page.cfm/RATHSKELLER_CLUB.html

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. ChrisKramer

ChrisKramer Aspirant (25) Mar 19, 2012

I've had a membership at http://www.craftbeerclub.com for nearly a year now, and love it. It's about $38 a month for a half case, with 2 selections from 2 different breweries from all around the country. Shipping adds about $13. So, it's not the cheapest way to buy beer, but you get a great selection, in depth information on each Brewery, and you get some freebies if you sign up for a year long membership.

12. Is there any other good reason to buy one of these memberships for one's self? (As opposed to graciously accepting a gift of one - what the hell, free beer.)

13. It says right on that page it's $19.95 per month plus S+H.

14. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Oops...so it does! I had this link saved and a note to check price. Guess I meant to email about shipping costs.

15. This thread is why I hate living in MD.

16. What are some of the gems you received in the past? this looks great I think I will sign up.

Cheers-

RyanCave likes this.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

If I were to go the Beer of The Month Club again, it would be with either Beer On The Wall or France 44.

18. My wife got me a membership in the Rare Beer of the Month Club. I concur with the previous posts about the flexibility, and I would say the selection for the most part has been satisfactory.

19. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I'm in the MJ Rare Beer Club that has been mentioned. I feel like you have to get at least 4 bottles to make it worth it. 2 for 44.95 or 4 for around $66, this way after shipping, it comes to about $16 per bottle. And you have an extra to cellar or trade. Like others have said, the slection is usually pretty solid, and having the option to preview before buying is definitely one of the things that makes it great.

Here's a list of the last year of brews: http://rarebeerclub.beveragebistro.com/rare_selection.html

20. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Wait, you seriously searched and didn't find anything? Did you google?

I have been incredibly unimpressed with the beers shipped in the Rare club. All but I think two I've been able to get on the shelf, and very few of them have been beers I would call "good". Probably because it seems to be half saisons and I don't like saisons (and am too lazy to change my orders beforehand). I also seem to have not gotten last month's, which is kind of strange, I don't think my subscription is up.

My mom signed me up for the normal craft beer one, and that one sucks. First off, they sent Mendocino brewing to someone who lives in the bay area. Yeah, thanks for that. Second, they use this shitty-ass carrier who can't be assed to walk to my apt's complex, instead deciding to call me every goddamn month for the gate code, which then won't do anything because they won't leave the package AND I have to sign for it. It's like they think fucking everyone is unemployed. I should ask for my mom's money back, just because I am never going to get another package from them.

21. Sorry everyone, The Monthly Beer Club (Beer Society/Rathskeller) at France44 is ending. We are not taking any new members.

22. I'm a major beer geek and I tried all the beer of the month clubs out there. The best of the bunch is - www.greatclubs.com and www.rarebeerclub.com All the others are junk. Its a cool gift I give to my friends time to time.

23. SurferSam

SurferSam Initiate (15) California Jun 13, 2013

Lots of these beer clubs are the same. There are one or two shippers that ship for 90% of everyone. The best I've found is www.amazingbeerclub.com. I've been a member for almost two years and it's been good. I'm 99% sure they're the biggest which means good pricing. I also met one of their employees last year at the Great American Beer Festival who was there scouting new beers for the club. Thought it was pretty cool that they were there and he seemed like he knew his stuff. He said they were working on higher-end specialized club as well. No idea when that might happen.

24. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (960) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I think the best is the Rare Beer Club (formerly the Michael Jackson one) - definitely some of the more hard to get, unusual, and interesting beers.

Ranbot and beerepiphany like this.
  25. I just heard about this one, the High-End Beer Club. http://www.microbeerclub.com/beer-club/

I have been in contact with their CSR today and sounds like they have a solid line-up each month. I am a member of the Rare Beer Club as well, and wouldnt consider cancelling that membership, but I think I will give High-End a try as well. Only con is they dont send out the current month's line-up prior to billing, so if you don't email ahead of time and request it you might get beers you wouldnt have normally paid for.

Anyone use them?

26. Crack2000

Crack2000 Aficionado (210) Texas Dec 10, 2010

I've been very pleased with the Rare Beer Club. Went in with two other friends as 6 bottles seemed to be the magic number to get the best bang for your buck.

beerepiphany likes this.
  27. ZEB89

ZEB89 Advocate (550) North Carolina Mar 28, 2013

28. dobe12

dobe12 Disciple (60) New Jersey Dec 3, 2011

These always seemed like a major rip off to me.... but after reading through the thread and checking out all the sites mentioned, I really want to join. Just the idea of getting a box of random beers in the mail excites me! Now, which family member can I con into purchasing a membership as a gift?

beerepiphany likes this.
  29. Texachris

Texachris Aspirant (30) Texas Nov 20, 2013

Is it too hard to understand why someone who hasn't joined a beer club before might come to a place like this to get advice?

beerepiphany likes this.
  30. I received a subscription to craftbeerclub.com almost a year ago now (just about to run out!) and it's been fun, but not the way to go if you want really interesting, rare beers. I'd say that 1 out of every 8 beers or so are really impressive or interesting, everything else just seems to be the generic crowd pleasers of different breweries across the US. I do like that they include a pamphlet that gives the background and description of each brewery that you receive beers from, but I personally probably wouldn't spend the money to resubscribe for myself. Unless you live in a really secluded town, I'm sure you could go out and buy better beers for a cheaper price off the shelf than what you receive from craftbeerclub.com.

That all said, I wouldn't turn down another subscription as a gift, it's really fun to receive a big box of beer every month!

31. sgulner

sgulner Aspirant (40) Massachusetts Apr 16, 2011

I know here in MA, where we have some funky laws on the books, a lot of the good Craft Brew Stores are making there own BOTM club. Personally, my store has one with some different options (US only, Int only, both, beer geek....) and I have never been disappointed in the selection. This month included a nice bottle of DFH 75min which wasn't even put on the shelves for others. SO, try calling around to your good beer stores and see what they offer..you may be surprised...

32. Ranbot

Ranbot Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

@Hanzo, I also recommend the Rare Beer Club. I've been in the club for a few months and I'm impressed with what they've sent me. They get really unique stuff. Some brewers even produce one-time beers exclusively for the Rare Beer Club, which I doubt many other beer clubs can claim. Even the beers I could get on shelves locally I might not have thought of buying myself, or they might have had crazy mark-ups worse than the club's shipping costs. As mentioned by others, the club gives you a chance to review what they are sending and swap out selections if know you don't like a beer/style. If you REALLY like a beer they send you, they also give you the option to buy more of it through them, and/or swap out one of next month's beers for it.

FWIW, I was always skeptical of beer of the month clubs, but I think I'm going to renew this one when my initial 6-month period runs out.