1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Beer Selection in West Dover, Vermont ?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by chipndip1, Aug 23, 2013.

1. chipndip1

chipndip1 Aficionado (115) Arkansas Mar 15, 2010

My wife and I will be staying a couple of nights in West Dover for fall foliage touring and where we stay is dependent on which inn has the best tavern and beer selection. We've narrowed it down to The Hermitage, Deerfield Inn or The West Dover Inn and Tavern. Any experiences from the previously mentioned spots or maybe something better ?

2. AaronF

AaronF Aficionado (175) Connecticut Jun 23, 2012

We tend to bring our own beer... During ski season the Sation Tap Room and 1900 Burger at the Mount Sow base has a legitimate selection.

Haven't had huge luck in finding good options at the restaurants. The Last Chair was decent for beer and subpar pub food in casual atmosphere.

Drive about 30 mins to Brattleboro for decent options. Whetstone Station has been known to have HF on tap. Also take the 30 minutes drive north to Meulemans Craft Draughts. They carry Backacre Golden Sour. Worth the effort. Small bottle shop but some great options.

3. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Why not go somewhere other than W Dover? There will be dying leaves Vermont-wide in the coming months. No shortage of dying leaves in Stowe, MontyP and Burlington...

4. chipndip1

chipndip1 Aficionado (115) Arkansas Mar 15, 2010

Hey Aaron, thanks for the info on Whetstone and especially Meulemans. Looking very forward to all the great brews. Commis,we will be taking in the entire state, not just W Dover. We'll be covering the entire state over a ten day period, so Stowe, Burlington, Waterbury and the like are definitely in the travel plans, just looking at the specifics of that Southern area. Thanks.

commis likes this.
  5. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (615) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

If you don't mind staying in town Brattleboro might be an option. The Latchis Hotel is withing walking distance of 3 excellent places, The Whetstone, McNeills (a legend) and Flat Street. The 40 Putney Road B & B was very beer forward under the last owners, don't know if that continues. In West Dover you might be disappointed though The Hermitage has a nice beer and probably a couple of decent beers (Mount Snow Golf Course has Founders and DFH on tap). IMHO Southern VT is more picturesque than most other parts of the state but is beer challenged. Manchester might be another option, some nice places there.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  6. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (340) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

would be surprised if anyplace in Manchester has a better beer selection than Dover...:rolleyes: although I do prefer the scenery here in Manchester (would easily put it in top 5 New England towns for mtn scenery)

To the OP, not sure which direction you're coming into W. Dover from, but you'll probably want to stop at a bottle shop before you pull into town, either in Bennington (there are two decent ones there), Brattleboro, or Meuhlman's as mentioned previously in this thread. Either way Meuhlman's is a must stop just for the Backacre Golden Sour mentioned by aaron.

7. AaronF

AaronF Aficionado (175) Connecticut Jun 23, 2012

I like Manchester Discount Beverages. I think they have a better selection than anything in West Dover. They are on the way into town on Rte 30 if I remember. Nice selection and I thought reasonably priced.

8. I've stayed in the Latchis several times and always enjoyed my stay. For a small town, Brattleboro has no shortage of interesting restaurants, shops and bars--not necessarily all on-par with bigger cities but plenty of good stuff (and some real standouts) among them. And it's wonderful to be able to stay right in town, walk out your door and be in the middle of a small New England downtown. I'd second the Whetstone (especially if the weather's good enough to sit on the deck overlooking the Connecticut River), McNeill's and Flat Street. Also stop by Mocha Joe's for a fine cup of coffee before hitting the road in the morning. Plenty of nice shops, whether you're looking for crafts, records, books or just some food for the road, and almost all of it devoid of the touristy kitsch you might find in other small towns in the state. And if you're going for leaf peeping, then the sight of a dense (if small) New England town wedged between hills and the river with the backdrop of Mount Wantastiquet rising just across the river in New Hampshire is hard to beat.

[​IMG]

Flashy likes this.
  9. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (615) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

And the co-op has a pretty damn good beer selection, Peeper $4.99 a bottle.