1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best beer style for summer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by IPAdams, Jun 18, 2013.

1. IPAdams

IPAdams Savant (310) Illinois Jun 10, 2013

What is everyones favorite style for the summer months? Anyone have a specific brew they keep on tap during the summer? Blue moon and American IPA's are my go-to so I recently brewed a hoppy wheat beer to beat the heat.
  2. I personally prefer berliners, saisons, hoppy wheats and session pale ales. I'd make some lagers if I had the patience.
    Beerontwowheels likes this.
  3. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

I'm digging pale-ale-ish smash beers lately, and it's pretty hot here. My maris otter/simcoe smash is surprisingly good, and not too heavy for summer. It's hoppy but it's not IPA hoppy, so hops wise I reached my goal on that one. Got a vienna / cascade coming out next (if I ever get around to bottling it, that is*).

Also wheat beers hit the spot, and blonde ales in the summer. A good hoppy pilsner is always nice too, if you're doing lager yeasts (I am not at this time, but there have been some good commercial ones available on occasion). Another thing I would just dig in the summer would be a good session-ish fruity beer (whether from fruity hops or added fruit).

*been in there just over three weeks now, never take three math intensive summer classes at once. Trust me. o_O
    Smokebox_79 likes this.
  4. In my book you can't beat a hefeweizen!
    mattbk and inchrisin like this.
  5. Kolsch. Saison. If I had good temperature control, Lagers. Hefeweizen.

Pale ales and IPAs are year round beers for me. I try to always have at least one on draft at all times.
    Bobheed likes this.
  6. Saison, Cream Ale, Wit/Hefe/Weiss, Czech Pilsner. I tend away from hoppy beers during the hot weather. I prefer something wicked cold and fizzy to quench my thirst, perhaps even a bit sour (meaning that last Fall's Hefe really hits the spot! ;))
  7. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Guinness Special Export Stout.
    jlpred55 likes this.
  8. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

This summer, Summer starts here in March, I have done 3 summer versions of classic styles based on HB42's summer bitters recipe I read on BA a few years ago. It started with a petite saison using raspberry or strawberry extract at the pour. Then I took a slightly bumped up hefe and hopped it with fruity NZ hops, pitched 3068 then finished the last .030 with 3711...very refreshing, fruity/malty/tart. My latest batch is a summer-ized Oktoberfest (Junetoberfest). I left out the caramunich and subbed extra pils/mun/vie and bittered a little more than the standard Oktoberfest. I pitched 833 and it is lagering as we speak. It will be enjoyed this Sunday.
  9. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I like Pilsners and California Common's for summer. My C.C.'s taste nothing like Anchor Steam as I use no dark malts and Halertau in the finish. I still enjoy a few APA's and ESB's.
    Pegli likes this.
  10. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (310) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

I'll take APAs like Daisy Cutter, Zombie Dust and some hoppy wheats like GumballHead
  11. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (620) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I like IPA's and pales... Need to drop the abv on them probably 1-2% to really enjoy.

Summer wheats, and Blondes are a favorite though. Ones I can walk up to the kegerator, pull a glass and sling it back while I'm doing yard work.

Next year I plan to have my lagers done early, and probably a Berliner this fall to have then as well.
  12. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Hefeweizens and APAs. I love summer time because it's quicker to make the fridge beers.
  13. I have an ESB that I brew regularly that I just adore, Saison with the dry finish and nice carb go good. Anything dry really, something good and cold to quench that thirst!
  14. The beers that I have homebrewed for summertime drinking: Classic American Pilsner, Bohemian Pilsner, Kolsch, and a Wit. I will be homebrewing a Saison this summer but I have to wait a few months until White Labs releases their Saison III yeast as part of their Platinum series.

Cheers!

P.S. I wish I had brewed a Grodziskie for this summer. Maybe I will brew that beer next spring for summer drinking. You can never have too much beer to quench the summertime heat, right!?!
  15. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I like to have a Saison for sure. I also have done Hefeweisse, and Wit, sours. I am getting ready to do a Classic American Pils and a New School American Pils (same mash, noble type hops for one, Simcoe, Mosaic, and Calypso on the other) to drink in August/September when it gets really hot up here. Session IPA is always good too.
  16. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Nothing like cranking the AC in your house to 50 and trying to stay warm with heavy stouts. :cool:
    Smokebox_79 likes this.
  17. vfiend

vfiend Disciple (70) Colorado Jul 18, 2012

Hefes and my new favorite for a really hot day (haterz b damned) the Leinenkugel (spelling) Summer Shandy. I had one this last winter and it was meh. Then had it on a scorching hot day and it killed.
  18. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (620) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Since we're talking about girly beer that is.. well... I think it's a cross..

Sam Adams Porch Rocker... I was mowing one day.. dripping sweat.. Walked into the garage and had just bought the Summer Seasonal pack.. picked this up to try from the fridge, as I wanted to just slam something..

Damn thing was good... Good enough, I bought another 12'er to have another go at it. It hit the spot so well.
  19. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

I just recently brewed a citra hopped Kolsch and it is beyond refreshing. I actually plan on brewing it again next week just so I can have another batch of it before summer's over
    vfiend and kjyost like this.
  20. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (415) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

"Session IPA" All of the hoppy goodness I crave, while maintaining my ability to function. Currently drinking one tonight. 3.5 % ABV, heavily hopped with Mosaic and a touch of Citra.
    DubbelMan likes this.
  21. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

I lean towards the following in the hot summer months: kolsch, saison, fruit beer, esb, mild, small oatmeal stout, american hoppy wheat pale ale, ipa's, belgian pale ale, belgian wit, or table / session anything. haven't brewed a berliner, gose, or belgian single yet but they would work as well. I had the Von Trap Session Smoked Lager (3.5% abv I believe) in Vermont a few years ago and that was awesome!
  22. MLucky

MLucky Savant (345) California Jul 31, 2010

I usually make a helles in early summer every year, and that's my 'lawnmower' summertime beer. Hefes and saisons are good hot weather beers, too, but I can drink those pretty much any time of the year, so I don't think them as summer beers as much.