1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best beer to age for the longest time

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ddedhed, Mar 6, 2013.

1. ddedhed

ddedhed Savant (330) Ohio Dec 4, 2012

My wife and I are expecting our first child this weekend. I thought it would be a cool idea to get an ageable beer and store it for them until they turned 21. Any thoughts on if this amount of time is reasonable? If so, what beer would you suggest. I live in Ohio, so some availablility restrictions would apply. Thanks!
  2. Big congrats to you and your wife! I personally love to age barleywines and old ales but I think you should get something you really like so you can share the moment together. Looking some seekabrew it looks like you have some good options to choose from.

I toast my next beer to you...Cheers!
  3. mnphish

mnphish Savant (365) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Utopias. Congrats!
    Pecan likes this.
  4. mnphish made an excellent suggestion. 21years is a long time and I bet that would hold up well.
    Old Rasputin and Bigfoot would be something easy to obtain. If you can some Expedition Stout, that could be a good option.
  5. infi

infi Savant (455) New York Apr 4, 2009

Lambic/gueuze, Thomas Hardy's.
    claspada likes this.
  6. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Old Stock, Bigfoot, or JW Lees Harvest Ale! I find most beers that age well age best in the 1-3 year range, some up to 5, and in rare cases, up to 10, but finding something that ages well beyond that is a chore. Thomas Hardy's was the best example when they made it. It's going into production again, but I'm not sure when it'll be out. The three listed above are the ones I can think of that have the best chance of holding up that long and are readily available.
    Zimbo likes this.
  7. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Gueuze is the correct answer.
  8. ddedhed

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have some Old Rasputin, Expedition, and Oude Gueze Tilquin. Maybe try one of each and see.
  9. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

I would shy away from the stouts, they tend to fall off pretty hard after the 3-5 year mark. If you like gueze that is the correct answer, for me it would likely be a barleywine.
  10. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

This was my immediate thought after reading OP. I'll let you know how it goes in 2030.
  11. Any stout,Belgium,lambic, or brandy wine with more 9%abv should hold up pretty well. The more alcohol the better as far as inhibiting future bacterial growth. The worst thing would be aging a bottle for 21 years and finding it is infected. In many states you can serve your kids alcohol at home so get a few bottles for ages 16 and 18 too!
  12. We are having a son in April and I love this idea by the way!
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I don't think old rasputin would even make the ten year mark honestly. Twenty one years is a loooooong time for a beer to hold up, and you'll be hard pressed to get anything there with any drinkability left, however the utopias have the copious amountts of alcohol needed to get you there.
  14. De molen Hel and verdoemenis
  15. RDMII

RDMII Savant (285) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

De Molen's Bommen & Granaten, or anything JW Lee's. Thomas Hardy's or George Gale's Prize Olde are also ideal.
  16. Cambrinus

Cambrinus Disciple (50) France Mar 1, 2013

I recently taste a very old Cantillon - Lou Pepe Framboise and it was amazing. De Struise Black Damnation seems age very well and it is also true for some from De Molen. I think the set of George! Barrel aged - Mikkeller could age very well !

It's my opinion for European beers. Big congrats to you and your wife from France !
  17. for each of my boys, i have a cantillon classic gueuze with a cork date matching their birth date. on each label is a message for them, and a happy 21. although i hate growing older, popping these with my boys brings a smile to my face.
  18. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (770) California Jan 15, 2009

I love aging the gueuzes and lambics and while they do not necessarily get better (as in "they don't most of the time although still very good and I like them a lot") I agree that most stouts cannot possibly hold up as long as you want.

I'll say it; someone has to and you might as well bash me but I believe it 100% - the absolute best beer to age at the current time for that kind of age (18-21 years) is Black Tuesday. It has the alcohol and the sugar. It will hold up. (2009 is drinking better than ever right now and by OPs standard, it's still a baby.)
  19. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Whatever it is I would wax the top just to be careful and if it corked store it on its side, the cork will dry out and you will be left with an oxidized mess.
  20. ddedhed

Awesome feedback everyone. Baby boy born this afternoon. I think I will try a gueuze and a barlywine. I do have a bottle of Pentagram, but I'm not sure I want to risk it.
    ForkAndSpoonOp likes this.
  21. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I'd suggest aging a six pack, 2 bigfoot, 2 old raspy, 2 old stock. In 10-15yrs try each one and see what's holding up.
  22. rolandboy

rolandboy Savant (250) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

congrats! for my daughter's birth (6 months ago) i brewed a russian imperial stout and used oxygen barrier caps and then waxed the 22 oz. bottles. i'm planning on brewing a new batch around her birthday each year until she's 21 and giving her a bottle from every year. of course i plan on cracking open bottles and sampling the various batches throughout the years. all in the name of science, obviously.
  23. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Damn, she's gonna get smashed on her 21st birthday! ;)
  24. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Find a massive barleywine
  25. I am doing a DFH 120 IPA for my daughter, only because I had the 2011 at home already and when we took a tour, the tour guy said Sam was doing it with 120 for his kids for their 21st. Don't know if it will last but. That's all I got going. I wish I would have done the brewing idea, but unfortunately I only made a Pumpkin Saison and Pumpkin Spice Porter (October baby) for her 1st Birthday and nothing on her actual birth day.

That's fantastic!!
  26. Gueuze, Pretty much any Lambic as long as it isnt fruited