1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best beer to convert a non beer drinker. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mattyb79, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (440) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

I have been trying for some time to find a beer my wife likes. I have tried a lot of styles (milk stouts, sours, and various other not so in your face styles) to no avail. She likes wine, but mostly sweet fruity wines like moscato or dessert wines. Any suggestions on beers to try that maybe she would be into? It may be a lost cause, but I think if I could find that one beer that she likes then maybe she would be more understanding of my beer hobby (or obsession).
  2. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

ST creme brule. Hardywood GBS.
  3. if she likes wine .. New Belgium Lips of Faith - biere de grade
    FreshmanPour77 likes this.
  4. Perhaps Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. When I drank it, Two of my female friends happened to be with me and they both liked it quite a bit.
  5. Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss or Westmalle Tripel. A lot of beer drinkers try to convert wine drinkers with sours, which basically taste like spoiled wine to the latter.

EDIT: SometimesIfat replied faster.
    CoverMePorkins and Zach136 like this.
  6. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

I find a lot of women enjoy white or belgian ipas as long as they're not too hoppy and witbier too.
    xxbillay likes this.
  7. Mattyb79

Yeah, the sour try failed miserably.
  8. jupe13

jupe13 Aficionado (185) Ohio Jan 18, 2006

Try any of the lambics from Lindemans. My wife is a huge fan of peche (peach).
  9. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

for the love of God can we stop with the Beer Evangelism?

get your wife some of the best wine she enjoys and you're a hero. there is no reason anyone needs to enjoy beer the same way you do. or even enjoy beer at all. someday she might see the light. someday you may find that wine is not beer.

this question comes up quite frequently and i usually ignore it. really though, how is anyone supposed to know what beer your wife is going to like? drink your beer and smile. she doesn't like beer and it's fine.
    that is my two cents anyway.
    Cheers.
    UHCougar12, greg357, Steimie and 16 others like this.
  10. Mattyb79

I actually did let her try GBS, and she said it wasn't bad, but that is a tough one to get given the popularity and the fact that it is seasonal. I live near the brewery and could only get 2 four packs of it. Looking for something available easily and preferably year round. Thanks for the creme brûlée suggestion. Hadn't thought about any of the ST black water series.
  11. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

give them heady topper ;)
  12. NSK79

NSK79 Savant (375) Illinois Jun 4, 2012

I was going to say this too - they are very approachable, and Lindemans is a pretty easy one to find, I know there are others that are probably better but might be harder to find.
  13. I gave up trying to get my wife to find a beer she would enjoy , she says every single one tastes the same , belgium dubbel , IPA , Strong Ale , all the same to her , some people you just cant reach
  14. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

When you're done, what hobby of hers are you guys going to work on "converting" you to?

That sounds dumb when you say it out loud....
    JoeyBeerBelly and gillis like this.
  15. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (530) Florida Aug 11, 2012

Try NG Belgian Red. Had two female friends both wine drinkers who hate beer agree to try this the other evening, both raved about it.
    dmeadows likes this.
  16. People like things for myriad reasons. Same goes for their dislikes. If you've tried a bunch of beers and your wife just doesn't like it, maybe she just doesn't like beer. This is something you should have figured out before you got married, but if the problem persists then the only thing you can do is get a divorce. I'm sure you'll find a lovely, tattoo-sporting, craft-beer drinking woman at your local watering hole more suitable to your particular tastes and interests. ;)
    FLBeerGuy likes this.
  17. Rodenbach Grand Cru
  18. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Ruination? Hello....hello...
    Flight0011 and BeerSocrates12 like this.
  19. Goose Island Sofie is a farmhouse saison aged in wine barrels, perhaps have her try this one.Otherwise I'd suggest trying some gueze or lambics. Good luck!
  20. BryanK

BryanK Savant (275) New York Nov 27, 2010

any kind of shandy which is a half beer/lemonade or any kind of fruity beers like saranac blueberry or Sam Adams cherry wheat
    BenFrost likes this.
  21. endovelico

endovelico Savant (345) Portugal Jul 25, 2008

In my experience, with though non-beer drinkers sweet/fruity styles work best. Go for a low acidic Lambic or a sweet Quad (Gulden Draak for instance).

Or better yet, go for a sweet Lambic :p
  22. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Here are my conversion go-to beers:

For people who like wine, wine coolers, or fruit/sweet mixed drinks: Lindemans Kriek
    For people who like s'mores: High Water Campfire Stout
    For people who sip liquor and like maple: Utopias
    BMC: I have no idea why, but I've had the BEST luck with Zombie Dust
  23. Exactly what I came here to say. Lighter, fruity lambics have also done the trick for me too with non-beer folks.
  24. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (615) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Agree most women like the Lindeman's but at only 2.5% ABV and $10 a single bottle its a ripoff and won't help you achieve your objective (wink, wink). Get a $10 bottle of 12% wine and its much better strategy.
  25. Sam Adams Triple Bock.
    JoeyBeerBelly, Chaz and billandsuz like this.
  26. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

This sounds exactly like one of my sister-in-laws. She drinks flavored malt drinks (think Mike's Lemonade), wine so sweet that it will give you a toothache and cosmos. The only beer she has ever liked was NG Apple Pie. Maybe try something very fruit flavored to give her palette a chance to get used to beer before hitting her with anything crazy. And then take her to a beer tasting event so she can branch out to other types with no pressure to like it just because you spent money on it.
  27. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I might just start with cider, and like others have said fruity lambics. I've also noticed with my girlfriend at least, when we go to a tasting she tries everything. But at home she generally doesn't drink beer. I think the amount can be intimidating.
  28. Is she a coffee drinker? If so, I'm thinking something like Shorts Cup A Joe, which has a ton of coffee flavor but also because its a creme stout has a very smooth, sweet character that softens it up a lot..
  29. duchesse de bourgogne, the wine of beers :)
    jgluck, WickedGoodBBQ and Azzy like this.
  30. Working at a quality beer bar, I have found that suggesting sours to wine lovers usually turn out disastrous. It seems that the clean wine qualities that wine lovers prefer has no leeway for cider, vinegar, or funky notes that those beers celebrate.

Instead, ask about other flavors of things that she likes (not beer flavors, but other culinary tastes). Does she like coffee? Chocolate? Fruit? (Lindeman's fruit beers are actually really high quality- they're just very sweet and simple) Nuts? Spices? Citrus? Maple? Brisket? Pasta?... I have learned to link these flavors up to those in beer. I don't even get into terms like "hoppy", "malty", "bitter", "wine", or "beer" with the uninitiated.

I just keep things focused on the descriptor words and not talk about the common vocabulary of beer. This keeps their attention on their own taste exploration and doesn't cause them to anticipate any preconceived notions of what they're going to taste- better or worse
  31. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (575) Florida May 25, 2012

DFH Midas Touch
    Chaney likes this.
  32. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Deep Ellum Wealth and Taste
    BeerSocrates12 likes this.
  33. caseyscarb

caseyscarb Zealot (75) Dec 27, 2012

I've found Stouts and Porters are the gateway beer for some non beer people oddly enough.

Anyhow, my top advice to people that want to try more but are still having trouble finding something they like is to make sure they are drinking the beer correctly... I notice many people will hesitantly take a very small sip, then I explain to them that the actually need to take a decent size drink because it will hit their palate differently and taste better- Sure enough, they usually enjoy it more when trying this.

If she likes fruity you could try something like this-
    Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/84046

Maybe even something simpler like a Pyramid Apricot Ale?
  34. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Might be hard to get for you, but any New Glarus fruit beers might be good. Serendipity, Apple Ale, or maybe Enigma even.
  35. jb123

jb123 Savant (470) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

at our tap room in saginaw michigan it seems to be dirty blonde by atwater, which i think is trash but it sells like crazy. check them out on face book...michigan taproom. awesome place gets some limited releases, lots of tap take overs.
  36. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Hmmm. The answer to every thread lately: HEADY!!
  37. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Not for nothing, but craft beer drinkers seem to think that just because they are obsessed with craft, that everyone else has the potential to be as well. Some people cannot be converted and there's no point trying. ( I was once guilty of this myself)

Having said that, on past dates when at a bar with good options, Allagash White or other Witibiers have proven to be good options.
    RobertColianni and jgluck like this.
  38. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

Widmer Marionberry Hibiscus Gose? Or maybe Samuel Smith's Organic Apricot Ale?
  39. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Try a rasberry wheat or blueberry wheat beer. Southern Tier, Bluepoint, Seadog, etc make some decent ones.