1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best beer to convert a non beer drinker. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mattyb79, Jan 10, 2013.

1. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

Very true :)
  2. DrBrule

DrBrule Disciple (65) Michigan Jan 24, 2013

Give me heady topper!!
  3. DrBrule

DrBrule Disciple (65) Michigan Jan 24, 2013

Something on the light side either way. I'm a Michigan man so I'm biased....so maybe Oberon, or lager of the lakes etc. idk if they don't have a taste for brew it may just be a lost cause.
  4. Old Rasputin
    cjoc83 likes this.
  5. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Founders Cerise
    Leinenkugel Shandy/Berry stuff

My wife who doesn't really like beer loves these.
  6. oya1time

oya1time Zealot (95) California Dec 23, 2010

My girl likes Lindemans stuff, Peche, Pomme, and Frambois. Id have any normal jackoff try Sierra Nevada.
  7. avalonct

avalonct Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

Nice call on the Oberon. I got my wife into beer with that tasty orange sun.
  8. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Maybe something light, like a wit or a pale ale. Nothing too hoppy or too high of an abv. I remember the first time I had a Sierra Nevada Pale ale, I thought it was a hop explosion. Now I'm all about the DIPA's. Some beers that come to mind...
    Allagash White
    Magic Hat #9
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Victory Lager
    Founders Centennial IPA..more malt forward and not too bitter.
    Flying Dog Gonzo Porter
    Flying Fish ESB
    DfH Aprihop (although that's a fall offering I believe)
    Stone Pale Ale

I tended to like lighter, sweeter fruit beers when I first got into craft, so also (although I'm not too much a fan of these beers now) Ithica Apricot Wheat, Lancaster Strawberry Wheat, Magic Hat Wacko...you never know what style someone is going to take to, so I tried to provide a variety of accessible beers in varying styles. Hope this helps!
  9. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

To all you naysayers, my wife now enjoys many a hefeweizen, tripel, quad, and Belgian blonde on my account. Even better, she's now starting to get into barrel-aged barleywines and strong ales, with Backwoods Bastard acting as the gateway beer to barrel-aged stuff (and is her absolute favorite). Why just the other day, she pulled a Dulle Teve out of the fridge and enjoyed the hell out of it.

You of course can't make someone like beer. But I find that starting with weak and fruity is not a good way to go. Franzi makes a decent gateway beer to craft, but I think the better way to go is to go big. My mom loves wine and (claims that she) hates beer. I gave her a sip of Rochefort 10 and she was shocked that she actually liked it, and I think it's a beer that a wine lover would really appreciate. Show people what beer can be and they might want to give it a serious look.
  10. gueuzegeek

gueuzegeek Savant (310) New Jersey Aug 11, 2003

If they like coffee, then a coffee porter/stout is an obvious choice; that worked for my mom. I have seen wine drinkers REALLY like Victory Golden Monkey. I know the latter is a high gravity beer, but for some reason, non-beer drinkers seem to really dig it. I also agree fruity beers are a good suggestion. IF she likes champagne, you could probably hit her with a more tart lambic like Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus (sp).
  11. jatut

jatut Aficionado (130) Minnesota Jan 4, 2012

Any fruit beer from New Glarus.
    MarcusHalberstram likes this.
  12. Blah. Had this yesterday. Was not a fan
  13. Magic Hat #9. Subtle Apricot flavor. My wife's go-to craft beer. Otherwise she'd be drinking Corona lights with a lime. I buy a case and serve #9 every Thanksgiving. Everyone seems to enjoy.
  14. jelpernw

jelpernw Zealot (85) New York Dec 26, 2009

@Mattyb79 - just stopped and thought that if we're going to really help we should be asking more questions about your wife's tastes rather than just throwing ideas at you. I made a potentially off-base statement that if your wife mostly likes sweet fruity wines that she doesn't have sophisticated taste, but maybe you could talk more about her palette? Is she a real wine lover, or are these simply the wines that she picks when she has to pick something? What is her reaction to drier, more complex wine styles? How does she generally approach eating? Does she like to savor her food and seek out new tastes, or does she see it as something that you have to do but not much more. Etc.
  15. I agree that he shouldn't force it on anyone, but trying to help her enjoy his hobby is not something to frown upon. I always offer a sip up to anyone, if they refuse that's the end of that, but if they are open to give it a shot and don't like it, nothing is lost. If she looks down upon his hobby and would not do so if she understood it better, then I think he should definitely try to help her in that process.
    MarcusHalberstram likes this.
  16. dertyd

dertyd Savant (400) California Mar 23, 2010

Try shock top orange or sam adams cherry wheat
  17. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale. Its light and crisp, perfect for a BMC drinker...CHEERS
  18. give em bigfoot ale..
  19. Mascato's are not sweet, fruity wines. They're dry, sugar wines. Cheap as hell. Dessert wines are Porto, fortified, English wines from Portugal. They are everything from dry and light to thick, tannin filled messes. You have to give us a better lead or just stop buying her beer.
  20. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (385) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Women are typically more sensitive to bitter, so darker styles like bocks can be nice (so long as you can get Midwest lagers).
    As for ales, hefes are hard to beat!
    If she drinks coffee; coffee biers!
    If she loves fruit, and you can get some, New Glarus lambics are my go-to for converting the most diehard bier "haters" into lovers. NG lambics blow minds.
  21. Kunstman

Kunstman Savant (305) Wisconsin Apr 18, 2012

Right on! Of all the beers I have tried with concern to 'segway' beers on friends, sours seem to work! This is my go to. INteresting that it took me a while to fet into sours. Intesting thesis for a foor science PhD major interested in beer if you ask me. Best of luck.
  22. My Husband was lucky, I converted myself when I was looking for the perfect flavor for a beer batter. Im an ingredients person so I went on the search for the right flavor beer to make a batter with. Knowing nothing on the subject I sampled alittle bit of everything, being a lover of red wines I was sold when I discovered barley wine ales and chocolate stouts. For the batter though I was sold on Pauliner. Like how alot of flavors go, to me beer was an acquired taste and I have learned to love almost everything but sours.... I still can't get in to those... Ether way from my own personal experiences it will have to be something she wants to do and getting a response of "thats not too bad" is at least a start. You never know till you try everything.
    Reccomendations
    Hogardden Belgian-Wit
    BlueMoon
    Pranquster
    Chimay Tripple
    Allagash Curieux
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
    Old Rasputin
    Pauliner
    She may not like any of them but getting feedback of what tastes alright is a start.