1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best beer under $40 a case

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by g198569, Mar 14, 2013.

1. What is your best beer under $40 a case.
    I lean on Yards Thomas Jefferson ale to get me thru.
    What is your go to beer when your paycheck won't support a whale

2. I'm partial to fresh (under two weeks from bottling, typically) Flower Power...
    [​IMG]

Blanco, mackeyse, 2dogbrew and 3 others like this.
  3. Troeg's Perpetual IPA.

4. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Savant (475) New York Jan 13, 2012

None in the State of Long Island :(

HugeBulge, VonZipper and dar482 like this.
  5. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Savant (475) New York Jan 13, 2012

SNPA is our only chance...if it's on sale.

6. I paid $50 for a case in Philly though that was at Bella Vista.

7. Flower power is 45$ before tax around here. My under 40 case is always changing but over the last half year or so I would say Troegs Troegenator more often than any other.

8. Yeah where is that at? I've gotten it for $42 I think at its cheapest around here, and I never know when it's going to hit so getting it within two weeks of it landing is sometimes difficult but not impossible.

I got a case of two hearted for $44 after tax. I know it's not under $40 OP but to me it's close, I try to find great beer under $2/bt or $48 after tax.

9. Bottle King or, for a buck more, Joe Canal's:
    [​IMG]

10. Nice the JC's down here in SJ are a bit more : /

11. Nice price for Flower Power, Jess.

12. sly fox pikeland pils great for bbq

victory4me and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. Does a keg of homebrew count? Range anywhere from $15-$25/case... ha-ha.

14. Perpetual, Hopback, Loose Cannon, Little Sumpin Sumpin, Lagunitas IPA, Finest Kind. All right around 40 after tax in Central PA.

15. at least 75% of my case purchases fall in this category. I usually seek out smaller qty's for anything more expensive.

SN torpedo, summerfest, ruthless, and celebration
    Brooklyn BCS (think I paid 41 pre-tax back in Dec or Jan)
    Troegs perpetual, hopback, and troegenator
    Victory hopdevil, hop wallop, festbier, prima, and headwaters

16. I'll also mention Uinta Hop Notch is a great IPA for under 40$ a case.

17. I know its priced differently all over but I paid $9.59 for a sixer of SUCKS at Canals in Iselin so even with no case discount thats $38.36 for a case. Hard to find a better under $40 a case beer than that.

zekeman17, Blanco and WassailWilly like this.
  18. Picked up 2 cases of Two Hearted in the past few months for $40 and change after tax. Each case was a week old. Tough to beat that.

19. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aficionado (205) Virginia Sep 26, 2010

Zombie Dust. $35/case, tax included, from the brewery.

End of thread.

jrnyc and awdturboiv like this.
  20. good chioce, it would be nice if it were available to the mid atlantic forum viewers..

I've been on a Victory St Victorious Dopplebock kick..40.99 a case before tax.

victory4me likes this.
  21. I stopped by 3F on a drive from Philadelphia to Chicago 2 weeks ago, but there was no ZD cases to be had. Sigh. $35 for a case of Alpha King wasn't too bad though, and was easily checked on the flight back.

The original question varies by location, obviously. In Center City Philly, even Sierra Nevada rings up just a shade under $40 after tax. Most good variety packs (Victory, Troegs, etc) are about $42-$44.

My answer to the original question, sticking to the $40 limit and given location, would likely be a Saranac variety case. Summer will likely be Narragansett Summer Ale.

22. Surprised nobody has mentioned Jai Alai. $38 a case (+ tax) at Bella Vista when they have it in stock (which isn't often, but we've managed to snag a few at that price).

23. Philly Burbs ...Victory all year rounds are under $40, Uinta was $30 but is creeping to $34+, SNPA and others have gone from sub $30 to $35-38 in the last year, I stopped buying PBC after too many issues with their pale ale. They even replaced my case and the next one was bad as well. Weyerbacher is over $40, Lagunitas is over $40 and it keeps going on. I like 30 packs of PBR. The new victory saison is real nice but not sure of the case price. I bought a sixer to try it.

It gets a bit old walking into a beer distributor to only find high priced beer that is old. I have been buying lots of Sierra Nevada for $30 a case in Jersey of late. I am there so why not buy a lot. Should be buying a lot of SN Keller and Victory Swing this summer.

Thankfully I am close to the WF and Jersey

Enjoy

24. Bought a case of Sucks in MD. last week at 39.99 a case. Great deal.

25. Saw the Victory Swing Saison for $35/case. Have a feeling my fridge will be stocked with that and Summer Love all summer

26. Here in NEPA I don't think you can beat Stegmaier. Brewed right in Wilkes Barre, never more than $25 a case. Not a world beater, but I don't think you can get a better ratio of quality to value. Their amber lager is a personal favorite, and their seasonals are all really good (with their fall Oktoberfest being one of the best I've ever had.)

27. Troegs Troegenator, Leffe Brown, and Spaten Optimator (all of which can be had by me in Northeast, PA) are always well stocked in my beer fridge so my all stars don't take a hit from unworthy friends ;) or my late night drunk self.

28. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Including Storm King??

29. nineball

nineball Aficionado (130) New York Mar 19, 2013

sucks.....

/thread

30. I looked at a case of Two Hearted last week here in Philly and the wanted $49.00 plus tax

31. This was at Shangy's. I love Philly prices.

32. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Aficionado (210) Virginia Dec 27, 2011

Hoffbrau Octoberfest

33. How much are you paying for gasoline to drive to Indiana and back from anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic region that a case of $35 beer is still under $40?:D

victory4me likes this.
  34. Sly Fox Helles lager in the new cans. $30 at the brewery.

Actually, pretty much any Sly Fox is a steal at the Brewery: Helles, Royal Weiss, Pikeland Pils, Phoenix Pale Ale - All $30

35. tylermains

tylermains Savant (305) Kentucky Apr 6, 2010

My locsl Kroger is selling 6 packs of Expedition Stout at $9.99. That makes for a $40 case. They have it listed as a rotating seasonal.

36. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (265) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

My new go-to is Flying Fish Red Fish. Pretty tasty, good hop flavor, moderate ABV, only $29.

37. Just re-discovered Long trail double bagged.............30.00 a case.....at 7%,not too shabby!