1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Beer w BBQ?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Newkidroundhere, Feb 4, 2013.

1. I smoked spare ribs today for the Superbowl. Thought Lagunitas Sucks would be a good match and boy howdy was it ever?

What other beers pair well with BBQ? Or beer styles?

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  2. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

I like IPA's and Brown Ales with BBQ

3. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (380) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Any beer I enjoy seems to go good with any food I enjoy...wonder why that is? ;)

OtisCampbell likes this.
  4. The hops helped cleanse my palate from the fat and salt in the ribs/rub. The brown sugar in Sucks was a nice match for the sweetness of the rub....it just got my brain working and thought I should ask. Thought this may be an appropriate first thread as well.

5. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

6. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

I had an Odell IPA, and a Lagunitas IPA with my BBQ ribs today, and they went amazing. I also had a Narwhal with some citrus/ginger marinated goose that I shot on Friday, damn it was good.

LittleGus likes this.
  7. Fullsteam Hogwash is damn near perfect.

8. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

My go-to styles for BBQ:

Amber
    Brown
    Porter
    Stout (especially coffee stouts)

9. My go-to styles with BBQ are lagers and ales.

gshak likes this.
  10. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Stone Smoked Porter
    Surly Smoke

I liked smoked beers because they accentuate the smokiness of the BBQ.

Dizbro21 likes this.
  11. stone smoked porter

12. lwburns15

lwburns15 Aficionado (135) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Bourbon County Stout. It's been on tap for months at JD's Q & Brew in Arlington Heights for $7 for a 12 oz pour. Goes great with their brisket.

13. Chimay premiere. Didn't expect it to be so good.

14. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

15. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

When it's available, pick up some DFH Aprihop to have w/ your 'que. Very good combo.

16. dianimal likes this.
  17. koopa

I'd love to watch you have berliner weisse with BBQ and not wince....

dianimal likes this.
  18. IPAs and Rauchbiers.

19. jman005

jman005 Savant (470) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

[​IMG]
    Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter tastes great with Barbeque.

creal92, TomTwanks and mecummins like this.
  20. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

I'm not picky. Ask my husband ;)

(...and by coincidence, I did have a Berliner Weisse just last night with grilled steak and potatoes!)

21. koopa

Sounds almost as bad as pairing one with BBQ. Instead of simultaneously reducing the tasting pleasure of your meal and your drink with lackluster (I'm being kind) pairings, try reading "The Brewmasters Table" by Garret Oliver. I sincerely believe it will enhance the quality of your life!

22. Wildbug

Wildbug Zealot (90) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2005

Doppelbocks. The sweet, maltiness really pairs well with BBQ ribs.

And while rauchbiers are pretty much my favorite, I avoid them with BBQ since the smoke aromas, especially with the milder ones, tend to be easily overwhelmed by the BBQ. Why waste a rauchbier on BBQ when you can't fully appreciate it? I'd rather pair a rauch with salmon sashimi.

23. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I was just going to say this. It's perfect for a sweet & sticky sauce.

24. Hop Rod Rye

25. There's brown sugar in Lagunitas Sucks?

devlishdamsel likes this.
  26. I think i have to go with Bitburger on this one.

27. BBQ is a pretty generic reference.

My BBQ pairing would be burnt ends (no friggin' sauce)from Kreuz in Lockhart, TX with a Shiner Black Lager.

Closer to home, some brisket from the Prohibition Pig and a Hill Farmstead Edward.

28. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

I don't know how some of you do smoked beers with BBQ. That's just too much smoke for me. lol

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  29. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Is this like the new holiday spice in Celebration joke?

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  30. BeerCity

BeerCity Aspirant (35) California Mar 6, 2013

Hot day while cooking Allagash white! unita Baba black for eating. And it's a great brine for chicken

31. I have to disagree with the recommendations for IPAs and Smoked beers. Smoked beer with smoked meat seems redundant, flavor-wise. I'm not sure what either would do to enhance the other. And I don't feel like the IPA really compliments any of the flavors that make barbecue food so wonderful. In my opinion, I aim for bittersweet to malty-sweet Brown Ales, Porters, etc., and some darker Scottish Ales. All of those have nice caramelized flavors that pick up on the wonderful caramelization of the meat, compliment the spices used (if any) nicely, and work well with any of that smokey, charred flavor.

For sweeter BBQ foods, like pulled pork, it's hard to top Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale. For char-grilled meats, I like Orkney Dark Island or Sam Smith Taddy Porter. Edmund Fitzgerald and Weihenstephan Korbinian are superb with smokier, meatier dishes.

Anywho, just a few ideas.

32. Bells Black Note on draft!

egrace84 likes this.
  33. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

A hoppy citrusy type beer really pairs well with the bbq. hops shine through the smokeness and sometimes heavy sauce also refreshes the palate too.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  34. I am in total agreement regarding smoked beers and BBQ --- it's just too much.

And I almost never --- well, really never --- suggest an IPA as a complement to any pairing. And I certainly would never think of a hoppy IPA as a palate cleanser, more like a palate wrecker. But in this case, an IPA can stand up to my BBQ. My BBQ is fatty and smoky. I am a dry rub only guy, using sauce only as a condiment. Fatty foods like BBQ, cheeseburgers, pizza, etc. can hold up to even the hoppiest of IPAs IMHO and I often drink IPAs with BBQ. But with that said, I find not-too-hoppy pales, pilsners, ambers, wheats, and browns to be the best beers with BBQ.

35. I agree w/ this wholeheartedly w/r/t smoked beers, and THOUGHT I felt this way w/r/t/ IPA'S and IIPA's, but just recently had a couple of Sucks w/ some of my own hickory/oak/pecan smoked pulled pork and it was fantastic, just as (and for the same reasons) Newkidroundhere said.

previously I would have probably had a Marzen/vienna lager/Oktoberfest, or even a doppelbock or Maibock. I get tired of brown ales and porters with every roasted or grilled meat but that seems to be the default pairing and (it's been a long time since I read it, the sommelier at Eleven Madison Park currently has my copy) I'm pretty sure Brewmaster's Table goes that way a lot--and I sure ain't arguing w/ Garrett Oliver! (or you)

36. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I took the family to a local BBQ place for lunch today. I had a Lost Rhino Ice Breaker Imperial IPA along with my pulled pork sandwich topped with some spicy BBQ sauce. I thought the pairing was a pretty good one.

woodchopper likes this.
  37. brewmandan

brewmandan Aficionado (160) Iowa May 10, 2010

I like an amber or a red with my bbq.

38. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

No love for Ryes? Just finishing one off and wondering why it was was conspicuosly absent from the conversation?

Maybe you can't cook with a Ruthless Rye, but you sure can pair one with some BBQ!

39. egrace84

egrace84 Champion (845) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

You read my mind! That was the perfect beer w/ the bbq that day!

40. I want to relive that meal with a black note & more brisket! YEAH BUDDY!