Dismiss Notice
Microbrew Invitational
Join us June 3 + 4 in Boston and help us drink 300+ beers, ciders, kombuchas, meads, sakes and more!

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Best Beer w BBQ?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Newkidroundhere, Feb 4, 2013.

1. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Champion (830) Illinois Nov 28, 2008 Beer Trader

I want to relive that meal with a black note & more brisket! YEAH BUDDY!

2. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Champion (830) Illinois Nov 28, 2008 Beer Trader

Didnt even think of a rye beer. Thats a great option too I bet. never paired one up with bbq yet.

3. BSzucs

BSzucs Zealot (75) California May 15, 2011

Totally agree. Saying "BBQ" is WAY too broad. Not only are there tons of different foods that can be BBQ'd a variety of ways, they can also have different spice rubs etc! Is BBQ a hot dog, smoked ribs, smoked brisket, or my carne asada tacos? lol!

As for my favorite pairing, I tried this last month and really liked it. I did a filet Mignon from whole foods and a Blue Chimay.

4. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Savant (405) Texas Feb 16, 2012

Amen!

5. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Advocate (610) Washington Mar 9, 2008 Verified

False --- BBQ and grilling are different. BBQ is smoking meat low and slow.

Hot dogs and your carne asada tacos are grilled. Smoked ribs, smoked briskets, etc. (regardless of rub) are BBQ.

6. BSzucs

Regardless if I lumped in BBQ and grilling, BBQ is STILL too big of a category to *always* enjoy the same beer with. I knew they were different categories, but the average person will consider them the same category, unless you're an avid BBQ and griller.

I can smoke brisket, pork shoulder, a ham, a turkey, etc - most of which will have pretty drastically different flavor profiles before the spice rub; add the spice rub and it is even more of a variety of tastes.

Hdredfern likes this.
  7. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Advocate (610) Washington Mar 9, 2008 Verified

We are agreed --- no single style of beer matches with the diversity of BBQ. Cheers.

8. BSzucs

Plus.. how do you know I am not slow smoking my carne asada!!

haha!

Cheers!

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  9. Genuine

Genuine Advocate (525) Connecticut May 7, 2009 Verified

I love brown ales and porters with BBQ. The roasty, nutty flavor of those beers can really pair well with the smoked meat.

10. It's all about that scotch ale. Very malty, semi sweet, and complex. Compliments all of the best smoked polishes, brisket, and pork.

11. mbratt93

mbratt93 Savant (260) New York Aug 1, 2014 Verified

I always like an IPA or Brown Ale with my BBQ

12. Bigrock

Bigrock Aficionado (150) Texas Feb 4, 2013

Hmmm...seem to be in the minority here, but a crisp cold pils does it for me.

red94tt likes this.
  13. RCongdon974

RCongdon974 Aficionado (160) Nevada May 5, 2016 Verified

I like pale ales with BBQ.

14. Scott17taylor

Scott17taylor Champion (815) Iowa Oct 28, 2013 Beer Trader

Brown ales compliment the smokiness well. I also like to pair saisons with most foods, tropic king is a great food pairing beer.

15. jfcook90

jfcook90 Aficionado (130) Alabama Jul 8, 2015 Beer Trader

a good hoppy pale is my fav.... typically doing ribs, pork tenderloin on the Egg. Any other egg heads on here?