1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Beer w BBQ?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Newkidroundhere, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Didnt even think of a rye beer. Thats a great option too I bet. never paired one up with bbq yet.
  2. BSzucs

BSzucs Zealot (75) California May 15, 2011

Totally agree. Saying "BBQ" is WAY too broad. Not only are there tons of different foods that can be BBQ'd a variety of ways, they can also have different spice rubs etc! Is BBQ a hot dog, smoked ribs, smoked brisket, or my carne asada tacos? lol!

As for my favorite pairing, I tried this last month and really liked it. I did a filet Mignon from whole foods and a Blue Chimay.
  3. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Savant (395) Texas Feb 16, 2012

Amen!
  4. False --- BBQ and grilling are different. BBQ is smoking meat low and slow.

Hot dogs and your carne asada tacos are grilled. Smoked ribs, smoked briskets, etc. (regardless of rub) are BBQ.
  5. BSzucs

Regardless if I lumped in BBQ and grilling, BBQ is STILL too big of a category to *always* enjoy the same beer with. I knew they were different categories, but the average person will consider them the same category, unless you're an avid BBQ and griller.

I can smoke brisket, pork shoulder, a ham, a turkey, etc - most of which will have pretty drastically different flavor profiles before the spice rub; add the spice rub and it is even more of a variety of tastes.
    Hdredfern likes this.
  6. We are agreed --- no single style of beer matches with the diversity of BBQ. Cheers.
  7. BSzucs

Plus.. how do you know I am not slow smoking my carne asada!!

haha!

Cheers!
    BuckeyeOne likes this.
  8. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

I love brown ales and porters with BBQ. The roasty, nutty flavor of those beers can really pair well with the smoked meat.