1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best beer you had at KBS?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Orchids, Mar 11, 2012.

1. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

In line I tried:
    Bells Black Note
    Brooklyn Black Ops
    Half Acre Baume
    FFF Zombie Dust
    '10 DFH World Wide Stout
    a homebrew milk stout
    and a few barleywines that I don't really remember.

And inside the Sumatra Mountain Brown

Of the bunch the only beers that I want more of are the Black Note and Sumatra, and thanks to paslaugh I have six more Zombie Dust in the fridge.

2. stevedem

stevedem Zealot (80) Michigan Jul 27, 2010

Last year it was still on tap on the Monday after. I think it should be up for a while still.

3. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Here's to hoping. Got Tuesday off and will be there.

4. adamdd

adamdd Savant (330) Michigan May 9, 2011

It was a great time in line, and I got to share a lot of great stuff. My favorites:
    • Cantillion Classic Gueze
    • Cuir
    • Double Daisy - A nice change up from all the big beers
    • 2010 Black Ops - Surprisingly good
    • Black Tuesday
    • Peruvian Morning
    • Bourbon Fred
    Once inside, the BA Sumatra Brown and Frangelic Mountain Brown were incredibly good. Hopefully one of these makes it into a Backstage bottle down the road.

5. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

Yep, it was the most recent sour they released. Still a few bottles on shelves around here that managed to hit distribution, probably because of the price tag (~$25). Hope the pub has KBS on for ya still on Tuesday. Thought it was a touch hot on Saturday, but it was still damn good.

6. 6footpete

6footpete Zealot (90) Michigan Oct 2, 2011

This pretty much sums up my highlights from outside. BA Sumatra inside was amazing.
    I'll add FFF Zombie Dust and Half Acre Baume (thanks Orchids!).
    There were a couple others that were passed around that I never caught the name of (or just plain forgot...) that stand out, but I may never know what those were. Should have taken better notes.

7. GRBrew

GRBrew Savant (295) Michigan Jan 12, 2009

Wow. Thanks for the love. I wish I had brought more sours with me and had brought the bourbon barrel flanders. Maybe this weekend I will bottle some more and can start sending some out.

8. Dael5859

Dael5859 Aficionado (145) Ohio May 29, 2011

Agreed. I was really happy with all of the BCS variations, especially the Bramble from Titus (once Kyle's begging & pleading finally won him over). Looking back over the list from our group (we were 304-310), it was a pretty stellar tasting.

9. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Did you write everything down? If so could you BM me that list? I cant remember some of the ones we had

10. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

BA Sumatra, KBS and Frangelic Brown on tap all were outstanding.

Black Note, '11 Black Tuesday, '11 Kate, '11 Fou and all the other crazy beers we cracked within an hour of getting our KBS allotment. It was a crazy good day.

11. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

zombie dust blew my mind right off the bat, then BCBCS did the same thing. the only beer I didn't get to try that I really wanted to was heady topper, sigh... oh well I guess theres always next year!

12. TATURBO

TATURBO Savant (285) Illinois Oct 1, 2008

I second this opinion big time. AMAZING! Side by side KBS wasn't even close IMO.

13. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I had a ton of great beers, but the big surprise for me was the 04' Bigfoot.

Whoever it was that gave me that pour, I certainly appreciated it.

14. GRBrew

That was me. Your're welcome.

raymo55 likes this.
  15. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Popskull or poppaskull? I just wanted to clarify becuase popskull was so damn good!! Wish it made more than just once

16. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Oh man. I also forgot about the '04 Bigfoot. That was awesome. Thanks so much for the pour. Makes me want to lay one down right now for about 8-10 years.

There was so much good stuff, that it really is tough to remember who poured what. Fantastic camaraderie.

17. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

I think you may have given my boyfriend and I a taste of one of your sours as well. It was amazing, so if it was you, thank you!

GRBrew likes this.
  18. GRBrew

Could have been me. I was walking around with a growler of my sour cherry brown ale and also a couple of bottles of that beer blended with an oaked amber. Things started to get a little foggy after a while.

19. GRBrew

I'm not sure where you are located but I have a couple more bottles and am in Grand Rapids.

20. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Black Tuesday, hands down

21. rogueleonardi

rogueleonardi Initiate (0) Ohio Jan 4, 2012

Westy 12, thank you Joe (or John) the stranger.

22. founder26

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also BCBCS no pic though.

23. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

Had an awesome time with a group of Chicagoians in front of us and behind us who were very generous in sharing.

Favorites in Order:

-Bourbon County Vanilla
    -King Henry
    -Bourbon County Coffee
    -Zombie Dust
    -Abacus
    -KBS '11
    -Parabola
    -Blushing Monk

24. founder26

man you know what sucks, im pretty sure my bottle of nugget nectar that you traded me got stolen, I had it in my cooler and it was gone when I check it saturday afternoon. its all good though because I sampled some, and didn't really care for it.

25. cpmichael

cpmichael Aficionado (240) Indiana Oct 31, 2006

Avery's BA Meretrix. That beer blew me away. Flemishmish was a great beer to start off with. BA Plead the 5th, BCBS Coffee '11, '08. Worst beer of the day: Weyerbacher's Idiot's Drool, cracked the bottle open, 2 sips, then poured it into the bushes...awful beer, awful, awful awful.

Mark000 likes this.
  26. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

Hey, we might have been the guys in front of you. We had the white folding table and green propage grill. I remember pouring some King Henry to some guys behind us. Another from our group brought the 4D. Big thanks to those Detroit area guys for introducing me to Kuhnhenn.

27. TotallyHosed

And I think we were a few spots in front of you (we had the upper 430's). I'm thinking you're the guy that placed a bottle of Gilgamesh on our table. Either way, I really enjoyed it.

28. TotallyHosed

Finally, huge thanks goes to MisterHops for the pour of M3. I won't forget that one.

29. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

If you were one of the guys making up those Chicken-meat-ball things, then THANK YOU!

I was with Misterhops, pouring the BA Owd Engwish while he was pouring that Melange #3 (which was certainly awesome.... you're right about that!)

30. The 04 Kuhnhenn 4d bottle may have been ugly, but it was still pretty tasty.

31. Dael5859

Dael5859 Aficionado (145) Ohio May 29, 2011

Check your beermail. I copied everything from my Untappd page...it has to be close to a complete list for the day.

32. Dcv

Dcv Aficionado (240) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

I also really liked Arck Angel, thank you for the pour.

I was a little disappointed in the 2010 BB Plead The Fifth, and the Morningwood from Odd Side that I opened was infected.

I got to try a few Russian River beers thanks to the folks from Pennsylvania that were next to me in line.
    I was also able to try Big Black Voodoo Daddy and Black Magick from Voodoo Brewing Company. All great beers that I would not have gotten a chance to try if I did not go to KBS day.

Edit: I also had a BA Sumatra Brown and thought it was a very good beer.Hopfully I get to try Sumatra Brown when I have not been drinking for the previous 7 hours.

33. psykosis

psykosis Savant (320) Indiana May 21, 2009

Popskull. It was a 2009 bottle I think. A collaboration between FFF & DFH.

Grohnke likes this.
  34. awdturboiv

awdturboiv Advocate (520) Indiana May 24, 2008

Hey...those look familiar!

35. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Son of a, who cracked the 2011 Kate?!
    The 2004 Bigfoot was tasty. That is crazy to find that in a store.

36. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Had a pour of the Columbus Bodhi Double IPA the night before that was really freaking tasty but the Sumatra Brown had one of the best aromas IMO and was a huge surprise and made any other coffee beer I've tried smell and tasted weak.

37. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (665) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Favorite beers of the day: Rare Bourbon County, Fou Fone / Black Tuesday black and tan, Perfect Storm 2009, Jackie O's Maple Bourbon Stout (name?), Upland Gilgamesh, Captain Lawrence Barrel Select Black.

Least favorite beer of the day: Big Sky Kriek (why Jeff why?)

Lots of great stuff being shared by everyone though, and seeing folks being super psyched to try stuff that my group or friends brought was enjoyment enough.

Cheers!

38. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Bourbon Barrel Middle of Nowhere

39. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (665) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Thank you Mark, and thanks to the guys behind myself and Imperialking in line who shared that one. Was really surprised how impressive that one was, one of the best Jackie O's beers I have had so far.

40. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Word up. That was one of the favorites of the last release. But it was no Cuvee 6 :)