1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best beer you've ever had.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BottleCaps80, Jan 27, 2013.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I've had a LOT of beers in my life, but I don't think any beer has topped this yet. Love Buzz from Anchorage Brewing. Holy. Shit. Ammmmmazing beer right here. Sour. Crisp. Floral. Woody. Bretty funk. Clean. Perfect buzz.

This is my first introduction to Anchorage and holy hell....this is already the best beer I've ever had.

[​IMG]
    Spaten454, ejl4, JonnyBeers and 8 others like this.
  2. BottleCaps80

The grapefruit in this is spectacular.
  3. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

Let the boasting insue....
  4. My first homebrew that i opened tonight.

With all the work and nervousness i had in this beer, and the research done to find a good recipe. I am so happy with how it turned out. It was also great sharing the first bottle with family I had over as well. It came out EXACTLY how i wanted it to.

[​IMG]
  5. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (585) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

6. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Best beer as in highest rated or best beer as in most enjoyed?

My highest rated is Heady Topper, and that's definitely up there for sheer enjoyment. Quite possibly the most intensely enjoyed beer I've ever had.

That said, the enjoyment I got out of Ommegeddon way back in 2008 will always stick with me . . . and a couple of saisons have just been shit-kicking fantastic—Cellar Door fresh, Sofie when it's on point, etc. Also the enjoyment that I got out of Palate Wrecker last year far outweighs the actual rating it got in my review. I felt like an addict with every sip.
    Lordkrystic and Lantern like this.
  7. BottleCaps80

No. I was thinking ratings aside.
    fmccormi likes this.
  8. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Ah. Well all of my above-mentioned beers remain in contention :)

But all in all . . . probably Heady.
    Squidly and jglowe77 like this.
  9. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

If you're talking about the 2009 version before it was ever bottled... I couldn't argue with that.
    westcoastbeerlvr and cavedave like this.
  10. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (575) Florida May 25, 2012

ratings aside, Alaskan Perseverance Ale on tap, bottled would be Moat Water.
  11. j47paco

j47paco Savant (310) California Dec 19, 2010

KRBC Citra. First time I ever had it. Blew my mind! My friend and I brought back 8 growlers of the stuff.
    semibaked and cavedave like this.
  12. Didn't know how to answer your question, so I took a peek at my handy work. According to my reviews, Kuhnhenn BBBW is my highest rated brew out of over 1100. Therefore, Kuhnhenn BBBW is the absolute best beer in the entire goddam universe...
    Squatchito, TheBandit1 and jacob4999 like this.
  13. I'm still waiting.
  14. Bottled: Bourbon County Coffee
    Tap: Apple Brandy Hunahpu

Can you tell I love stouts?
  15. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I've only tried a little more than a thousand or so, but so far I think my favorite beer style is IIPA and my favorite beer in that style is Kern Citra.
  16. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

CBS or King Henry. Had the King again tonight at a tasting. Wow. It was all downhill for there.
    josephwa likes this.
  17. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Deschutes The Abyss.
  18. This is a baseless thread. Best beer you've ever had can go down to the season, your company and your location. I can't honestly choose one beer as being the best beer I've ever had.
    Lordkrystic and fredmugs like this.
  19. since i prefer stouts and porters,i like samuel smith's organic choc. stout the best.very smooth,natural milk chocolate aroma and taste.has a hint of roasted coffee.
    saburky likes this.
  20. Hard to say but the first Cantillon Kriek I ever had comes to mind. I didn’t know anything about lambic nor even that they existed, the bottle I had purchased was a year and a half old & the cork was wet and fell apart. It smelled sour & I was afraid that it might have gone bad. The taste was incredibly (& still is) and I remember thinking – I really hope that this is not infected because if it tastes like this infected, I can never taste anything this awesome ever again :)
  21. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Based on my ratings. Not that I'm surprised;
    Aventinus
    Backwoods Bastard
    John Barleycorn-Bourbon Barrel Aged
  22. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

KBS. Pretty much every time I have it, it becomes the best beer I've ever had.
  23. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Can't name just one:
    BB Vanilla Dark Lord
    Bourbon Fred
    Kentucky Dark Star
    '10 BCBS as it's drinking now
    Fou' Foune
    Younger
  24. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

My first Heady Topper on tap at the Prohibition Pig, absolutely stunning after a long drive to get there. The first Abrasive was pretty damn good too, really a well done DIPA, fully as good as HT in the can.
    Drtfinelli likes this.
  25. GI King Henry
    IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  26. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I agree with this top the extent that I'm still exploring new beers and a lot beers that I love I've only had once so I'm not sure I can say which one I like best. When I first tried Hopslam it was my favorite beer until I had many other world class DIPAs and now I think it's too sweet.

I would love to dirnk Pliny, Alpine Duet, Double Jack, and Double Trouble side by side.
  27. Brandy Vanilla Dark Lord hands down for me.
  28. HF Edward knocked my socks off. It's not the most complex or overwhelming beer I've ever had, but it is exactly what I want beer to taste like. I haven't experienced any other HF IPAs, so who knows how I might feel about Abner, Susan, etc, but MAN can Shaun Hill brew a beer.
    frankthetank86 and Horbar like this.
  29. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Advocate (560) Florida Feb 6, 2007

What kind of beer is it?
    Horbar likes this.
  30. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

At this point in my life, just a smidge over 3 years drinking craft, it was Sam Adams Barrel Aged Tripel, or possibly Allagash Curiex. Incredible stuff. Although its tough to say. Id have to think on this some more, those two are just off the top of my head.
    LostTraveler likes this.
  31. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

My first SN Pale Ale 20 years ago. It was my first non BMC and my first day living in Chico. An incredible lightbulb moment.

Edit: not really the best, but the most memorable.

32. Its darkened and reddened by the crappy lighting i had, but its a 6.5% german style hefe. The banana and clove taste is off the charts. not too much though. perfect for the winter :)
    Hermthegerm likes this.
  33. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

If we're going strictly off ratings then it's Rare for me.

Others that come to mind are Duvel, '09 BCBS, Beat, Iris...
    dachshunddude86 and BlastBeats like this.
  34. Bourbon Barrel Plead the 5th. Kate Upton in a bottle.
  35. KAP1356

KAP1356 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2009

If I had to pick a "best beer" based on my own personal taste and personality, then I would have to pick Goose Island King Henry. But, if I had to pick what I though was the "best beer" in terms of an overall, well crafted, beer, I would have to choose Trappist Rochefort 10.
  36. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

The Bud I was drinking back in the dorm room with Anna Marie Meyers back in 92.
    mcrago, jlordi12, themind and 9 others like this.
  37. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Trying to think how to answer this.

If we are talking favorite beer in terms of singular experience...my first bottle of Epic's Big Bad Baptist was truly one of my favorite nights of drinking. I was fortunate to get a bottle where there was some great, noticeable whiskey barrel influence going on, and it was my first beer with super strong coffee beans and cocoa nibs as ingredients. Absolutely loved it and one of those experiences where I couldn't get that beer out of my head for weeks. For someone who never repeat purchases bombers, I bought a ton of that beer this past season as a result. Always great drinking experiences, but none ever as good as that first one. I would definitely put that beer in my Top 10 (maybe even Top 5) but wouldn't consider it my favorite beer overall. But that one experience, very possibly.

If we are talking favorite beer in terms of overall, like if you were stuck on a deserted island and would be guaranteed you would never burn out on a single beer what would I choose? Founders Breakfast Stout or Funkwerks Monarch, depending if I was in a dark or light mood at the time of choosing. Probably FBS.
  38. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (585) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Haven't had it in bottle yet but was lucky enough to have it on tap twice. Amazing! You're extremely lucky to have had it so early :)
  39. dianimal

dianimal Savant (420) California Apr 18, 2012

So far, it was Enjoy By 09.21.12. And I'm not a loyal follower of Stone, but I thought this was really good. I am also enjoying Lagunitas Sucks, as well as one I tried yesterday, Rough Draft's Session IPA.