Best beer you've ever had.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BottleCaps80, Jan 27, 2013.

1. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (300) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

Hmmm....that's a tough one because there's many beers I truly love. I really like KBS and Heady Topper (I know...total opposites). Believe it or not, I had my first DFH 90 min the other day and really enjoyed that. I'll re-affirm Heady since I'll be doing a flight of IPA tomorrow with a friend.....

Heady Topper
    PtE
    DFH 90 Min
    Lags Sucks
    Boulevard Double Wide

2. aorloski

aorloski Savant (380) Massachusetts Oct 11, 2010

a 1994 Thomas Hardy's

3. The first beer at the end of my work day. I think that's a valid answer.

RandyV and acevenom like this.
  4. Is that you Steve? ;)

...Recently had a fellow beer enthusiast say the same thing.

5. [​IMG]

The best beer I've ever had would be a tie among King Henry, '09 Lou Pepe Kriek and a couple others.
    But Adam would probably be my favorite beer because of the relationship I'm developing with it.

6. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Difficult to answer. Possibly Stone 13th Anniversary Ale. My first Pliney the Elder is another candidate. Maharaja Batch 9 was also incredible.

7. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

I hope my first brew, which is in the secondary now comes close to this result.

8. Hill Farmstead Society and Solitude, #5

Best I've had, and it's not close.

frankthetank86 likes this.
  9. KBS 11' on tap
    Heady Topper on tap
    HF Double Galaxy on tap.
    blew my mind all three times:eek:

10. Sam Adams Utopias. Old Stock 09 (this year). Gotta lovel the Duval!

11. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (305) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

Fou' Foune no doubt,

probably followed by Bells Bourbon Batch 9000, Dark Horse Bourbon Monster 29, Dark Horse Bourbon Plead the Fifth, RR Beatification, and 3F Sharbeekse Kriek. Heady Topper too. Second place is tough but

Fou' Foune no doubt!

luwak likes this.
  12. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Difficult to narrow down a best, but I found LaCumbre Elevated IPA to be a near flawless IPA, in my opinion.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  13. Would have to say King Henry is the best to date followed by a bunch of stuff tied for second and third.

14. Inglewood

Inglewood Savant (405) Illinois Jan 28, 2013

I have to say when Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest is around, I have to grab some.Also Augustiner Brau Edelstoff,New Belgium Snow Day,Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA, & Wurzburger Pils are really good.

15. 2006 abyss
    Hunahpu
    The wanderer
    Compunction
    Maple tripple
    Silva stout

16. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

BA Vanilla DL

17. cpz28

cpz28 Aficionado (195) Indiana Dec 31, 2007

I have a few:

1) Bourbon County Rare...Yes, believe the hype (regular Bourbon County is second only to this)
    2) Hop Stoopid circa 2008... I had this on draft in Chicago in 08 at the Maproom and it was bigger in ABV and the had most incredible hop aroma/flavor of any beer I've ever had to this day in my life. It's still great now, but not the same.
    3) Barrel Aged Owde English from FFF...Just an incedible merger of beer and barrel
    4) Haymarket Indignant...This one is as close to a Borboun County killer as they come.
    5) 08 Darklord with 1-2 years on it...I really am not trying to open the DL can of worms, but to me personally, this was the last year DL was a beer that lived up to the hype and was the best vintage. To each their own though.

18. Fou foune
    Wanderer
    BAVDL
    KH
    Beatification
    Fresh CBS
    KBS 12 fresh
    Citra
    Younger
    St. Lam

19. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

My only 5/5. 3F Armand Lente. Perfection.

Cheers!

20. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (475) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

Devil Dancer? I drank one and traded the rest for some Schlafly Pumpkin. For me, DD was the most disappointing beer I've ever had.

21. I will always remember the first time i had Hopslam. Got my draft and literally giggled when i smelled it.

22. DOUBLE GALAXY

mikecharley likes this.
  23. Cannot not possibly narrow it down to one beer. Here is a short list of some all time favs(no order):

Pliny
    Framboise for a Cure
    La Folie
    The Dissident
    Bourbon County Brand Stout
    Indian Brown Ale
    Sculpin

24. Shakory

Shakory Aficionado (175) Wisconsin Jan 10, 2013

hmm favorite overall is to hard to decide, i drink alot of IPA's and DIPA's so probably Pliny, i can drink that stuff all day, surly abrasive is a close runner up

hwy395 likes this.
  25. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Bourbon Barrel Suge Knite from Boneyard kind of melted my face when I tried it, un-fuckin-real. According to the dude working the taproom at Boneyard that day, the batch I tried was the first runnings of Suge Knite aged in barrels....15% alcoholic chocolate milk. Chardonnay barrel aged Black 13 from Boneyard was also phenomenal......damn that was a great weekend in Bend.

26. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Well.fucking.played my friend. I don't care what beer it is, but nothing beats this beer. Best response ever.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  27. Rochefort 10. Simply an outstanding beer in all respects.

jglowe77 likes this.
  28. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Jesus, how big is your walk in?

29. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

A few choices from Ommegang in this thread. Had a 2010 Gnomegang at Brouwers a few weeks, so freaking good.

30. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

I found a few bottles of this lingering in gift packs over the last year - wow, so good. Tried the new release on draft - blech! Seems like a different beer and I haven't bought any bottles of the new version to age.

31. themind

themind Savant (475) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

After moving into a new home and unloading all the trucks we stopped at a local bar. The first Guinness went down like I had just traveled the Sahara.

32. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

All of their line (that I've had (maybe 4?)) have been exceptional.

Can't contribute a "favorite" for your thread though, I'd need to go individually through the styles and maybe identify a favorite from each style, but that's a little too exhaustive for me to do right now!

33. backwoods bastard

matthewalee likes this.
  34. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

1993 Courage Russian Stout. Or was the 1977 vintage better? One of those two.

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I had 3 of them from the 70s and the 1976 reigned supreme. It could be because it was cellared better..I don't know.

36. surly abrasive so far...it was hopslam before i tried this years batch...its not the same tasting beer as it was in prior years.

37. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I've had Pliny maybe 5 times but the last time the aroma on it just invaded my entire body. Even the next day at work I could still smell it in my mind.

38. Ayinger Oktoberfest

bifrost17 likes this.
  39. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I've not had many from the 1970's. Other than the ones I drank in the 1970's. They were much too young.

40. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Yeah, I had the recent release of the Courage. Not nearly as harsh as some suggested it would be and I was super interested in trying it fresh but, I *would* put it in the too young category. Time will tell if it's a brew in the same league as it's older kin.