1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best beer you've ever had.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BottleCaps80, Jan 27, 2013.

1. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (200) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

The single best beer I ever had was a Founder's Double Trouble on guest tap at Three Floyds a few years back.
  2. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (370) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

I'd have to go with KBS. It was one of the first craft beers I have had and I was absolutely blown away...A true eye opening experience into the craft beer culture!

But talk about setting the standard high haha!
  3. rdharrison

rdharrison Aspirant (25) Alabama Jan 31, 2013

Thomas Creek Octoberfest Lager. Made both me and my wife--who have fairly disparate tastes in beer--say "Wow, that's amazing."
    GrizzWranglin likes this.
  4. Augustiner helles lager, directly from the brewery - everything a beer should be.
    patto1ro likes this.
  5. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

One of the most satisfying beers I drank last year was an Augustiner Helles. Amazing stuff when served Bayerischer Anstich.
  6. endovelico

endovelico Savant (345) Portugal Jul 25, 2008

Gulden Draak is my choice, completely changed my views on beer (even if at the time i was pretty much into craft beer.)
    VonWeissenheimer likes this.
  7. Agreed, it's the only way to have it, though right now i would take a bauarbeiterhalbe....i shall have to wait until Oktoberfest.
  8. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Are the recent releases worth while or are they a shell of their former selves so to speak? Would be fun to try a British RIS for once, but the price tag is rather prohibitive.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  9. Heady, Pliny, Double Citra and Zombie Dust are my favs depending on mood.
    [​IMG]
  10. simonpeter

simonpeter Disciple (70) Wisconsin Mar 31, 2011

Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine
  11. PtY so far
    A-
  12. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Advocate (550) Florida Aug 1, 2012

I would have to go with either Odell Red Ale or Odell IPA. They're both perfect in their styles, a little extra hoppy, but highly sessionable. The ease of drinking with the unbelievable tastes makes these my favorites.
  13. KYzac

KYzac Aficionado (115) Kentucky Jun 27, 2009

Not sure, but a few that are up there:

Heady Topper
    KBS
    BCBCS
    BCBVS
    Anchorage Love Buzz/Galaxy/Bitter Monk
    Westy XII/Rochefort 12
  14. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

"Most Enjoyed" may be the best way to approach this question. In that context, it's a tie for me. The first stout I ever had, way back when I first got into craft, was Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout. I had no idea that beer, or any beverage, could taste like that! Of course I've had "better" beers since, but as far as a singular experience goes, that really can't be topped, except for when I got a 2005 Growler fill of Stone IRS in 2010; That was, in terms of experience and flavor, the most fun I ever had drinking in my life.
  15. hopswap1

hopswap1 Savant (365) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

I'd say its a toss up between my first bcbcs last year and king henry last month. both of them exceeded the hype to me
  16. Hana not big enough. Kegs three deep and two high with about a 6 inch walk way to stock 22oz bottles. It gets pretty hairy when you need a keg out of the far back corner. All in all our walk in has 10 doors worth of 22s.
  17. Apple Brandy Hunahpu out of a growler last year split with my friend MiamiLice for my bday was far and away the finest beer I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

Vanilla Bean DL is definitely way up there as is the King.
  18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Get some if you can! As to being a shell of their former selves, we won't know that until the latest batches have, what, 30 to 40 years on them?
    Crusader likes this.
  19. Molson Ice
    yamar68 likes this.
  20. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Yeah Midnight Sun is/was like the best brewery in the world and this guy is destined for great things as Anchorage Brewing.
    Love Buzz is pretty awesome but actually i thought his Galaxy White IPA was better.

21. The next one
  22. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Rochefort 10. Beautiful brewing.
  23. patto1ro

1993 was the last real release. Not had the Wells version, so I can't comment on that.
    Crusader likes this.
  24. Dreadnaught & Zombie Dust on tap at FFF

RR sours for bottle

Heady for can
  25. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Toss up between AB Hunahpu and HotD Matt. Apple brandy barreling does MAGICAL things to already-stellar dark beers!
  26. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

So the current Wells version is a remake by a different brewery that now owns the brand name?
  27. patto1ro

Russian Stout was first brewed in the 18th century at the Park Street Brewery in Southwark when it was owned by a man called Thrale. After his death, it was bought by his manager and a banker and was known as Barclay Perkins. The company was bought by Courage in the 1950's, but Russian Stout was still brewed at park Street until 1968. After the closure of Park Street it was brewed at Courage's Horsleydown Brewery until that closed in the early 1980's. It was then brewed at John Smith's in Tadcaster until 1993, when Scottish & Newcastle couldn't be arsed with it any more. They eventually sold the rights to Wells & Young who revived a year or two ago.
    Crusader likes this.
  28. Without question the best beer I've ever had was a 3-4 year old Bell's Expedition.
  29. Bnoise11

Bnoise11 Savant (305) California Dec 25, 2012

Love your avatar. Go Bucks!!
    brewtus likes this.
  30. First sip of KBS was a similar feeling for me to what first time meth users report.
    BBPT5 is up there too.
  31. RandyV

RandyV Aficionado (235) Arizona Aug 8, 2010

+1 on The Abyss. It's like finding your religion.
  32. Zomer, Arthur, or 2010 Fou Foune. All consumed within the last year, and all completely amazing. Best in Class within their styles, imho.
  33. My alltime favorite beer is and for the foreseeable future will be Stone's Arrogant Bastard. One of the first craft brews I ever tried (with the possible exception of SN's Pale Ale), and it's all I drank for at least a year straight. Just yesterday I had a bit after a long time at our office beer club and it tasted as good as ever.

It would be hard for me to name the best beer I've EVER had (I tend to White Jordan's comment that preferences can be seasonal and strongly influenced by set and setting); but AB get's my vote as my favorite.
  34. DerrickW

DerrickW Advocate (510) Georgia Jan 17, 2013

New Belgium/Alpine Super IPA--have you ever had a beer that made you say, "Holy Fuck Balls!"
  35. I have had some amazing beers that are so rare or expensive, it's unlikely I'll get them again. Some of the best that are easy to get is Rochefort 6,8, & 10. I love La fin du Monde also.
  36. CNR76

CNR76 Aficionado (120) California Apr 18, 2012

37. I had it and it is incredible but try Fifty Fifty Edmund Fitzgerald...near perfect beer
  38. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Hmmm. Free.
  39. MagicJeff

MagicJeff Savant (300) Georgia Mar 21, 2012

I had a Double Sunshine from Lawson's with a couple of my best friends, and I'd say that was the best beer experience I've had in my day.
  40. It's not even close ...
    Russian River Pliny the Elder
    smitherz22 likes this.